Wendell Moore and the NBA draft?

I've seen a lot of people pencil in Moore as the 6th man, but I am not sure he'll 100% be around next season. Before DJ's announcement, if we polled this forum to choose between DJ and Wendell who will declare first, Wendell would have won by a land slide.

The only reason that I see him sticking around is because he grew up a huge Duke fan and didn't get to play in the NCAAs yet.

Nothing would surprise me in today’s climate. I will say that Moore seems to have earned K’s trust and that should go a long way. He should expect to play big minutes and have the ball in his hands a lot. I don’t think a transfer would make sense because he’s already earned his place in our system. Really hope he stays but again, if he leaves then I can’t say I’d be shocked just because I’ve gotten pretty numb to it by now.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    The only reason that I see him sticking around is because he grew up a huge Duke fan and didn't get to play in the NCAAs yet.
    That's your only reason? Not that Moore isn't projected (nor would) to go anywhere in any draft?
    Hell, over half this board seems to enjoy bashing Wendell. I'm not in that half, but I can see full and well that he's not even close to being NBA ready, and likely won't ever be.
    I'll take 4 years of him in Cameron and returning one day to coach, please.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Nothing would surprise me in today’s climate.
    UC that is the sad truth

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Nothing would surprise me in today’s climate.

I agree...I expected to click on this thread to read he had declared
    Last edited by Bob Green; 04-03-2021 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's your only reason? Not that Moore isn't projected (nor would) to go anywhere in any draft?
    Hell, over half this board seems to enjoy bashing Wendell. I'm not in that half, but I can see full and well that he's not even close to being NBA ready, and likely won't ever be.
    I'll take 4 years of him in Cameron and returning one day to coach, please.
    Yep, I concur with your last sentence.

Moore is not my favorite player to watch — I’m a sucker for great pure shooters and excellent passers — picture a combination of Luke Kennard and Tyus Jones (not asking for much, right?) — but at his peak he’s pretty darn good, especially when you factor in his contributions on defense.

I would love for him to play four years at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yep, I concur with your last sentence.

Moore is not my favorite player to watch — I’m a sucker for great pure shooters and excellent passers — picture a combination of Luke Kennard and Tyus Jones (not asking for much, right?) — but at his peak he’s pretty darn good, especially when you factor in his contributions on defense.

I would love for him to play four years at Duke.
    Steven43. Are you old enough to remember JJ Redick.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Steven43. Are you old enough to remember JJ Redick.
    Absolutely! Born in ‘70; became a Duke fan during the ‘77-‘78 season.

I watched JJ play in person ten times or so each season he was at Duke. Ran into him a couple of times (once with Chris Duhon!) at Bojangles on Hillsborough Rd, not far from campus. Nice guy. GREAT player.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Before DJ's announcement, if we polled this forum to choose between DJ and Wendell who will declare first.
    Well I guess we’ll never know, but I don’t agree at all. Never even crossed my mind that Wendell would consider the draft. On a weak Duke team he trailed DJ as a scoring option and was a bad shooter from 3. Earlier in the season he was relegated to the bench. He has NBA ready strength and has decent defense, but I’d guess he wasn’t really on any draft boards after not making a real leap this year (I havent looked in a while).

DJ on the other hand was best backcourt scoring option by far. He has NBA level quickness and athleticism, albeit a bit slight of frame. But that’s nothing an offseason regiment can’t fix by next NBA season.

The lone area where Wendell had DJ beat was in strength/NBA physicality (and even there, its a slight margin b/c while DJ was thin he had other physical gifts like quickness & hops).

Now, I think DJ is a 2nd round pick and i didn’t think he was going to go, but b/w the two I thought it was more likely our 2nd best player was going rather than our 3rd or 4th. Wendell would go under after so on the list of “who might go” i would have had Wendell in the 1% chance camp, but figured DJ was probably the 10% camp along with Williams.