Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’m a little puzzled by your comment, so maybe my response will draw some further comments from you to clarify.

I won’t claim K/staff/players should be super-confident going into ‘21-‘22, yet they will surely be somewhat optimistic. Williams might become quite a force at the 5. I assume his utter dominance in the ACCT v. UL was an outlier, but he was much-improved by season’s untimely end. Banchero looks a very real deal, and Griffin a likely starter. Maybe there’s enough uncertainty re the backcourt — handles, 3-bombs, decision-making — that fragility is accurate. It doesn’t “feel” that way to me, nor would I guess it’s the sense among players and coaches.
    This was in regards to Duke being a fragile team without Matthew Hurt....I will direct you to the "starting 5" discussion for my comments...(Just wanted to keep this as a Matthew Hurt thread).

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’m a little puzzled by your comment, so maybe my response will draw some further comments from you to clarify.

I won’t claim K/staff/players should be super-confident going into ‘21-‘22, yet they will surely be somewhat optimistic. Williams might become quite a force at the 5. I assume his utter dominance in the ACCT v. UL was an outlier, but he was much-improved by season’s untimely end. Banchero looks a very real deal, and Griffin a likely starter. Maybe there’s enough uncertainty re the backcourt — handles, 3-bombs, decision-making — that fragility is accurate. It doesn’t “feel” that way to me, nor would I guess it’s the sense among players and coaches.
    Because one of our major issues the past year as our backcourt, and it's hard to say it's in much better shape this year than last, and arguably with the loss of goldwire, and replacing steward with keels, a bit worse.

we have a PG who was very shaky,

and two options at 2:
    a barely top 20 recruit, who we would be excited about staying for multiple years in the past, but generally can't be expected to be all-anything
    or moore. I love Moore. I want him to be starting...but if he's our starting SG, oof.

Yes, I love the options in the frontcourt...but eventually someone has to handle the ball. And someone needs to be able to shoot.
    1200. DDMF.

Great college player. Good luck, Matt, worried you're going to need it at the next level.

But the Duke men's basketball twitter said he was back no?

I enjoyed having the chance to watch him play. He seems like a really nice guy. I wish him luck at the next level.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

As always, these things are a two-way street.

For Matthew Hurt it was 100% the right move. I think he's got a shot at getting drafted early in the 2nd round (late 1st round if he really impresses some scouts). I hope he makes it and has a great professional career.

For Duke this really hurts (no pun intended). While it's no shock to the team that he's declaring, it does leave us very thin overall unless we pick up Baldwin. We are already thin in the backcourt, and now we won't have a lot of wiggle room in the frontcourt either. But it is what it is.

Go Duke!

Thanks Matt and best of luck. You will be missed.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    But the Duke men's basketball twitter said he was back no?
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but just in case you're not, to clear things up the men's basketball IG/Twitter posted something completely unrelated to Matthew Hurt that started with "Hurts..." and ended with "will be back." And clever online people decided to cross off the middle part to convey "Hurt...will be back" as a joke.

Good luck Matt! Wish we could have actually fed him more on offense towards the end of the season. He was unstoppable at times (except when foul trouble happened).

And so it goes...’21-‘22 a rebuilding year....

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Next year’s squad is now noticeably less talented, but perhaps more cohesive.
    I read this and thought "Oh no, worse than this year?!?!?". Then re-read, and thought "Oh, comparing next year with him vs. without him". And then re-re-read, and wasn't sure. God help Duke fans if you meant the first.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I read this and thought "Oh no, worse than this year?!?!?". Then re-read, and thought "Oh, comparing next year with him vs. without him". And then re-re-read, and wasn't sure. God help Duke fans if you meant the first.
    I won’t speak for Scott, but I definitely read it as “next year’s team without Hurt is less talented but perhaps more cohesive than next year’s team with Hurt.” I would rather have Hurt than not, but I can see the direction of the team being more clear/consistent in strategy and probably MUCH better defensively.

Just because he was the ACC scoring leader with an unstoppable fadeaway?

All the best Matthew and thanks for two great years!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ...probably MUCH better defensively.
    I think this is the key in evaluating how much (if any) Matthew Hurt leaving will set us back.

On offense, Matthew scored 22.4 points per 40 minutes in 2020-21. I expect Paolo Banchero will have a similar points per 40. And while Mark Williams "only" scored 18.7 points per 40 for the season, in his last six games, he scored 23.8 points per 40 minutes. Which is a lot of numbers to say, assuming two of those three would be playing C and PF for Duke next season, the team wouldn't score many if any more points with Hurt than we would while Banchero and Williams (but not Hurt) were out there (which would probably be something like 65 out of 80 minutes). The remaining 15 minutes would be split by Henry Coleman (approx 9 points per 40, with room for improvement) and a perimeter player, with AJ Griffin sliding down to PF. Those latter minutes, assuming no improvement from Roach and Moore (which is unlikely) and that Keels would provide similar scoring as Steward did this season would provide between 13 and 17 points per 40. Doing a little math, it comes out that with Matthew Hurt here and no improvement from returning players, the team would score 2 or 3 points per game more than if Hurt wasn't on the team.

But Matthew quite frankly isn't much of a defender. I could easily see the team giving up at least 3 points fewer if he wasn't out there, and probably more than 3 points fewer. Also, unlike a great PG or great team defender, his presence doesn't make his teammates any more effective or efficient. And if you add all that up, the marginal advantage of having Hurt on next year's team would be small, probably nonexistent, and possibly a net negative. Obviously, that doesn't mean he's not a good player, it just means we'll be able to fill the minutes he would have played with guys who are just as good or better from an overall team standpoint (even though they're not as good at outside shooting).

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It's a little weird that Duke MBB called him a "walking bucket"*, but here are the official statements.

Attachment 12960

* "Beats being called a walking carpet." - Chewbacca (translated)
    Also weird that they let Hurt's statement go out with that typo.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Haha. Less talented next year then we would’ve been with him.

Right now we lose JG, DJ, Jaemyn and Hurt from last years team and have Banchero, Griffin and Keels incoming. Plus a summer of improvement for Jeremy, Wendell, Mark and Henry. I think that this is clearly a more talented team next year even without Hurt. The argument is whether we’re as talented as we’ve grown accustomed to from a Duke squad. I say we have that potential if the freshmen live up to their potential, but this year showed that isn’t as sure a thing as we’ve grown accustomed.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I will miss him, but he will do fine, either immediately in the NBA or as a two way.

Fortunately there are plenty of talented, experienced players in the transfer portal. Some 1,300 according to the Washington Post.
    Last edited by miramar; 04-14-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    There was little to no reason for Hurt to return. Good decision on his part. Wish him the best of luck.
    Vaya Con Dios; Go with God.

If Baldwin was concerned about playing time with Hurt staying, perhaps this is the gating item for his committing to Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I will miss him, but he will do fine, either immediately in the NBA or as a two way.

Fortunately there are plenty of talented, experienced players in the transfer portal. Some 1,300 according to the Washington Post.
    No offense but that seems like a rather dismissive statement to make about him.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I'm excited for Matthew and not worried about how this will impact our team next year--I guess because I fully expected him to go pro all along? DJ Steward and Jaemyn Brakefield made decisions that surprised me, but this one was not surprising.

And I agree with Kedsy, I think the team will still be very strong next year, particularly because improvements in defense will likely offset the offensive hit form not having Matthew Hurt. But ultimately some of that is based on having unproven freshmen instead of the proven offense of Matthew Hurt, so I understand why there is uncertainty.