Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We don't drink, we don't smoke ...
    Break an arm, Break a leg...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    Now that’s intriguing. I had forgotten that. I knew Nate was the big guy coach and was wondering what’s going to happen with the bigs, including recruiting, now that he’s gone. Bringing back Wojo would certainly fill that need
    If that were to happen, then Nolan would follow Nate. Sucks to wait in line, then have someone jump you. (Always possible Nolan follows Nate anyway, I guess.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If that were to happen, then Nolan would follow Nate. Sucks to wait in line, then have someone jump you. (Always possible Nolan follows Nate anyway, I guess.)
    First, in repsonse to upthread discussions, I feel like we're in 2009 all over again. You don't have to be a big man to coach big men. We don't have to hire someone who is over 6'6 just to say to recruits--"Hey, look, we have a guy kind of tall!" Further, Nate James, while he played some center in high school, played on the wing in college. Yes, he's big and strong, but it's not like he has some institutional knowledge from his playing days. He learned how to coach big men and learned how to motivate players. There is no reason someone 6'2 can't do the same thing.

I don't see any way Wojo comes back to be an assistant. As pointed out the podcast, he doesn't need to recreate his image or get back in the swing like Capel did several years ago. He's a D-1 coach, and he's going to look for head coach opportunities where he can improve his stock--that's not going to happen as a Duke assistant.

Nolan didn't go to Memphis because he was told it was his turn. Nate left, Nolan is up. I guess if Scheyer leaves too, then we have a real question.

Finally, also mentioned on the podcast this week (which one of the 7, I'm not sure, but all fun!) is that there is now a Director of B-ball ops job available and that maybe Shelden or Dahntay could be interested. There is just no way that happens. Before Nolan, no former player had that job. Nolan was coming off a horrible injury and a sudden end to his basketball career, and Duke offered him a job he could do to help lead him into coaching. That's awesome! It's not to say that you can't build a coaching career out of that gig, but has not been a job Duke players have had. Mike Shrage, a former manager, did it for years (he ended up being a coach, which is still kind of wild to me). Spitola did it for several years, great college players, but not a former Duke star who had a job in the NBA. Casey Stevenson and Pat Thompson did that job straight out of college and neither had any playing role in college (Casey can hoop though).

It's an amazing job and one that all of us would likely gladly take. But that job's main responsibilities are scheduling flights, meals, practices, keeping tabs on the players studies, etc. It is not a coaching job. If the person doing it can also help actually coach, that's a huge benefit. But there is no way someone working in the NBA or G-League in a front office or coaching capacity, who has had time to ponder their post-basketball playing career, is going to come and take the Director of Basketball Ops job. I would guess we see a former manager take on the role next year. I'm also available...
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I don't see any way Wojo comes back to be an assistant. As pointed out the podcast, he doesn't need to recreate his image or get back in the swing like Capel did several years ago. He's a D-1 coach, and he's going to look for head coach opportunities where he can improve his stock--that's not going to happen as a Duke assistant. ..
    Agree.

Wojo had a contract through 2023-24. I suspect the deal between Marquette and Texas re Shaka Smart will help pay those bills for a university that is not rolling in dough, to say the least. And his severance payments may be offset by future earnings.

But there is no way Wojo goes back to the Duke bench. He doesn't need the money, and those are "great jobs" primarily as a stair-step to future jobs. Wojo has already been a D-I head coach with a winning record and some tournament appearances -- and no violations against his record.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013