Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To quote Jurassic Park, life, uh, finds a way.

Academics haven't played a meaningful role in college basketball in decades. Not a judgement, just a recognition.

I agree, Mtn, and maybe I am trying to put too fine a point on the issue, but, IMO, your recognition applies to Duke as well. We just need to admit that we are in the muck with everyone else.

By the way, Mtn, love the Jeff Goldblum “uh”.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    I agree, Mtn, and maybe I am trying to put too fine a point on the issue, but, IMO, your recognition applies to Duke as well.
    I don't want to rile folks up here, but the ship sailed so long ago, I'm pretty sure the return trip is already complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To quote Jurassic Park, life, uh, finds a way.

Academics haven't played a meaningful role in college basketball in decades. Not a judgement, just a recognition.
    Canít argue that point when the NCAA folded like a cheap suit at 20 years academic fraud in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    With the discussion of NIL and the multiple sources of income, potentially, available to “student”-athletes, the supposed advantage in this environment for schools that understand marketing, like Duke; how do we keep these kids academically eligible? How many gut/crip courses are we going to need to offer if the objective is to keep these players for 2-3 years. Seems to be, given the thread, that academic slips even further down the list the priorities.

Maybe I am just a curmudgeon but just questioning how we can continue to turn a blind eye...
    I assume schools will start offering either informal education (through the basketball/football programs) or coursework about social media advertising and the like, and the players will use their IG and the like to be posting #ads and generating income. Zion would probably have gotten some major $$ for posting about a shirt brand he likes or whatever. Kylie Jenner supposedly gets approx $1M for ONE sponsored post.

But, yes, "traditional" academics for high-level revenue sport players will likely be further down on the totem poll...