Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2022 starting 5

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Don't forget Baker. As experienced as anyone on the team, and per my prior post, we may need his shooting. If he shoots it better!
    Well, given that our two best shooters declared for the draft, we really need Baker to step up his 3pt shooting.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'm starting to be concerned by the sheer lack of available bodies on next year's roster. We're one injury away from having walk ons get significant minutes on a Duke team...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Here's an interesting tidbit: In the ten games in which Mark Williams played more than 15 minutes this season, Jeremy Roach shot 40.0% from three (on 3.0 attempts per game). It's a lot easier to shoot well when someone else's gravity is drawing defenders away from you.
    Yes interesting. Following up on that, I checked on our three other highest volume 3 point shooters from last year: Hurt, Steward, and Moore.

In those same 10 games that Mark played more than 15 minutes, they shot essentially the same from 3 as their full season averages. Hurt was a 44.4% shooter from 3; in those 10 games he shot 43.1%. Steward was a 34% shooter from 3; in those 10 games he shot 35.2%. Moore was a 30% shooter from 3 for the season; in those 10 games he shot 33%. So basically the same for those three guys.

Maybe having Mark (or anyone else) drawing defenders away had a more significant impact on Jeremy feeling comfortable in his shot, moreso than the other three guys, or had more of an impact on him because of his positioning on the court when taking those shots in most instances. Who knows? In any event, Mark is going to play a lot of minutes this year, and if Jeremy can shoot 40% from 3-point land, that would really help this team go to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by goduke03861 View Post
    I'm starting to be concerned by the sheer lack of available bodies on next year's roster. We're one injury away from having walk ons get significant minutes on a Duke team...
    My take on Duke’s confirmed roster in 2021-2022 as it stands right now:

Senior: Joey Baker
    Juniors: Wendell Moore, Jr., Keenan Worthington, Michael Savarino
    Sophomores: Henry Coleman, III, Mark Williams, Jeremy Roach
    Freshmen: Paolo Banchero, A.J. Griffin, Trevor Keels

I would agree that lack of bodies if an injury occurs makes Duke pretty thin. I see 7-8 players in that list that could get significant minutes. Not sure if depth will be an issue as I think Duke will land another transfer or freshman recruit for next season. On paper, I don’t see Duke’s roster next year as particularly dominant or eye popping but they should have a solid team.

Quote Originally Posted by goduke03861 View Post
    Don't be. There are over 1,200 available players in the transfer portal. We will have plenty of bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    Don't be. There are over 1,200 available players in the transfer portal. We will have plenty of bodies.
    I would normally agree but the Duke level guys have mostly made their decisions. I think we're all in on Blake at this moment to help our roster

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

I would agree that lack of bodies if an injury occurs makes Duke pretty thin. I see 7-8 players in that list that could get significant minutes. Not sure if depth will be an issue as I think Duke will land another transfer or freshman recruit for next season. On paper, I don’t see Duke’s roster next year as particularly dominant or eye popping but they should have a solid team.
    In the Matthew Hurt to the NBA thread there were the following comments...

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’m a little puzzled by your comment, so maybe my response will draw some further comments from you to clarify.

I won’t claim K/staff/players should be super-confident going into ‘21-‘22, yet they will surely be somewhat optimistic. Williams might become quite a force at the 5. I assume his utter dominance in the ACCT v. UL was an outlier, but he was much-improved by season’s untimely end. Banchero looks a very real deal, and Griffin a likely starter. Maybe there’s enough uncertainty re the backcourt — handles, 3-bombs, decision-making — that fragility is accurate. It doesn’t “feel” that way to me, nor would I guess it’s the sense among players and coaches.
    This was in regards to Duke being a fragile team without Matthew Hurt....

CameronDuke has pointed out why I would agree that Duke is a "fragile team" right now.

Duke has offered Jaylen Blakes, showing the coaches are serious about adding a PG candidate. They see the need either through recruitment or though the transfer portal.

The offer is still out to Patrick Baldwin and with Matthew Hurt definitely going pro, Patrick's decision to play for his father or at Duke has been clearer. I realize he is gifted but quite thin to play inside in Div I. Still, we have Banchero who could handle some minutes inside and Coleman at PF.

I suspect we'll add a backup PG (hopefully Blakes) and we might add a backup big (that's less clear). There is still the outside chance that we could land Baldwin, but that seems unlikely.

I think we'll have a VERY good team next year. I think folks are overly nervous based on the Jalen Johnson experience, but I'd expect Banchero and Griffin to be studs, and I'd expect a much better overall season from Roach and Williams. Heck, even just "second half of his freshman season Williams" is a borderline All-ACC caliber player, barring any improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I suspect we'll add a backup PG (hopefully Blakes) and we might add a backup big (that's less clear). There is still the outside chance that we could land Baldwin, but that seems unlikely.

I think we'll have a VERY good team next year. I think folks are overly nervous based on the Jalen Johnson experience, but I'd expect Banchero and Griffin to be studs, and I'd expect a much better overall season from Roach and Williams. Heck, even just "second half of his freshman season Williams" is a borderline All-ACC caliber player, barring any improvement.
    Who do you think starts? If I had to guess, right now, I’d say 5 of the following 6:

Guards: Roach, Moore, Jr., Keels
    Forwards: Griffin, Banchero
    Center: Williams

I like Roach, Moore, Jr., Griffin, Banchero, and Williams but worry about Duke’s shooting so maybe Keels over Moore, Jr.

Baker and Coleman, III off the bench. Would be nice to add Blakes and a transfer big man.

Chiming in my agreement! This last season gave me ptsd but so many weird factors like no fans in cameron, having something like 6 games cancelled on us and like 3 or four of those being in a row, jalen leaving like you mentioned, i think this team is at the very least comparable talent wise and will hopefully have significantly less "covid adversity" this next season.

Who do you think starts? If I had to guess, right now, I’d say 5 of the following 6:

Guards: Roach, Moore, Jr., Keels
    Forwards: Griffin, Banchero
    Center: Williams

I like Roach, Moore, Jr., Griffin, Banchero, and Williams but worry about Duke’s shooting so maybe Keels over Moore, Jr.

Baker and Coleman, III off the bench. Would be nice to add Blakes and a transfer big man.
    Assuming no more departures or surprise additions, I think Roach, Griffin, Banchero, and Williams are all but locks to start. One of Moore and Keels will be the SG, and I honestly don’t have a feel for which yet. Each can make a case depending on development over the summer. But either way, I think both will play major minutes, so I am not too concerned about who starts. The 7th man at the moment would probably be Coleman as the third big. Baker could force his way into the mix off the bench (especially if he gets stronger and can play some PF), if Blake’s chooses Duke he would be the backup PG. I would love for another big just to complete a 5v5 practice with recruited players, but that seems iffy at the moment as we missed out on Gurley and seem likely to miss on Baldwin (who obviously would have been more than just a backup).

If Baldwin is coming to Duke, I expect we will know in the next week. Was he waiting on Hurt? He has his answer now. I’ll handicap it at 30% he’s coming.

With Baldwin and a backup PG (Blakes),I think we are a top 5 team with the most talented top 7 in the country and will be extremely excited about next year.

With a backup big and a backup PG, I think we are a top 10 team with the best front court in the country and will be extremely excited about next year.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    Chiming in my agreement! This last season gave me ptsd but so many weird factors like no fans in cameron, having something like 6 games cancelled on us and like 3 or four of those being in a row, jalen leaving like you mentioned, i think this team is at the very least comparable talent wise and will hopefully have significantly less "covid adversity" this next season.
    Yep, and I think it will be better talentwise, as I think Banchero and Griffin are going to be better than Johnson/Hurt, especially since Johnson quit partway through. I think that pairing will be much better than Roach/Moore/Williams should be much better next year than that same trio was this year; a full season of second-half Williams would be enough by itself to make that trip substantially better, and I think we will see notable improvements from all 3. I think that will more than make up for the loss of Goldwire, who was fantastic defensively but a liability offensively. Keels should be a wash with freshman Steward. That doesn’t mention any gains from Coleman or Baker improving, or the possibility of minor contributions from someone like Blakes.

Beyond talent, as others have mentioned I think the parts will fit better together, especially defensively. And as you mentioned, continuity should hopefully be a huge upgrade for us. I am pretty bullish on next year’s team, especially if we add a couple of reserves to improve practice competition. Maybe not a top-5 team, but I would feel good about top-10 with definite 1 seed upside.

Yep, and I think it will be better talentwise, as I think Banchero and Griffin are going to be better than Johnson/Hurt, especially since Johnson quit partway through. I think that pairing will be much better than Roach/Moore/Williams should be much better next year than that same trio was this year; a full season of second-half Williams would be enough by itself to make that trip substantially better, and I think we will see notable improvements from all 3. I think that will more than make up for the loss of Goldwire, who was fantastic defensively but a liability offensively. Keels should be a wash with freshman Steward. That doesn’t mention any gains from Coleman or Baker improving, or the possibility of minor contributions from someone like Blakes.

Beyond talent, as others have mentioned I think the parts will fit better together, especially defensively. And as you mentioned, continuity should hopefully be a huge upgrade for us. I am pretty bullish on next year’s team, especially if we add a couple of reserves to improve practice competition. Maybe not a top-5 team, but I would feel good about top-10 with definite 1 seed upside.
    I think we would see noticeable improvements from all 3 in a normal year. And I expect the improvements to be even more dramatic with a full offseason and preseason and non conference schedule. Plus I expect both Banchero and Griffin to command a lot of attention opening things up for these 3. I can’t wait to watch Williams and Banchero play off each other. Sad to see Hurt go but we have loads of talent and potential.