Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    His size may be closer to Moore, but Keels is pure SG - especially on this team with Moore, Griffin and Baker all available to log minutes at SF. Any playing time he earns - which could be a lot - pushes Steward either to the bench or over to play PG.
    With JGold gone, Steward would have had every opportunity to demonstrate improved defense, improved shooting and combo guard skills (if he has combo guard skills). Not that I expect logic but, if DJ was afraid to compete with Keels for PT, how does the NBA make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I get that you want to make everything about Duke’s one-and-done culture. But the last couple of recruiting classes were supposedly what folks wanted: a lot of second-tier recruits. Only the results this year weren’t as good, and guys still go pro early. There will always be guys who go pro early, for whatever reason.
    Well this is a thread about a OAD player who has no business being OAD so making this about OAD culture seems fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I agree with the general consensus that this makes no sense. On the surface. Based on what we know. Because these are VERY young men, there’s a lot we may not know. Especially so this year when we barely got to know this team due to COVID.

I’m sad and frustrated about what this means for the potential of next year’s team. And I was excited to see what a sophomore DJ could do. But I will not take my personal feelings out on a kid who by all accounts played his heart out wearing a Duke uniform in the most tumultuous college basketball season ever.

Best of luck DJ. I really hope you know something we don’t and it all works out for you.

P.S. This decision has some parallels to Jordan Poole leaving Michigan after his sophomore year in 2019. Both were above average college players who had reputations as stellar shooters that didn’t always come through in their play, and not great NBA size. People questioned whether Poole would be drafted. He got picked by Golden State at the end of the first round and has been stellar this year in extended playing time after Curry’s injury. All of this is to say: you never know.
    “Stellar” might be overstating it a bit but regardless, Poole is an inch or two taller and 30 pounds heavier than Steward. Steward is shrimpy by NBA standards. Big problem for him.

When is Alex O'Connell declaring for the draft ?

Well this is really too bad. I was bummed Brakefield bolted but this really puts a huge dent into hopes for next season. I still think we’re a tournament team next season but likely only first weekend now.

Best of luck to DJ. I really liked the possibilities that show in his game. Hopefully for him, somebody else that has nba sway does too.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Keels isn’t a notably higher rated recruit. He is about #20 in his class where Steward was #24 in his class. That is a wash. Steward would have started and played as much as he wanted next year.

I get that you want to make everything about Duke’s one-and-done culture. But the last couple of recruiting classes were supposedly what folks wanted: a lot of second-tier recruits. Only the results this year weren’t as good, and guys still go pro early. There will always be guys who go pro early, for whatever reason.
    Are the RSCI rankings out yet for this class? Keels is #16 on 247. I expect him to be a better player than Steward. We will see. No way to know what Steward is thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Well this is really too bad. I was bummed Brakefield bolted but this really puts a huge dent into hopes for next season. I still think we’re a tournament team next season but likely only first weekend now.

Best of luck to DJ. I really liked the possibilities that show in his game. Hopefully for him, somebody else that has nba sway does too.
    How are you able to predict which weekend a tournament team will exit? How did you know that Illinois wasn’t a 2nd weekend team this year but oral roberts was? Did you know this a year ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post

I still think we will be better than just a tournament team - the best front court in the country and hopefully three top 30 guards in the backcourt.

Banchero has the potential to be transcendently good - an unusually developed game for a freshman. A guy like that surrounded by solid talent can take a team a long way.

I still think we will be better than just a tournament team - the best front court in the country and hopefully three top 30 guards in the backcourt.

Banchero has the potential to be transcendently good - an unusually developed game for a freshman. A guy like that surrounded by solid talent can take a team a long way.
    Next year, Duke having the best front court in the country hinges on Williams and Hurt returning. Neither have been confirmed to return to Duke yet. In fact, it’s probable at least one of them declares for the NBA draft soon, possibly both ...

Best of luck DJ!

Personally I’m bummed - DJ was probably the guy on the current roster I’d most want back for next year given that I think he would have made a huge Fr to So jump, combined with our need at guard. Oh well. Hopefully Keels commits and we find additional guard depth. Or Hurt comes back (super unlikely) and we play a monster 2-3 all year.

Are the RSCI rankings out yet for this class? Keels is #16 on 247. I expect him to be a better player than Steward. We will see. No way to know what Steward is thinking.
    Keels is #20 in 247 composite. Final RSCI is not out yet.

Either way it’s not like we are recruiting a clear one-and-done player to play over DJ. There were plenty of minutes available for DJ next year so I don’t think his departure is about playing time or being recruited over.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Next year, Duke having the best front court in the country hinges on Williams and Hurt returning. Neither have been confirmed to return to Duke yet. In fact, it’s probable at least one of them declares for the NBA draft soon, possibly both ...
    I would say if either one returns we’ll have arguably the best frontcourt in the country. But it is certainly possible neither stays. Hopefully not, but possible.

After the heartbreaks of 2018 & 2019, the limbo of 2020 and the covid of 2021, my soul really needs a deep NCAA run in 2022...

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    After the heartbreaks of 2018 & 2019, the limbo of 2020 and the covid of 2021, my soul really needs a deep NCAA run in 2022...
    Is elite 8 not a deep run?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    “Stellar” might be overstating it a bit but regardless, Poole is an inch or two taller and 30 pounds heavier than Steward. Steward is shrimpy by NBA standards. Big problem for him.
    I turned on the Sixers game and Steward looks a bit like Tyrese Maxie- who bolted KY after a year- about the same height (Maxie a bit heavier) and almost the same college numbers- Steward was better from 3. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Is elite 8 not a deep run?
    Not for Duke.

I kept trying to tell you guys you were counting your chickens assuming all these guys would be back...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    At this point with all the transfers and the nonsensical draft declarations, I'm like "whatever". Every year it simply decreases my interest in our team, and that sucks.
    Cosigned. For a while I was getting that fix from the football team, but that's not doing much for me lately either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Not for Duke.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Not for Duke.
    Wow we really do have a spoiled fan base. 2 elite 8s in a row is disappointing? Amazing.