Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check Your Pokemon Cards

95-99 are hot...

#1 global media brand
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    95-99 are hot...

#1 global media brand
    My son is an active player and investor in Magic: The Gathering cards. I really don't understand this, but he values his collection at over $5000 and there are websites that look like stock market charts that show the value of cards on a daily basis. The whole thing seems so kooky, but clearly there's a market for this stuff.

https://epicstream.com/news/JakeVype...r-Sold-on-eBay

An Alpha Black Lotus, the most expensive Magic: The Gathering card in the world, has broken its own record, selling for more than $500,000 on eBay.

The Black Lotus originally printed in the Alpha set, which is the first print run of the first MTG cards originally released in 1993. with a case signed by the card's illustrator Christopher Rush has sold for $511,100.00 in an eBay auction, the most expensive card ever sold on the website, and is double the price of a Black Lotus which sold for $250,000 last year. Rush passed away in 2016 at 50-years-old.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

My youngest son was/is a collector. He is now selling his rarest cards on eBay. He has kept them in "gem mint" condition, and sends them off to an independent rater to get that appellation applied before he puts them up on the bay. He has had several cards that have gone for hundreds of dollars. I think the best one so far was about $650 or so. He has others he has yet to sell that are similarly priced.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Will have to check some boxes in my basement to see if my old MTG cards are there.

I always think about going back through my old cards to see if I have any good ones. I know I don't have any super rare stuff, but I have a ton of cards. Might be a few hundred dollars worth in there, although that probably isn't enough to convince me to sell them.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    One of my sons collected the Wiz Kidz pirates games when he was a kid. Kept all of that stuff and recently has gotten into collecting them again, so, he's not selling any of his ships but he is trading them. I found a factory box online and bought it for him as a Christmas present this year, he was excited to get it.

If they haven't been individually and lovingly stored in an archival quality rig, you might as well clip them to your bikes.

-jk

I’ve got an extra Dave Kingman that I will trade heads-up for a Félix Millán.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    If they haven't been individually and lovingly stored in an archival quality rig, you might as well clip them to your bikes.
    I suspect some younger posters know not what you refer to.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Yeah, it's really hard to keep them in good condition. I had a couple of Steve Young Rookie cards that were selling last year for about $35,000 at Gem/Mint. I looked at mine, which were in a plastic notebook sleeve for the last 30 years or so, they looked perfect to the naked eye. Sent them off to get graded and they came back as 6 and 7 which are worth less than what I paid to have them graded and slabbed. Bummer.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My son is an active player and investor in Magic: The Gathering cards. I really don't understand this, but he values his collection at over $5000 and there are websites that look like stock market charts that show the value of cards on a daily basis. The whole thing seems so kooky, but clearly there's a market for this stuff.

https://epicstream.com/news/JakeVype...r-Sold-on-eBay
    There is a market for EVERYTHING...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes. Some markets are more lucrative than others. Or have you never been to a flea market/swap meet? Never know where you’ll find a Ming bowl!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This is true. Over the years I haphazardly collected autographs and recently had them confirmed and valued by an agency. Most are in the $100-$200 range but I have a Michael Jordan autograph on a legal document that was valued at $1000. My entire collection was valued at about $5000 so after 25+ years I moved them from a drawer to a safe deposit box.
    Rich

Re Pokemon card. Anyone know any distributors or have connections with stores to get access to inventory? I'm willing to trade tickets for access to inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    One of my sons collected the Wiz Kidz pirates games when he was a kid. Kept all of that stuff and recently has gotten into collecting them again, so, he's not selling any of his ships but he is trading them. I found a factory box online and bought it for him as a Christmas present this year, he was excited to get it.
    That was a great little game

The real market where you can make money in MTG cards is the stock market. Years ago, my son was also a active player. He spent some time explaining to me how Hasbro (the company that sells them) carefully controlled their availability and intrinsic value. That impressed me. So, for his next birthday, I bought him some Hasbro shares. Sold them three years later for an over 100% profit. And, unlike the physical cards, the condition of the shares didn't affect the price

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    The real market where you can make money in MTG cards is the stock market. Years ago, my son was also a active player. He spent some time explaining to me how Hasbro (the company that sells them) carefully controlled their availability and intrinsic value. That impressed me. So, for his next birthday, I bought him some Hasbro shares. Sold them three years later for an over 100% profit. And, unlike the physical cards, the condition of the shares didn't affect the price
    My son apparently skipped that step and went right to crypto, including Dogecoin. I'm not a fan of crypto but he's doing it on his own and dealing with hundreds, not thousands, of dollars so I'm letting him have his fun with it. I figure it's a small price to pay for him to experience the rollercoaster of it all.
    Rich

Dangit! You mean those kids in middle school that I beat up and stole their lunch money, I should have instead stolen their pokemon cards...? Opportunities missed.

My son apparently skipped that step and went right to crypto, including Dogecoin. I'm not a fan of crypto but he's doing it on his own and dealing with hundreds, not thousands, of dollars so I'm letting him have his fun with it. I figure it's a small price to pay for him to experience the rollercoaster of it all.
    I wish I could generate some enthusiasm for cryptocurrency. Actually, that's not true, I don't and I really don't want to. Having said that, the best way to learn is to have some skin in the game. It tends to focus the attention. I'm happy to leave all the new and exciting frontiers to the younger set. I hope your son has a successful and educational adventure with it.

Section 15

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese