The suspense was...

And J Roach with the recruiting assist!

Welcome to Duke, Trevor!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    And J Roach with the recruiting assist!

Welcome to Duke, Trevor!
    Yes, he said Roach told him the things he liked and didn't like. Honesty.

Welcome to Duke!

Excitement and relief all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yes, he said Roach told him the things he liked and didn't like. Honesty.
    I was worried Keels committing might lead to a Roach transfer. I didn't realize they were friends. Glad to hear it. This may explain DJ going pro. It certainly softens the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    I was worried Keels committing might lead to a Roach transfer. I didn't realize they were friends. Glad to hear it. This may explain DJ going pro. It certainly softens the blow.
    Keels said he played four years with Roach and they practiced together. I guess he may have played with him before high school.

GoDuke!

Keels said he played four years with Roach and they practiced together. I guess he may have played with him before high school.
    Aside from the Plumlee brothers (or any other set of siblings), has Duke ever had two players on the same roster who were also multi-year high school teammates?

I went back a few years and saw that Matt Jones and Marques Bolden both went to DeSoto, but they were three years apart so they overlapped for one year of college and presumably one year of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Aside from the Plumlee brothers (or any other set of siblings), has Duke ever had two players on the same roster who were also multi-year high school teammates?

I went back a few years and saw that Matt Jones and Marques Bolden both went to DeSoto, but they were three years apart so they overlapped for one year of college and presumably one year of high school.
    Similarly, Grant Hill and Joey Beard went to the same high school and were also three years apart so if they overlapped in HS, it would have only been for one year. I think that's the closest it gets (excluding brothers like the Caldbecks) unless there is a pair from way back.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Similarly, Grant Hill and Joey Beard went to the same high school and were also three years apart so if they overlapped in HS, it would have only been for one year. I think that's the closest it gets (excluding brothers like the Caldbecks) unless there is a pair from way back.
    Those were the days, when Vermont guys ruled Duke's roster...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Haven't come up with any to meet that criteria; Danny Ferry and Kenny Blakeney were both DeMatha guys not too far apart, but did not overlap.

dunno if this has been posted, but some good info on Keels' game and some advice K gave him:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...mit-2021-class

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    dunno if this has been posted, but some good info on Keels' game and some advice K gave him:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...mit-2021-class
    This statement jumped out to me:

“He is best at putting pressure on a defense with his consistent jumper.”

If Keels can consistently knock down 3 PT FG, he will be a big asset.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This statement jumped out to me:

“He is best at putting pressure on a defense with his consistent jumper.”

If Keels can consistently knock down 3 PT FG, he will be a big asset.
    Obviously we desperately needed him (or a high quality transfer) for next years roster. But, as you implied, he’s a big “if” as a Freshman major asset. Joey Baker, HS recruiting ranked in low 30’s, also came with shooting prowess and maybe Baker is a strong comp.

Think in prior decades we’d be exited to see him progress as a Sophomore, Junior, etc. but that likelihood has narrowed. The star from afar is always brighter.

turnert (he who knows what he's talking about) says K first saw Keels in late 2019 and fell in love with his game...and he gave him the advice (evidently followed) to lose weight to improve his game.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    turnert (he who knows what he's talking about) says K first saw Keels in late 2019 and fell in love with his game...and he gave him the advice (evidently followed) to lose weight to improve his game.
    If I'm not mistaken, the two guards Duke was interested in were Keels and Christie. Both were supposed to be very good shooters.

GoDuke!

If I'm not mistaken, the two guards Duke was interested in were Keels and Christie. Both were supposed to be very good shooters.

GoDuke!
    and evidently K prioritized Keels over Christie...

Really glad Trevor picked Duke because the loss of DJ really put a big ? mark on our backcourt for next season. The options before the commitment were: Roach, Wendell and Joey. I don't think we would have seen AJ or Paulo in the backcourt much next season. I still believe we need one more guard and I also believe Coach K will get one. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been working on that for a while now. Maybe Ty Ty Washington would be a good get. He has point guard skills which would take some of the pressure off Roach. I'm not saying he would get major minutes, but he could be there when/if we have foul trouble. Roach did tend to get into foul difficulty at times this season..

GoDuke!

Really glad Trevor picked Duke because the loss of DJ really put a big ? mark on our backcourt for next season. The options before the commitment were: Roach, Wendell and Joey. I don't think we would have seen AJ or Paulo in the backcourt much next season. I still believe we need one more guard and I also believe Coach K will get one. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been working on that for a while now. Maybe Ty Ty Washington would be a good get. He has point guard skills which would take some of the pressure off Roach. I'm not saying he would get major minutes, but he could be there when/if we have foul trouble. Roach did tend to get into foul difficulty at times this season..

GoDuke!
    I really liked TyTy's game in the high school championship series yesterday. The kid is a PG first with a good handle and quickness. He penetrates and finds the open man. He also can score and was playing against a team with 6 kids rated in the top 100 nationally, including the 2nd and 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I really liked TyTy's game in the high school championship series yesterday. The kid is a PG first with a good handle and quickness. He penetrates and finds the open man. He also can score and was playing against a team with 6 kids rated in the top 100 nationally, including the 2nd and 8th.
    Hmmmmm. Sounds good to me.

GoDuke!