Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    ^ no worky?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://www.tuko.co.ke/410404-top-10...gues-2021.html

genial disagreement! This site notes that the average European salary is in the $500k - $800k range with top players making several million per year...I think this affords Hurt a better opportunity. CLick on the $500k-$800k link and you can see salaries by league.
    That's the average salary in the Euroleague, the highest paying league, not all of Europe. Other leagues (even per that link) appear to pay considerably lower. $200-$300k is probably the high-water mark for Hurt at this stage of his career (still nice money).

^ no worky?
    The link? Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Realistically how much "bank" would Hurt, a player who wasn't drafted and isn't a household name outside of Tobacco Road, being making via NIL versus how much he'd be making in Europe?
    Well, if his pro career consists of 5 years in Europe, he'd probably be better off with a college degree.

Back to fat shaming, which wouldn't ordinarily occur to me, but in the interest of science, here's the body fat trend among players participating in the NBA Combine, beginning in the 2000-2001 season (they don't have info for a few seasons)...
    Maybe it's a greater focus on nutrition/weights, and maybe the NBA has a sense of what it takes to be effective, or both. Incidentally, NBA scouts may see Hurt as a Ryan Kelly, who--incidentally--led his Combine with a 14.75% BF. I mention this because players may not be able to control some aspects of their athleticism, but this particular metric is significantly affected by effort.

body fat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That's the average salary in the Euroleague, the highest paying league, not all of Europe. Other leagues (even per that link) appear to pay considerably lower. $200-$300k is probably the high-water mark for Hurt at this stage of his career (still nice money).

The link? Worked for me.
    If he can't make it in the Euro League, how does he expect to make the NBA?

If he can't make it in the Euro League, how does he expect to make the NBA?
    I agree that his expectations are probably not aligned with reality.

(Of course, I would love for him to prove everyone wrong and stick in the NBA for a long time)

https://www.tuko.co.ke/410404-top-10...gues-2021.html

genial disagreement! This site notes that the average European salary is in the $500k - $800k range with top players making several million per year...I think this affords Hurt a better opportunity. CLick on the $500k-$800k link and you can see salaries by league.
    One caveat: as is true for US pro sports, the median salary is much lower than the average salary. Stars might make millions, but average players on the team make MUCH lower salaries. Apparently, it's a little difficult to get transparency about such things, but this site estimates that the average player on a Euroleague team makes $65-70,000 per year. Or approximately what it costs to attend Duke for a year. According to that site, the Euroleague max salary is $5 million, which would presumably go to the team's star player or two. For comparison sake, they indicate that the average salary in the NBA is 7.7 million/yr, with stars making $40m/yr--though they seem to be mixing apples and oranges by using Euroleague's "typical" salary and the NBA's "average" salary, which is also going to get a bump because every team has a couple of very highly-paid players.

Average D League salary? $35,000.

In comparison, average MLB player salary: $4.1m/yr
    Minimum AAA minor league salary: $14,700, though if they play in the minors but make a 40-player major league roster, they make $46,000 per year.

Ie, it's a very steep pyramid.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...a10uo5nvc3yp4k

https://www.loveatfirstfit.com/guide...und-the-world/
    Last edited by johnb; 09-27-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    One caveat: as is true for US pro sports, the median salary is much lower than the average salary. Stars might make millions, but average players on the team make MUCH lower salaries. Apparently, it's a little difficult to get transparency about such things, but this site estimates that the average player on a Euroleague team makes $65-70,000 per year. Or approximately what it costs to attend Duke for a year. According to that site, the Euroleague max salary is $5 million, which would presumably go to the team's star player or two. For comparison sake, they indicate that the average salary in the NBA is 7.7 million/yr, with stars making $40m/yr--though they seem to be mixing apples and oranges by using Euroleague's "typical" salary and the NBA's "average" salary, which is also going to get a bump because every team has a couple of very highly-paid players.

Minimum AAA minor league salary: $14,700, though if they play in the minors but make a 40-player major league roster, they make $46,000 per year.

yep, fair point. I guess I think Hurt has more of a future internationally, maybe if things fall his way he can earn a decent living in Europe...I'm not familiar with what other skills he may have, not sure if B School or the law could beckon.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

I think there are also generally restrictions on the number of non-European players that a team can carry in European leagues. So it can still be difficult for a US player to land a high-salary gig overseas. You might be able to land a gig, but it might be in a third-division team and the salaries for those leagues tend to not be great.

That said, Hurt's game would seem to fit better in a European league, where the level of athleticism and overall quality of play is generally lower. Especially if he gets a bit stronger.

yep, fair point. I guess I think Hurt has more of a future internationally, maybe if things fall his way he can earn a decent living in Europe...I'm not familiar with what other skills he may have, not sure if B School or the law could beckon.
    Curious why you think B School or the law could beckon Matthew Hurt or why you'd think he'd have the skills to excel in either area.

I think Matthew should stay in the US and try a year in the G-League. If he dedicates himself to being in peak physical shape, I think his shooting can take him a long way. That high body fat is probably a result of him trying to pack on the weight with Juicy Lucys before his body was fully matured and ready to help transform it into muscle. He showed incredible improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 at Duke and I think he ought see if he can catch on with a team and follow the Lance Thomas, Quinn Cook, Seth Curry model. If not, the Ryan Kelly model isn't bad, but that started over here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Curious why you think B School or the law could beckon Matthew Hurt or why you'd think he'd have the skills to excel in either area.
    I don't. I only wondered if he had an alternative between the D League and playing overseas. If it just so happened that he's a really smart kid, I just speculated that maybe he had career alternatives to hoops.
    Was he a good student? I really have no idea...

I don't. I only wondered if he had an alternative between the D League and playing overseas. If it just so happened that he's a really smart kid, I just speculated that maybe he had career alternatives to hoops.
    I wonder if he had stayed until a senior and finished as ACC player of the year or was a major piece on a championship team - neither huge long-shots - if he would have been drafted in the first round. Players that make an NCAA run sometimes get overvalued. Of course we will never know this and either will Matt.

It might be interesting to know, over the past 20 to 30 years, how many of the Duke BB "starters" (or those who played substantial minutes) went on to have careers outside of basketball (and, obviously, I'm not including the ones who had professional careers in either the NBA or other pro leagues). l mean, the number who went on to law school, med school, business school, etc. or got jobs in the "real world". It seems like a lot of the Duke BB players either went into coaching in some form or into announcing/media work or worked on the peripheries of basketball. In my mind, this is not surprising, considering that basketball was the driving force in their lives up to and including their time at Duke.

I don't believe he ever made Academic All-ACC (requires a 3.0 GPA), but I could be wrong. Not sure what he majored in.

Regardless, best of luck to Matthew and I certainly wish him much success wherever he goes off to. He gave his all to Duke, especially last season.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    It might be interesting to know, over the past 20 to 30 years, how many of the Duke BB "starters" (or those who played substantial minutes) went on to have careers outside of basketball (and, obviously, I'm not including the ones who had professional careers in either the NBA or other pro leagues). l mean, the number who went on to law school, med school, business school, etc. or got jobs in the "real world". It seems like a lot of the Duke BB players either went into coaching in some form or into announcing/media work or worked on the peripheries of basketball. In my mind, this is not surprising, considering that basketball was the driving force in their lives up to and including their time at Duke.
    Zoubek comes to mind. There are probably many who have gotten non-basketball playing jobs, but related somehow to sports/media/entertainment.

I'm not familiar with what other skills he may have, not sure if B School or the law could beckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And why not medical school? "Dr. Hurt, Orthopedic Surgeon" has a nice ring to it.

Again I am grateful for all that Hurt gave us, but he’s not a super marketable guy and he doesn’t have the outgoing personality of Banchero or even Moore. I question how much he would make in NIL deals had he returned (and of course, he didn’t know the rule would be in effect when he made his decision to leave). Outside of Banchero and Griffin who are future lottery picks, and Moore getting the deal with Bonjangles, have any of our players gotten deals of significance? Mark Williams grabbing $50 a pop on Cameo?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Again I am grateful for all that Hurt gave us, but he’s not a super marketable guy and he doesn’t have the outgoing personality of Banchero or even Moore. I question how much he would make in NIL deals had he returned (and of course, he didn’t know the rule would be in effect when he made his decision to leave). Outside of Banchero and Griffin who are future lottery picks, and Moore getting the deal with Bonjangles, have any of our players gotten deals of significance? Mark Williams grabbing $50 a pop on Cameo?
    I mean, we have a lot of unknown quantities this season. Perhaps as the Duke team begins mowing down opponents, starting with Gonzaga, the offers will pour in.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    On a related note, how much PT was he guaranteed for this year at Duke - he was kind of recruited over with Banchero coming in. He was a very talented college player so I'm sure that he would have found plenty of minutes, but I'm not sure if he would have been able to really showcase himself.

Hurt was a great contributor to Duke and represented the University well - I am hoping for the best for him.
    I don’t think Hurt was recruited over. I think he probably made his intentions to go pro clear. Even if he stayed and Banchero came to Duke, he was going to have a lead role in the offense as an all-ACC caliber junior on a team that has questionable outside shooting this season.

He might have even done better this season with more drivers/slashers.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I don’t think Hurt was recruited over. I think he probably made his intentions to go pro clear. Even if he stayed and Banchero came to Duke, he was going to have a lead role in the offense as an all-ACC caliber junior on a team that has questionable outside shooting this season.

He might have even done better this season with more drivers/slashers.
    Agreed, I think he would have been great at the 4 spot with Banchero at the 5. Williams would have lost some minutes, in the same way that he struggled to get on the floor last season before Jalen Johnson left the team, but they all would have played plenty. We recruited Patrick Baldwin really hard who would have filled a similar role as Hurt, so I don't think the staff felt like another stretch 4 would have been too many.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Well, there is Taymon Domzalski, MD. Bilas and Snyder both got law degrees from Duke. Bilas is a litigator in practice in Charlotte.

Grant Hill has many business interests beyond his co-ownership of the Hawks (where he is vice chairman)
    Hill is also the Founder and Chairman of Hill Ventures, through which he has developed and invested more than $200 million in commercial real estate as well as four television stations. He is the Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Penta Mezzanine Fund, a $100 million private investment fund.
    Luol Deng has large real estate investments and has big-league contacts (Jamie Dimon, anyone?).

Mark Alarie had a career in banking and finance and is now president of iCertainty, a software firm.

I expect the list of high-achieving Dukies is long. And, I wouldn't discount the accomplishments of Trajan and Elton Brand, even though in basketball. There are only so many GM positions, many held by execs who did not play in the NBA.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013