A New Basketball Development “League”

I cannot decide whether this is a positive development for college recruiting; another step towards creating a structure more similar to the European soccer model or if this just a money making scheme. Maybe it’s all three. What do I know?

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ospect-venture

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    I cannot decide whether this is a positive development for college recruiting; another step towards creating a structure more similar to the European soccer model or if this just a money making scheme. Maybe it’s all three. What do I know?

given kevin ollie's success at developing players at uconn, I'm sure this will be a huge success /s
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Why don't they just team up with LaVar Ball; his JBA league was such a rousing success that it totally proves that the idea is pure genius.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/20/the-br...etball-league/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Why don't they just team up with LaVar Ball; his JBA league was such a rousing success that it totally proves that the idea is pure genius.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/20/the-br...etball-league/
    i wouldn't put the idea to bed just because the warren buffet of basketball, lavar ball, couldn't get it to succeed. I just don't think there's really a market for minor league basketball. college basketball is popular only for its ties to schools. The same is largely true of football. ventures to have professional leagues at different times of the year from the NFL have largely been lackluster, as it turns out to just be crappy football...yet people love college football, often producing far less skilled games.

There is a market for collegiate athletics because of the colleges themselves. The market isn't for minor league sports.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post

It can’t be “B” a money making scheme since there is no market. I hope the correct answer “A” but my choice is “None of the above”.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    It can’t be “B” a money making scheme since there is no market. I hope the correct answer “A” but my choice is “None of the above”.
    It could be a "Producers" money making scheme. But who would ever bet on failure.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i wouldn't put the idea to bed just because the warren buffet of basketball, lavar ball, couldn't get it to succeed. I just don't think there's really a market for minor league basketball. college basketball is popular only for its ties to schools. The same is largely true of football. ventures to have professional leagues at different times of the year from the NFL have largely been lackluster, as it turns out to just be crappy football...yet people love college football, often producing far less skilled games.

There is a market for collegiate athletics because of the colleges themselves. The market isn't for minor league sports.
    Bingo. The last paragraph says it all. It also is a predictor for the success of paying college players out of retail sales proceeds.

Overtime Elite League

Like many of you, I am a bit confounded by all the recent changes in college basketball.

The Overtime Elite League (OTE) has been mentioned in a few posts on other threads. I looked into that, primarily through its website. From my perspective, it raises more questions than it answers.

The plan, apparently, is to have the best 30 high school junior and senior live in the same city. They will each receive a minimum of $100,000 per year. They will have health and disability coverage. They will also receive up to $100,000 in tuition assistance if they are unable to play professionally. They receive state of the art coaching, training, nutrition, and other services. The players can also benefit from sale of their name, image and likeness.

Our own Jay Williams is on the Board of Directors, as is Carmelo Anthony. Avery Johnson has an advisory role.

It seems to be a high overhead venture. How the heck do they make any money? Are they asking these young basketball players for a share of their future earnings?

I don't get it. Where does their anticipated revenue come from? Nobody is going to pay to see these 16 to 18 year old kids play.
    Last edited by MartyClark; 05-02-2021 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Previous discussion

I agree with your take. Others don’t.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...t-%93League%94

Oops, it looks like I started a new thread when this league was already covered in a prior thread.

Mods, feel free to merge or delete.