Grant Hill named Managing Director of USA Basketball

Wow, what an incredible honor!

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...-director.aspx

ETA: Correction - Men's Basketball. Replacing Jerry Colangelo

^the link didn't work for me, but this one should. Can't find the PR on USAB website...

Managing Director for Men's National Team (senior team-focused role, I think)

Incredible honor. TBH, I didn't know he was staying that active in stuff like this. Still my favorite player of all time (ok tied with Laettner), so its great to see him having so much success post-playing career.

The current Chairman of USA Basketball, (Ret.) Martin Dempsey, who has served as U.S. Army Chief of Staff and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, holds a Masters in English Literature from Duke and is current on faculty at Duke.

Meant to say (Ret.) General. Can't type.

This weekend just keeps getting better and better.

This is an incredible honor AND an enormous challenge. With the poor result at the World Championships, the US program has slipped from where it was just a few years back. We certainly still have the best talent, but getting all the best players to play will, I think, be a big challenge moving forward. It's nice that the Duke/USA Basketball connection stays strong.

As Silky said, Grant has been a tremendous success in his post-playing career.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedweb View Post
    The current Chairman of USA Basketball, (Ret.) Martin Dempsey, who has served as U.S. Army Chief of Staff and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, holds a Masters in English Literature from Duke and is current on faculty at Duke.
    He's K's pal, by the way.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Congrats to Grant Hill! It's a big job moving forward, with a lot of pressure and little recognition unless the USA fails.

I hope he devotes himself full-time to the job, because I want him to succeed for him, for Duke and for the USA. Leaving the booth would seem to be a logical choice.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He's K's pal, by the way.
    Great Hill? I would hope so!

Go Grant! Keep making us proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Great Hill? I would hope so!

Go Grant! Keep making us proud.
    Gen. Marty!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I guess he therefore gets to hire all the refs in the USA and Duke will get even more than all the calls? Sounds good!

I saw a headline that said "Hill to take over following Colangelo" (or...something like that) and I was like "Hill? Who? Which Hill?" Super excited to find out it's Grant! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Wow, what an incredible honor!...
    Agreed.

Coach K, Colangelo, and the former Chair of the Joint Chiefs are solid, but when USA basketball can get Grant Freaking Hill to take a day job... What a break for the organization.