Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2021 Masters

NHK Coverage

Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Will Asians take over the PGA tour like they've taken over the LPGA? Don't laugh. I remember the change that occurred after Se Ri Pak exploded on women's golf a little over 20 years ago.
    We have had two major winners who are Asian in 2020/2021. Collin Morikawa is of Chinese and Japanese descent (although he grew up in Los Angeles) and won the 2020 PGA Championship at TPC Harding. Hideki Matsuyama won the
    Masters today (Japanese). Sung Jae Im from Korea is a stud too.

Will Asians take over the PGA tour like they've taken over the LPGA? Don't laugh. I remember the change that occurred after Se Ri Pak exploded on women's golf a little over 20 years ago.
    I read some article a while back that the LPGA courses largely benefit a certain type of golfer (without getting into too much detail, it's about precision) while PGA courses typically require a different type of golfer (i.e. strength/long drives) and the author posited that those differences were a big factor in the types of golfers that win events.

Of course, I'm not saying Asian golfers can't/won't start winning more PGA events just that there are differences between the men's and women's games that may emphasize slightly different skillets (and of course I'm not saying all Asian golfers are X (insert quality here), merely pointing out a theory I had heard that attempted to explain the dominance of Asian golfers on the LPGA tour and not the PGA).

Definitely a momentus occasion for Matsuyama and Japan!

To win any major. Good for him.
    Yes, Matsuyama is the first Japanese golfer to win any major and just the second Asian golfer ever to win a major. Y.E. Yang (from South Korea) came from behind to defeat Tiger Woods to win the 2009 PGA Championship at Hazeltine National in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yes, Matsuyama is the first Japanese golfer to win any major and just the second Asian golfer ever to win a major. Y.E. Yang (from South Korea) came from behind to defeat Tiger Woods to win the 2009 PGA Championship at Hazeltine National in Minnesota.
    True only if you mean male Japanese/Asian golfers.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Seventeen-year-old Tsubasa Kajitani of Japan won the Augusta National Women’s Amateur last weekend. Good month for Japanese golf.

FWIW, the Augusta National has been heavily invested in growing golf in Asia over the last decade. Good on them, and congratulations to these two fine golfers from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    He’s got it, and I’m happy for him. Great representative for Japan!
    yes, good for him, though your inadvertent voodoo almost cost him...not quite the final round I had hoped for...