NCAA Ref who fainted

Bert Smith is OK now. But his fainting was caused by a blood clot in a lung.

“[The doc] sits down next to the bed,” Smith continues, “and she says: ‘I saw your fall tonight. Something doesn’t add up. I want to know why you fell.’ She checked a few things out, came back in and took me through the car wash. Just a lot of tests. And they found out.

“She said: ‘I got the answer to the question. You went down because you had a blood clot in your lung.’”

Smith’s pausing. Dr. Katie Trammel, he’s wanting me to know, may have saved his life.
    -jk

Very impressed with how Dr Trammel pursued the underlying etiology of Smith's syncope to arrive at the pulmonary embolism diagnosis. His crew recommended he go to the ER a few hours later as they were concerned about a concussion as they had heard the sound his made when he fell. It would have been easy to feel he was just dehydrated and not done further testing. Likely saved his life.

This piece in USA Today details things well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...fe/7148461002/

It makes no sense that he wasnt taken to a hospital immediately. It isn't normal to just 'go to ground' like that, and the there are several serious conditions that can precipitate it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It makes no sense that he wasnt taken to a hospital immediately. It isn't normal to just 'go to ground' like that, and the there are several serious conditions that can precipitate it.
    Also very bad practice to have the official wheeled off the court on a stretcher without cardiac monitor/defibrillator in place(see photo in USA Today article).
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K