Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    We've all given K credit for adapting to the OAD era. Well, now he's going to have to adapt to the transfer-portal-era. Or else sign six prep players out of every class with the expectation that most, if not all, will be gone after a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I'm going to laugh at a lot of folks in this thread when he has a good pro career. DJ owes nothing to anyone in this thread.

Is it surprising? Yes. He was neither a top-10 recruit (#24 in the RSCI) nor did he have an outstanding freshmen season. Plus the weaknesses in his game could be addressed with a good offseason and sophomore year, indicating he could have improved his draft stock by coming back.

But it's his own decision, I wish him well. I'll never begrudge anyone for wanting to get paid for their labor.
    I think the general sentiment I’m interpreting from many isn’t against folks wanting to get paid for their labor. It’s more questioning how’s Steward going to get paid for his labor right now and by whom? A G League club somewhere in the Midwest? Had he returned to hone his skills more collegiately, he certainly could have improved his prospects of getting paid for his labor and possibly even been virtually guaranteed for a shot at a life changing amount of pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    We're allowed to have opinions here. Whatever his reasons are, a lot of us are tired of the revolving door of OAD and the detriment to the program from guys leaving unexpectedly. I don;t know if unreasonable expectations are being sold on a recruiting level or what. But when Steward doesn't get drafted, none of us should have schadenfreude, but we should be able to have the opinion that he should have stayed in school another year. Bottom line, no one should be cheering against DJ, but we should be able to second guess these decisions and express frustration because it impacts the program.
    Thank you - well stated. I’ve not liked the OAD recruiting cycles, but at least Steward stayed ant entire season. The half and done is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    We've all given K credit for adapting to the OAD era. Well, now he's going to have to adapt to the transfer-portal-era. Or else sign six prep players out of every class with the expectation that most, if not all, will be gone after a year.
    Yep. Signed 6 last year and three are already gone.

I wish him the best, but I expect that he will be playing with or against Trevon Duval.

It's getting to the point I'm scared to check DBR for WTF has happened now.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I wish him the best, but I expect that he will be playing with or against Trevon Duval.
    Would be a great rec league team.

If Hurt and Williams declare next, it may be more than I can take ...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    At this point with all the transfers and the nonsensical draft declarations, I'm like "whatever". Every year it simply decreases my interest in our team, and that sucks.
    Ditto. It’s just less fun. I’ve pretty much abandoned all other the other teams I used to follow, both college and professional, besides Duke Basketball. Its not what it used to be and the future looks pretty meh.

didn't expect this....i don't see an nba level game there yet, but best of luck to DJ and thanks for giving Duke your time...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Sorry to see you go, DJ Steward. Best of luck going forward.

I understand the decision, but I don’t think it’s the right one. DJ had the potential to really shine next year with the real possibility of climbing in to the first round in the ‘22 draft. Wish him the best but this one is a real head-scratcher.

I never blame the kid....his life...his decision. At a minimum he can have a long career overseas after he gives the NBA his best shot.

But it's clear now more than ever that college basketball is broken.

This was one of the reasons Roy left and you have to think K may be having similar thoughts.

The biggest head scratcher one and done Duke player power rankings gotta include Trevon Duval and DJ Steward near the top, with Frank Jackson as an honorable mention. Things that just make you go HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Doubt it. I also doubt he ever plays in the NBA. He may very well have a fine professional career and make plenty of money in some other league, but what does he do at an NBA level? Just for comparison, look at Frank Jackson. He had a better single season at Duke (although he averaged fewer ppg), on a much better team, has much better athleticism, a better 3pt shooter, and more skill as a PG, although still not enough, and is still barely making it in the league. Frank is undersized as a 2G, and is taller and stronger than DJ.
    Gee, you don’t paint a very pretty picture for Steward. If what you say turns out to be correct, perhaps he would have been better served by staying at Duke for another year or three.

Fans complained when we signed top-10 guys and they left after a year, saying we should instead sign top-25 guys and let them develop. Now we're signing the top-25 guys and they're STILL leaving, except they don't have the elite talent to impact the game right away while they're here.

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    Man, there’s a ton of sour grapes around here.

I appreciate everything DJ brought to the team this year, and I hope he has a great career.
    I don’t think DJ owes me anything but I don’t owe him anything either. I’ve already forgotten him.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I know. We’ve talked about this in another thread. A really unintended consequence of being a big one and done school is that a lot of guys think that “I was recruited to Duke. Therefore I am good enough to be a one and done.” Or “I’m at Duke. If I DONT go OAD there’s something wrong w me, I’m a failure etc”
    That's one part of the problem. The other part is that these guys who are ranked in that 20-40 range and who should be planning on multiple years at Duke often get "recruited over" with OAD talent at their position. What impact does the Keels decision have on Steward? Is it a coincidence that Steward makes this announcement the day before Keels announces?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    That's one part of the problem. The other part is that these guys who are ranked in that 20-40 range and who should be planning on multiple years at Duke often get "recruited over" with OAD talent at their position. What impact does the Keels decision have on Steward? Is it a coincidence that Steward makes this announcement the day before Keels announces?
    Pretty sure Steward would have started over Keels. I don’t think Keels’ recruitment has anything to do with Steward’s decision.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I agree with the general consensus that this makes no sense. On the surface. Based on what we know. Because these are VERY young men, there’s a lot we may not know. Especially so this year when we barely got to know this team due to COVID.

I’m sad and frustrated about what this means for the potential of next year’s team. And I was excited to see what a sophomore DJ could do. But I will not take my personal feelings out on a kid who by all accounts played his heart out wearing a Duke uniform in the most tumultuous college basketball season ever.

Best of luck DJ. I really hope you know something we don’t and it all works out for you.

P.S. This decision has some parallels to Jordan Poole leaving Michigan after his sophomore year in 2019. Both were above average college players who had reputations as stellar shooters that didn’t always come through in their play, and not great NBA size. People questioned whether Poole would be drafted. He got picked by Golden State at the end of the first round and has been stellar this year in extended playing time after Curry’s injury. All of this is to say: you never know.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!