Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prayers for Terry Holland and family

I was listening to Jerry Ratcliffe’s podcast recently. His guest was Ann Holland, Terry’s wife. It was a very interesting listen particularly for people who grew up w the ACC in the 70s and 80’s. Near the end of her interview, she revealed that Terry has dementia. 😢 He is very much a part of the fabric of the ACC. Big time gut punch.
    Last edited by devilirium; 04-11-2021 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Dfd

Holland named his dog “Dean” because it whined all night.

She goes into that whole ordeal. Dean casually commented to Terry that he wouldn’t win an ACC game at UVA his first year. That sowed an immediate dislike. There’s a great recruiting story about Lefty getting Terry to Davidson. But, he didn’t actually name the dog Dean. His 3 yr old did and then no one in the press believed Terry. So he came up w that explanation.

Prayers for Coach Holland and the family.

Sad news..Prayers lifted..

Sad to hear, he was a giant in the old ACC.

Terry Holland was one of Lefty Driesell's key players at Davidson

People sometimes forget Lefty's great teams at Davidson. Holland was one of the starting forwards with Don Davidson. Other key players were Fred Hetzel, the All-American, Barry Teague and Charlie Marcon. They were a great team that battled Bucky Waters very good West Virginia teams. Holland always seemed a class act. So sorry to read the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    People sometimes forget Lefty's great teams at Davidson. Holland was one of the starting forwards with Don Davidson. Other key players were Fred Hetzel, the All-American, Barry Teague and Charlie Marcon. They were a great team that battled Bucky Waters very good West Virginia teams. Holland always seemed a class act. So sorry to read the news.
    ack, Fred Hetzel, would've been a Blue Devil were it not for a certain noted hoopster turncoat!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ack, Fred Hetzel, would've been a Blue Devil were it not for a certain noted hoopster turncoat!
    The recruitment of Holland to Davidson is another memorable page in the Driesell recruiting playbook.

As Ann Holland tells it, Lefty would often to have to sleep in his car to make up for the limited recruited budget of the school. I suspect that he kept it well-maintained.

Anyway, Lefty visited the Hollands on the nite of his senior prom. Terry wanted to go to Wake Forest bc his high school coach Jackie Murdock (sic) had just become the Deacs HC. Lefty does the usual recruiting pitch, but it got to be extensive (shocker). Terry interrupts and tells Lefty that he's welcome to stay but that he has to pick up his girl and present the senior class gift. Not missing a beat, Lefty says "Well, Turry why dontcha take my car and just bring it back when y'all are done". So Terry picks up Ann Holland. They go to the prom, he presents the gift, they attend to the dance, etc.

Until a few minutes later, when Holland realizes that he's left his parents with Lefty. But trusting his parents, he tells Ann that they'll enjoy the dance and come back at their appointed time.

He arrives back home and his parents have signed his LOI to go to Davidson.

And that's the rest of the story...

Edit to add: Murdock became the freshman coach at Wake not the HC.

And who can forget all his Food Lion ads back in the day!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And who can forget all his Food Lion ads back in the day!

-jk
    This never ceases to amuse me.

Holland had the difficult job of replacing Lefty after Lefty left to turn Maryland into the UCLA of the East.

Holland couldn't keep Davidson nationally relevant. But they continued to dominant the SC and he was the only post-Lefty Davidson coach to have any success until McKillop took over.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This never ceases to amuse me.
    If I admit I get this reference will you also believe me if I say I'm under 50?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    You must have been an early ACC adopter like myself

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Holland had the difficult job of replacing Lefty after Lefty left to turn Maryland into the UCLA of the East.

Holland couldn't keep Davidson nationally relevant. But they continued to dominant the SC and he was the only post-Lefty Davidson coach to have any success until McKillop took over.
    Yep, Larry Brown briefly took over for Lefty, but quickly figured out that he couldn't relax the admissions so he bailed. Then Davidson called Holland.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Do you sail with the Pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do you sail with the Pilot?
    All the way!

-jk

I miss Dinah Shore.

(On another note — I think I’ve identified my peer group peeps).

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    All the way!

-jk
    How about "hurray for Valleydale" ?