The Future of College Basketball

I see a lot of statements lamenting 1AD, the transfer portal, older coaches retiring, NIL, early draft entry, etc. Several posts seem to indicate that their enthusiasm for the college game is taking a hit.

I, for one, do not see this happening for me. Change happens. For example, free agency did not kill professional sports, as many said it would. If anything, it creates more buzz in the offseason and gives fans something to talk about, dream about, lament about, etc. And it creates the opportunity for last-place teams one year to turn around and win it all the next year, which engages fan interest. I don't think any type of free agency kills college sports, either. It just changes it. And in the end, coaches and staffs will adjust to it and field the best possible teams. Maybe they do it like some pro teams - gear up for their one shot. Or maybe they do it like successful franchises by building a culture and trying to sustain success year-after-year. Either way (or in any other way), people will still care and people will still watch. From my experience, the only things that can significantly hurt a sport* are 1) cheating, e.g. steroids in baseball, throwing games due to gambling, etc., or 2) lockouts/strikes, e.g. not playing the games due to people arguing over who wants to make more money. Anything other changes - free agency, the 3 point line, the designated hitter, the play-in games, instant replay, coaches challenges, the electronic line judge, adding more games to the schedule, coaching carousels, etc. - one can like or dislike them (or simply not care), but they don't stop a significant number of people from watching. People may wish things were different (I wish the ACC had less teams so there could be home and away with each team, each season), but it doesn't stop them from watching.

And IMO the changes that are happening give the power to the players. Again IMO for too long the colleges, conferences, NCAA, coaches, media outlets, etc. have made billions of dollars+ off these kids. You can argue about the value of a scholarship/education and such, but it really is a drop in the bucket compared to the money that the business side makes. Rich people making money by exploitation. So if the exploited think they can improve their standing somehow by taking a legal, ethical action, I'm fine to allow it. It's their lives, and they should be in control of it. It's galling that the NCAA hides behind the term amateurism. Do they think NCAA staffs, coaches, Jay Bilas, etc. are amateurs? (OK, I intentionally used Bilas as my announcer example just to get a response - ya'll know what I mean). So the players, the workers are amateurs and shouldn't make money, but the NCAA, etc. can be professionals and make billions? Really?

Finally I wonder if Duke were playing this weekend, if people would still be as upset. And if then those same players announced they were leaving after the FF, would they still be as upset?

The game itself will adjust to changes. I will continue to support Duke basketball as long as it doesn't cheat. In whatever form it comes. And I'll support it even if Duke doesn't contend for a national championship or even make the tourney. Maybe I'm different than others.

Ready for the slings and arrows. Take your best shot.

9F

* Some fans out there don't like the fact that players and teams are now promoting equality. They say that they just want to watch sports, and they say that having this thrown in their face upsets them. And they don't want to watch. "Shut up and dribble" is their mantra. Well to me, if having to deal with equality issues bugs someone, that's their problem. Not mine. No one is telling them they have to watch. And if equality is solved, then these displays will stop. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure buzkashi doesn't have any such displays. They can feel free to watch that.
    Bucket List - Throw a party when Duke MBB has a winning record against Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Finally I wonder if Duke were playing this weekend, if people would still be as upset. And if then those same players announced they were leaving after the FF, would they still be as upset?
    No, not as upset but I don't feel as connected to the teams of today. I loved that 2015 team. Loved what they did but I have a Duke Library & I don't find myself rewatching that team as much as I do the 91,92,01,10 NC teams. The player I loved most on that 2015 team was Quinn. A senior. Someone we got to watch grow.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 04-02-2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The premise there (being in the FF) wasn't even close to a remote possibility. I'm ok with the rest of your argument (I don't agree with it but what you wrote states your case well.)
    But toss that sentence out the window.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The premise there (being in the FF) wasn't even close to a remote possibility. I'm ok with the rest of your argument (I don't agree with it but what you wrote states your case well.)
    But toss that sentence out the window.
    Sorry that I was not clear. I meant that *IF* Duke was in the tournament, and *IF* they then went to the FF (and won it, which I mistakenly did not specify), and then these same players announced they were leaving, would the reaction be the same? I think it would be different. Reading between my own lines, I am saying that I think a lot of the negatives lately stem from Duke not making the tournament.

9F
    Bucket List - Throw a party when Duke MBB has a winning record against Carolina.

Sorry that I was not clear. I meant that *IF* Duke was in the tournament, and *IF* they then went to the FF (and won it, which I mistakenly did not specify), and then these same players announced they were leaving, would the reaction be the same? I think it would be different. Reading between my own lines, I am saying that I think a lot of the negatives lately stem from Duke not making the tournament.

9F
    I for one don't feel a proportionate reaction between team success and my interest level.

I'm sure some do. But I can honestly say that my interest in this year's team peaked when Johnson left and our team started performing better, but that my over all attention to the team wasn't influenced by positive or negative outcomes.

I was predisposed to not be as engaged this year due to COVID, my own personal universe, a lack of fans, strange scheduling, a lack of interest in sports as a whole...

I just miss the connection with our players. On this year's squad I really enjoyed Goldwire and Moore the most. And as Williams blossomed, I enjoyed his growth.

Outside of that, my connections to individuals was minimal. I guess I'm bummed Steward is gone, but I suspect six months from now I won't be able to pick him or Johnson out of a group of head shots.

I'm not going out on a limb to say that college ball is "ruined" or "worse." I just don't recognize it as what I grew up on. Change happens. Evolution happens. I'm not certain that this particular growth is one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    No, not as upset but I don't feel as connected to the teams of today. I loved that 2015 team. Loved what they did but I have a Duke Library & I don't find myself rewatching that team as much as I do the 91,92,01,10 NC teams. The player I loved most on that 2015 team was Quinn. A senior. Someone we got to watch grow.
    But *IF* Duke had won it this year, wouldn't you have loved watching JGold grow? Maybe winning cures all ills. Losing creates a sickness.

And my favorite winning team is the '92 team, given all they did to repeat. But then you are I may be older than the average Duke fan. And everybody gets older while the players remain the same age, making people feel less connected (kind of Matthew McConaughey's line in reverse). For 2015, while I loved watching Cook, I really loved Tyus Jones. They didn't call him Stones for nothing. Anyway, as K says, every season is a lifetime. Even the down ones.

9F

9F
    I think it's an interesting question to ponder. If we had made the final four then at least there would be some achievement behind these players, and presumably their performances would have been at a level that proved a lot more than the actual season did. In that case it wouldn't feel as preposterous to declare your readiness to move on. DJ had a really good freshman year in a lot of ways, but he also has a long way to go to get ready. Leaving now feels symbolic of an attitude that says college is a waste of time rather than an opportunity to mature and get better.

Edit: a waste of time, as compared to being in the G-League or wherever he realistically thinks he'll be next year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I just miss the connection with our players. On this year's squad I really enjoyed Goldwire and Moore the most. And as Williams blossomed, I enjoyed his growth.
    Ding ding ding.

When Jalen had left, I still couldn't put names to faces of all our guys without reading the jersey. It's hard to put that effort in to it when you know they won't all be there the next year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'd also like to add that my disenchantment with college hoops right now isn't aimed at the players. I think they're making rational decisions with their careers. I'm just sad about what feels like the accelerating demise of college hoops as we know it. It's for good reasons, but I'll still miss it.

Ding ding ding.

When Jalen had left, I still couldn't put names to faces of all our guys without reading the jersey. It's hard to put that effort in to it when you know they won't all be there the next year.
    Could the fact that there were 5 games lost, plus the preseason (no TV to watch) before the conference season really started have anything to do with it?

9F

Could the fact that there were 5 games lost, plus the preseason (no TV to watch) before the conference season really started have anything to do with it?

9F
    No. It's not this season alone that has affected my outlook and enthusiasm. Not that I don't still enjoy watching, but if I've missed a game or three over the past few seasons it didn't make my nights any less enjoyable.

I see a lot of statements lamenting 1AD, the transfer portal, older coaches retiring, NIL, early draft entry, etc. Several posts seem to indicate that their enthusiasm for the college game is taking a hit.

I, for one, do not see this happening for me.
    Thanks for posting this, and I agree with the above. There's been a lot of very understandable negativity in here the last week or so, but I'm in the same camp as you and appreciate that there's some visibility for this position too.

Things certainly keep changing, but it's still a fun ride. I'll continue to support Duke and all its players, and my interest level remains quite high. Very excited for what the next season might bring!

No. It's not this season alone that has affected my outlook and enthusiasm. Not that I don't still enjoy watching, but if I've missed a game or three over the past few seasons it didn't make my nights any less enjoyable.
    Well, my friends and family might say that if I missed a game or three over the past few seasons, it might have made their nights more enjoyable!

Then again, maybe they want me to keep watching!

9F