Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 80 of 80
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    turnert (he who knows what he's talking about) says K first saw Keels in late 2019 and fell in love with his game...and he gave him the advice (evidently followed) to lose weight to improve his game.
    If I'm not mistaken, the two guards Duke was interested in were Keels and Christie. Both were supposed to be very good shooters.

    GoDuke!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the two guards Duke was interested in were Keels and Christie. Both were supposed to be very good shooters.

    GoDuke!
    and evidently K prioritized Keels over Christie...

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Really glad Trevor picked Duke because the loss of DJ really put a big ? mark on our backcourt for next season. The options before the commitment were: Roach, Wendell and Joey. I don't think we would have seen AJ or Paulo in the backcourt much next season. I still believe we need one more guard and I also believe Coach K will get one. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been working on that for a while now. Maybe Ty Ty Washington would be a good get. He has point guard skills which would take some of the pressure off Roach. I'm not saying he would get major minutes, but he could be there when/if we have foul trouble. Roach did tend to get into foul difficulty at times this season..

    GoDuke!
    I really liked TyTy's game in the high school championship series yesterday. The kid is a PG first with a good handle and quickness. He penetrates and finds the open man. He also can score and was playing against a team with 6 kids rated in the top 100 nationally, including the 2nd and 8th.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I really liked TyTy's game in the high school championship series yesterday. The kid is a PG first with a good handle and quickness. He penetrates and finds the open man. He also can score and was playing against a team with 6 kids rated in the top 100 nationally, including the 2nd and 8th.
    Hmmmmm. Sounds good to me.

    GoDuke!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    It is hard to find HS stats but from what I could find Keels hit 38% of his 3 Pt shots this year. I would caution people from expecting him to shoot close to that in his first year in college. If he does it will be because he is very selective. There should be more opportunities to be open with Griffin and Banchero drawing so much attention.

    Who was the last Freshman to shoot near 40% from 3 their freshman year?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    It is hard to find HS stats but from what I could find Keels hit 38% of his 3 Pt shots this year. I would caution people from expecting him to shoot close to that in his first year in college. If he does it will be because he is very selective. There should be more opportunities to be open with Griffin and Banchero drawing so much attention.

    Who was the last Freshman to shoot near 40% from 3 their freshman year?
    Justise Winslow did, but let’s say a lot of luck was involved.

    Your point is very valid, fresh often struggle shooting from deep.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Justise Winslow did, but let’s say a lot of luck was involved.

    Your point is very valid, fresh often struggle shooting from deep.
    Isn't the college three point line deeper(distance) than high school? That and college defense being tougher make it harder for freshmen to shoot as well as they did in high school.

    GoDuke!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Distance of the 3 point line, speed of the game, complexity of the game (too much thinking going on), and length of the defenders all play a role.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    It is hard to find HS stats but from what I could find Keels hit 38% of his 3 Pt shots this year. I would caution people from expecting him to shoot close to that in his first year in college. If he does it will be because he is very selective. There should be more opportunities to be open with Griffin and Banchero drawing so much attention.

    Who was the last Freshman to shoot near 40% from 3 their freshman year?
    JJ shot 39.9 percent his freshman year, which shows the bar is really high.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Distance of the 3 point line, speed of the game, complexity of the game (too much thinking going on), and length of the defenders all play a role.
    Another example from a good shooter:

    Luke Kennard as a freshman
    32% from 3-pt; overall FG 42.1%

    Luke as a sophomore
    43.8% from 3-pt; overall FG 48.9%

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    It is hard to find HS stats but from what I could find Keels hit 38% of his 3 Pt shots this year. I would caution people from expecting him to shoot close to that in his first year in college. If he does it will be because he is very selective. There should be more opportunities to be open with Griffin and Banchero drawing so much attention.

    Who was the last Freshman to shoot near 40% from 3 their freshman year?
    Gary Trent Jr did it (40.2%). In that same year, O'Connell (48.9%) and Bagley (39.7%) did as well, albeit on low volume. Matthew Hurt (39.3%) did it as well, so he would be the last.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    The star from afar is always brighter.
    Ah, Petrarchism and Basketball.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    The star from afar is always brighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ah, Petrarchism and Basketball.
    A match made in the heavens!

    -jk

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Obviously we desperately needed him (or a high quality transfer) for next years roster. But, as you implied, he’s a big “if” as a Freshman major asset. Joey Baker, HS recruiting ranked in low 30’s, also came with shooting prowess and maybe Baker is a strong comp.

    Think in prior decades we’d be exited to see him progress as a Sophomore, Junior, etc. but that likelihood has narrowed. The star from afar is always brighter.
    Joey Baker was ranked #37 and came to Duke a year early, planning to redshirt for what should have been his senior year of high school.

    In addition to his shooting, Trevor Keels had 7 apg and 4 spg in his abbreviated (11 game) senior season in high school. He was ranked #17 in the summer RSCI (a lot better than Joey’s #37).

    I agree it’s unclear how much Trevor will be able to contribute as a freshman, but I don’t think Joey is a good comp.

  15. #75
    With all this young talent it would be nice if Duke would get back to as close to normal as possible with covid restrictions. I’m thinking about the summer sessions which K has used to get freshman adjusted to the program.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    With all this young talent it would be nice if Duke would get back to as close to normal as possible with covid restrictions. I’m thinking about the summer sessions which K has used to get freshman adjusted to the program.
    With the availability now of vaccine for 16 and over, there is no reason that everyone associated with the program not to be vaccinated as soon as possible and certainly in plenty of time for the summer.

    In fact, there is no reason not to expect all students - except for health reasons - to be vaccinated by the fall term. Would certainly make it a lot more probable to have Cameron fully open come November. My two high school seniors are being vaccinated next week. Rutgers is requiring all students to show up in the fall vaccinated.

    https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutgers...all%20semester

    as will Cornell

    https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...cinations.html
    Last edited by Hartford Dukie; 04-03-2021 at 12:29 PM.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    With the availability now of vaccine for 16 and over, there is no reason that everyone associated with the program not to be vaccinated as soon as possible and certainly in plenty of time for the summer.

    In fact, there is no reason not to expect all students - except for health reasons - to be vaccinated by the fall term. Would certainly make it a lot more probable to have Cameron fully open come November. My two high school seniors are being vaccinated next week. Rutgers is requiring all students to show up in the fall vaccinated.

    https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutgers...all%20semester

    as will Cornell

    https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...cinations.html
    In the “Duke Weekly” email that arrived today they indicated that they have vaccinated 600 students already. I assume they are planning to be fairly close to normal operations in the fall.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    In the “Duke Weekly” email that arrived today they indicated that they have vaccinated 600 students already. I assume they are planning to be fairly close to normal operations in the fall.
    Once the Ivies - taking the cue from Cornell - start mandating vaccination for the fall, I expect Duke to follow. So then, no reason whatsoever for students not to be in Cameron come November and obviously outdoor Wally Wade.

  19. #79
    Love his game. Think he is going to have really solid year. NBA size already and knows how to use it to his advantage.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    "A lot of people don't know, but I grew up a Duke fan," he said. "It was always my dream school, but I couldn't really tell people that. I've got a bunch of stuff that's Duke in the house. My goal was always to get a call from Coach K and for him to offer me. It made my dream come true."

    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...uK-1hDBi2ehBRM

Similar Threads

  1. Keels is a Blue Devil
    By b4man72 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •