Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 NCAA Tournament Map

We did this in 2018 and in 2019 (like in 2019, I will probably do either daily or round-by-round updates, rather than game-by-game this season). The more detailed explanation is in the 2018 thread, but the general principle is that each county in the country is assigned to the 68 NCAA tournament teams by geographic proximity (distance from home arena to geographic center of the county) and then the map consolidates as the games are played (winning team takes losing team's land). Here's the starting map for 2021.

Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Funny to see Oregon State take Western Washington and very little of Oregon as a result of Corvallis being a little further north than Eugene.

I always enjoy this game and certainly don't want to complain, but it is interesting that Eastern Washington is entirely squeezed out of Alaska by Oregon State and Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Funny to see Oregon State take Western Washington and very little of Oregon as a result of Corvallis being a little further north than Eugene.
    hartford really cramping uconn there as well.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh no, not Petway! View Post
    I always enjoy this game and certainly don't want to complain, but it is interesting that Eastern Washington is entirely squeezed out of Alaska by Oregon State and Gonzaga.
    Thanks for posting and the follow ups - always a fun part of tournament time. This map demonstrate my ignorance about the Pacific Northwest as I always had assumed that Spokane was relatively close to Seattle. Seeing this map led me to look it up and Spokane and Seattle are roughly the same distance as Durham and Washington DC.

The time lapse version of these maps are always fun to see. Can't seem to find one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    ...and then the map consolidates as the games are played (winning team takes losing team's land)...
    And what if there is no loser? I guess "uncontested" goes to the team still healthy enough to contest the next game, right?

What a crazy year!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ncaa map

We did this in 2018 and in 2019 (like in 2019, I will probably do either daily or round-by-round updates, rather than game-by-game this season). The more detailed explanation is in the 2018 thread, but the general principle is that each county in the country is assigned to the 68 NCAA tournament teams by geographic proximity (distance from home arena to geographic center of the county) and then the map consolidates as the games are played (winning team takes losing team's land). Here's the starting map for 2021.

Sort of a basketball version of the board game RISK? Rolling the dice could be like exposing your team to covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Im4howdy View Post
    Sort of a basketball version of the board game RISK? Rolling the dice could be like exposing your team to covid.
    Or, open yourselves up to the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    And what if there is no loser? I guess "uncontested" goes to the team still healthy enough to contest the next game, right?

What a crazy year!
    For the tournament, I’m considering an uncontested game to be a forfeit and the land goes to the team that advances. Although having a map that doesn’t fully consolidate would feel appropriate for this season.

We need to get that guy from CNN who shows all the voting result maps during the elections to break this down for us.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We need to get that guy from CNN who shows all the voting result maps during the elections to break this down for us.
    John King
    1200. DDMF.

Here's the starting map for 2021.

1. Which first round matchup has the biggest discrepancy in land? Probably Georgetown-Colorado.

2. Aside from Gonzaga-App State/Norfolk State, which first round matchup has the most land at stake? Either Utah State-Texas Tech or UCSB-Creighton.

3. Kentucky has been taken over by a familiar color but an unfamiliar animal. The unamused bird logo is for Morehead State.

4. Kind of an ugly color covering Piedmont NC. Maybe a nice red, or green instead... any other color, really.

I'm looking forward to conquering the Aleutian Islands. GBO!

Map after the play-in games. The real land action starts today!

After Day 1 of the first round - I appreciate the adjacent green and blue in B1G country.

I was waiting for this. That red Cheese Belt cutting through the middle of NC looks good. I for one welcome our badger overlords.

We should make it official by changing place names: Wisco-Salem, Greensbayo, High Point Place, Racine-Durham-Cheddar Hill.

Post-first-round map here. The only matchup thus far between adjacent teams goes purple thanks to a 59% FT shooter knocking down an extremely clutch pair with a second left.

The map is down to 32 teams. Observations:

1. Hawaii Five-O'Connell.

2. Like the Colonial Dutch -- I guess -- it's weird to see teams gain pieces of territory bigger than their home base. The Iowa Hawkeyes have part of Iowa, but all of Arizona. USC has to share Southern California, but has most of Kansas, plus a swath of central Minnesota and Iowa. In ACC country, tiny Loyola Chicago and Villanova hold big chunks of Georgia and South Carolina.

3. North Carolina is being attacked by Gonzaga on both sides (the coast via Norfolk State and the mountains via Appalachian State). But that's not the interesting thing. Because most of the state is covered by Gonzaga (West Regional), Florida State (East Regional), Wisconsin (South Regional), and Oregon State and Rutgers (both Midwest Regional), each Final Four team will have a foothold in the state, and will be battling for nothing less than the state's soul.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The map is down to 32 teams. Observations:

1. Hawaii Five-O'Connell.

2. Like the Colonial Dutch -- I guess -- it's weird to see teams gain pieces of territory bigger than their home base. The Iowa Hawkeyes have part of Iowa, but all of Arizona. USC has to share Southern California, but has most of Kansas, plus a swath of central Minnesota and Iowa. In ACC country, tiny Loyola Chicago and Villanova hold big chunks of Georgia and South Carolina.

3. North Carolina is being attacked by Gonzaga on both sides (the coast via Norfolk State and the mountains via Appalachian State). But that's not the interesting thing. Because most of the state is covered by Gonzaga (West Regional), Florida State (East Regional), Wisconsin (South Regional), and Oregon State and Rutgers (both Midwest Regional), each Final Four team will have a foothold in the state, and will be battling for nothing less than the state's soul.
    None of them do BBQ, best I can tell, so how’s THAT gonna work??
    "Amazing what a minute can do."