Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I don't consider this a "loss" in the sense that I completely expected him to leave. Really glad he stayed after last season when there were rumors that he was considering a transfer. I think a lot of us forget that at one point he was a top-10 rated recruit who was a presumed OAD level talent. Even though he didn't find immediate success I am glad he stuck it out and now serves as a great example of how staying for another year can pay big dividends.

From a draft standpoint it wouldn't have made any sense to stay. A small part of me was hoping maybe he'd stay just because he enjoys college and wanted a chance to play in front of the crazies again and be part of a contending team. But I wish him all the best as he moves on.

Thanks Matthew.

Probably the only "pro ready" player on our roster.

Great shooter, but his overall deficiencies especially on the defensive end leave alot of questions.

In an ideal world, he would have stayed another year to improve his game and develop more.

Now he will be thrown into the NBA (or more likely G League) with only a 2nd round contract. Who knows if he will even stick with his lack of foot speed and defence.

A shame because he could have had a better draft position going down the Kyle Singler/Ryan Kelly route.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Thanks Matthew.

Probably the only "pro ready" player on our roster.

Great shooter, but his overall deficiencies especially on the defensive end leave alot of questions.

In an ideal world, he would have stayed another year to improve his game and develop more.

Now he will be thrown into the NBA (or more likely G League) with only a 2nd round contract. Who knows if he will even stick with his lack of foot speed and defence.

A shame because he could have had a better draft position going down the Kyle Singler/Ryan Kelly route.
    To what ideal world are you referring? Hard to see how he could have much more of standout year than he did this past season. And you speak of the NBA as if it were a place where he wouldn’t have the opportunity to train and improve his skills, strength, etc.

And, I’m sorry. Kyle and Ryan were both truly outstanding Blue Devils. But suggesting that either of their pathways to the NBA represents something to which Matt should aspire completely ignores the fact that neither saw any sustained success at the next level.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Loved watching Matt shoot the rock. I think his shooting may actually be underrated. That guy can score in the NBA. On the right team he can contribute. Much like Tre Jones, he made the absolute most of his sophomore year. I wish DJ followed their path but se la vie. Good luck Matt!

Other Devils leading the ACC in Scoring

RJ Barrett
    Marvin Bagley
    Luke Kennard

Not shown: Zion, Tatum, Jabari

Stats from http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...id/2/year/2014 only through 2013-2014

I'd say Matt Hurt is in good company!

Go, getcha some, young fella!

Good luck in your pursuit of an NBA career. You proved that hard work in the offseason can payoff with huge dividends. Congratulations on 1st team ACC and for leading the ACC in scoring. I'll be rooting for you.

GoDuke!

best of luck, matt....thank you for choosing duke and being part of the family !!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Rockets cut Matthew Hurt.

Hmmm.

Maybe he’s just too slow to play in the NBA, but he also had 15% body fat at the Combine. One player had a higher body fat than Matt (Raiquan Gray at 17.2). Over the past decade, about 6 guys at the Combine had higher body fats.

Fit people tend to have 14-17%, but NBA players tend to have 6-10%. And at the most recent Combine, 31 prospective players had less than 6%.

For Matt to make it in the NBA, I’d guess he needs to demonstrate the willingness and ability to get lean and mean. Some of it is genetics, of course, but my impression is that players who get traction in the NBA are ruthless about fitness. If interested, Matt might talk to Jon Scheyer or Nolan Smith (who both had less then 6%). Or talk to JJ, who went to the NBA with a body fat of 7%, and then got focused on fitness. Or Mason Plumlee, 6.15%. Or Miles Plumlee, 9.5%. Or he could go for broke and talk to Dahntay Jones, who shares the NBA record at 2.6%.

I’d guess this body fat measurement is a marker not just for quick athleticism but for effort. As in willing to make the effort to be freakishly athletic.

Some of our superstars over the past decade skipped the combine, and so I couldn’t easily find a body fat, but my hunch is that a few of the guys who didn’t perform at a high level in the NBA were also not dedicated to fitness.

The good news is that a lot of this is under his control.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/slimmest...draft-combine/
    https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/comb...FAT_PCT&dir=-1
    https://www.si.com/edge/2015/01/28/b...-miles-plumlee
    Last edited by johnb; 09-26-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

Hmmm.

Maybe he’s just too slow to play in the NBA, but he also had 15% body fat at the Combine. One player had a higher body fat than Matt (Raiquan Gray at 17.2). Over the past decade, about 6 guys at the Combine had higher body fats.

Fit people tend to have 14-17%, but NBA players tend to have 6-10%. And at the most recent Combine, 31 prospective players had less than 6%.

For Matt to make it in the NBA, I’d guess he needs to demonstrate the willingness and ability to get lean and mean. Some of it is genetics, of course, but my impression is that players who get traction in the NBA are ruthless about fitness. If interested, Matt might talk to Jon Scheyer or Nolan Smith (who both had less then 6%). Or talk to JJ, who went to the NBA with a body fat of 7%, and then got focused on fitness. Or Mason Plumlee, 6.15%. Or Miles Plumlee, 9.5%. Or he could go for broke and talk to Dahntay Jones, who shares the NBA record at 2.6%.

I’d guess this body fat measurement is a marker not just for quick athleticism but for effort. As in willing to make the effort to be freakishly athletic.

Some of our superstars over the past decade skipped the combine, and so I couldn’t easily find a body fat, but my hunch is that a few of the guys who didn’t perform at a high level in the NBA were also not dedicated to fitness.

Charles Barkley says hi.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Charles Barkley says hi.
    So does Europe.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Hmmm.

I'm exceptionally skeptical of a testing methodology if it's producing that kind of body fat number. i assume, for instance, they're using relatively inaccurate caliper or skin conductivity tests... but nobody is functioning normally at levels in the twos, let alone at a high athletic level.

not that it goes against the argument that you need to be in great shape, or that hurt isn't... just that that Jones number and many that purport to be so low are likely not accurate.

Charles Barkley says hi.
    Chuck is not alone

https://houseofheat.co/featured/15-of-the-fattest-nba-players-of-all-time/

Charles Barkley says hi.

Played 119 games in the league over 4 seasons and earned close to $9 mil.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Played 119 games in the league over 4 seasons and earned close to $9 mil.
    Please don't eat me! Please don't eat me!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Played 119 games in the league over 4 seasons and ̶e̶a̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶ made close to $9 mil.
    FIFY
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Hmmm.

I don't get it - Hurt, via resources associated with Duke and K's connections, MUST have had feedback that fitness and athleticism could be limitations on his ability to catch on to a roster. With the NIL situation in the NCAA, why wouldn't he stay in school a year of two? Could likely be very well compensated based on being a (if not *THE*) premiere player for Duke, all while having another year or two to really hone in on the fitness aspect (maybe even getting a deal w/ some high end training/nutritionist/etc during the offseasons).

I guess what I'm asking is, WHY leave Duke (assuming he was well informed of where he stood with the scouts/GMs)?

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post

I guess what I'm asking is, WHY leave Duke (assuming he was well informed of where he stood with the scouts/GMs)?
    Kids make mistakes.

I don't get it - Hurt, via resources associated with Duke and K's connections, MUST have had feedback that fitness and athleticism could be limitations on his ability to catch on to a roster. With the NIL situation in the NCAA, why wouldn't he stay in school a year of two? Could likely be very well compensated based on being a (if not *THE*) premiere player for Duke, all while having another year or two to really hone in on the fitness aspect (maybe even getting a deal w/ some high end training/nutritionist/etc during the offseasons).

NIL wasn't a done deal/sure thing to happen this year at the time of the decision either. If he knew what was to come to pass, might have made a different decision perhaps -- or, at least, would have been something to majorly consider in the decision-making process.

I'm bummed for Matt...

First of all, we don't know precisely what advice Matt got from Duke's advisers. I would imagine he was told nothing about the NBA was a sure thing for him and that he would have to put in a lot of work and show scouts aspects of his game they had not yet seen... but if he did, he would have a chance to be drafted and find a spot on a NBA roster. I expect Matt was very confident in his own abilities and felt he could impress the NBA folks. This is a kid who has been wildly successful at basketball his entire life. It is not hard to believe that he thought he would continue to have success as he went up against NBA prospects and players. That he didn't -- at least not yet -- should not be seen as an indictment of the advice (whatever it was) that he got from Duke.

And despite this setback, I expect we will see Matt Hurt earn a NBA paycheck at some point. It may take some work and development to get there, but I think he will get there.

-Jason "and if he doesn't, he will likely be able to carve out a very nice living playing overseas, where there is still a premium on outside shooting but not nearly as much of a premium on run/jump athleticism" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

First of all, we don't know precisely what advice Matt got from Duke's advisers. I would imagine he was told nothing about the NBA was a sure thing for him and that he would have to put in a lot of work and show scouts aspects of his game they had not yet seen... but if he did, he would have a chance to be drafted and find a spot on a NBA roster. I expect Matt was very confident in his own abilities and felt he could impress the NBA folks. This is a kid who has been wildly successful at basketball his entire life. It is not hard to believe that he thought he would continue to have success as he went up against NBA prospects and players. That he didn't -- at least not yet -- should not be seen as an indictment of the advice (whatever it was) that he got from Duke.

And despite this setback, I expect we will see Matt Hurt earn a NBA paycheck at some point. It may take some work and development to get there, but I think he will get there.

-Jason "and if he doesn't, he will likely be able to carve out a very nice living playing overseas, where there is still a premium on outside shooting but not nearly as much of a premium on run/jump athleticism" Evans
    Too bad for Hurt but it is not over for him. He needs to develop his game for the NBA. If he goes overseas he can play against pros for a year or two and still be only 23 or 24. I also think he can make to the NBA barring injuries and assuming he maintains his motivation.