Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

DJ Steward declares for NBA draft

Per his Twitter. Intends to sign with agent.

I didn't expect that.

Even if Keels pops for Duke, do we have more than three players on scholly who can play guard next season? This season is the gift that keeps giving.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Per his Twitter. Intends to sign with agent.

I didn't expect that.
    Me either. If not an April fools thing I don’t get it. No chance at the first round and would’ve been the star in the backcourt next year on a really good team.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Me either. If not an April fools thing I don’t get it. No chance at the first round and would’ve been the star in the backcourt next year on a really good team.
    Welcome to Duke.

Performance doesn’t factor in your decision. It’s about viewing yourself as an OAD.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    At this point with all the transfers and the nonsensical draft declarations, I'm like "whatever". Every year it simply decreases my interest in our team, and that sucks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    At this point with all the transfers and the nonsensical draft declarations, I'm like "whatever". Every year it simply decreases my interest in our team, and that sucks.
    Actually, for me, any team.

Darn. Gonna need Keels now. Also probably will need another guy, either a transfer or TyTy Washington.

Best of luck to Steward as he realizes his NBA dream!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Welcome to Duke.

Performance doesn’t factor in your decision. It’s about viewing yourself as an OAD.
    I believe this is true. Being recruited by (and coming to) Duke makes players feel like they should be OADs...They raise their expectations.

Since Kyrie as Duke’s first true one and done, what’s that bring Duke’s total up to now? How does it rank nationally? Does Duke have the top 3-5 highest amount of one and dones in the country since 2010-2011?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Welcome to Duke.

I know. We’ve talked about this in another thread. A really unintended consequence of being a big one and done school is that a lot of guys think that “I was recruited to Duke. Therefore I am good enough to be a one and done.” Or “I’m at Duke. If I DONT go OAD there’s something wrong w me, I’m a failure etc”

Honestly I’m right there with you. My interest has waned quite a bit the last 5 years. Could also be me having a family now and getting older but it’s hard to keep a vested interest these days in P5 college basketball.

Pretty much this. The one and done era has been slowly diminishing my excitement about college basketball in general for the last 10 years. I used to watch 7-8 college basketball games a week - now I don't watch all of Duke's games. Not to use this thread as a platform to complain (and DJ needs to do what he thinks he needs to do), but the overall state of the game right now is really bad compared to what it was even 10 years ago.

You have got to be kidding? I mean, Being a Duke fan, I am kind of used to the OAD. But DJ? He ain’t ready! Well, I guess all I can say to the kid is good luck😳

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    K's statement basically says he's a nice guy.
    "DJ had an incredible freshman season and he has so much more potential," said head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "He is going to keep getting better and better and I can't wait to watch his professional career develop. DJ will be an asset to any NBA team with an attitude and energy that make him very easy and enjoyable to coach. He came in every day with a smile on his face and he represented himself, his family and our program so well. I loved coaching DJ and wish him our best as he prepares for the next step in his career."
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/1/men...nba-draft.aspx
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

K's statement basically says he's a nice guy.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/1/men...nba-draft.aspx
    And that is how you handle the press release of an early entry that you don’t necessarily agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Since Kyrie as Duke’s first true one and done, what’s that bring Duke’s total up to now? How does it rank nationally? Does Duke have the top 3-5 highest one and dones in the country since 2010-2011?
    Umm, not that it matters, but that would be Corey Maggette. Followed by Loul Deng.

Damn. Not DJ. Damn.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Actually, for me, any team.
    Signing on to this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I know. We’ve talked about this in another thread. A really unintended consequence of being a big one and done school is that a lot of guys think that “I was recruited to Duke. Therefore I am good enough to be a one and done.” Or “I’m at Duke. If I DONT go OAD there’s something wrong w me, I’m a failure etc”
    Yup. Frank Jackson, Gary Trent, Trevon Duval, Harry Giles, Cassius Stanley, DJ Steward... did any actually ‘unpack their bags’?

(And, for the record, I understand some had okay years in the list above).

I was really really looking forward to a Luke Kennard breakout from Steward.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

He’s not yet a very good player at the college level. Fairly good shooter, not much of a playmaker, fairly good rebounder, weak on defense. Too short to play NBA 2. Not skilled enough for NBA point guard. So many better options for NBA teams to pick. Maybe he’s just getting an early NBA evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I believe this is true. Being recruited by (and coming to) Duke makes players feel like they should be OADs...They raise their expectations.
    Yep. I've been headed to this conclusion for a while now...this seals it.

Because - and I know people talk about how much money one makes as a NBA draft choice , but - because of the way the NBA draft salary slots work, it is possible to make move up enough in a draft slot from one year to the next to essentially increases your slotted salary to overcome that extra year.

Look, I think players need to be paid in college. I think the NBA needs to rid itself of the one and done rule. And DJ Steward seems like a good kid and a fine talent.

But, is he even getting drafted?