Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We don't drink, we don't smoke ...
    Break an arm, Break a leg...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    Now that’s intriguing. I had forgotten that. I knew Nate was the big guy coach and was wondering what’s going to happen with the bigs, including recruiting, now that he’s gone. Bringing back Wojo would certainly fill that need
    If that were to happen, then Nolan would follow Nate. Sucks to wait in line, then have someone jump you. (Always possible Nolan follows Nate anyway, I guess.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If that were to happen, then Nolan would follow Nate. Sucks to wait in line, then have someone jump you. (Always possible Nolan follows Nate anyway, I guess.)
    First, in repsonse to upthread discussions, I feel like we're in 2009 all over again. You don't have to be a big man to coach big men. We don't have to hire someone who is over 6'6 just to say to recruits--"Hey, look, we have a guy kind of tall!" Further, Nate James, while he played some center in high school, played on the wing in college. Yes, he's big and strong, but it's not like he has some institutional knowledge from his playing days. He learned how to coach big men and learned how to motivate players. There is no reason someone 6'2 can't do the same thing.

I don't see any way Wojo comes back to be an assistant. As pointed out the podcast, he doesn't need to recreate his image or get back in the swing like Capel did several years ago. He's a D-1 coach, and he's going to look for head coach opportunities where he can improve his stock--that's not going to happen as a Duke assistant.

Nolan didn't go to Memphis because he was told it was his turn. Nate left, Nolan is up. I guess if Scheyer leaves too, then we have a real question.

Finally, also mentioned on the podcast this week (which one of the 7, I'm not sure, but all fun!) is that there is now a Director of B-ball ops job available and that maybe Shelden or Dahntay could be interested. There is just no way that happens. Before Nolan, no former player had that job. Nolan was coming off a horrible injury and a sudden end to his basketball career, and Duke offered him a job he could do to help lead him into coaching. That's awesome! It's not to say that you can't build a coaching career out of that gig, but has not been a job Duke players have had. Mike Shrage, a former manager, did it for years (he ended up being a coach, which is still kind of wild to me). Spitola did it for several years, great college players, but not a former Duke star who had a job in the NBA. Casey Stevenson and Pat Thompson did that job straight out of college and neither had any playing role in college (Casey can hoop though).

It's an amazing job and one that all of us would likely gladly take. But that job's main responsibilities are scheduling flights, meals, practices, keeping tabs on the players studies, etc. It is not a coaching job. If the person doing it can also help actually coach, that's a huge benefit. But there is no way someone working in the NBA or G-League in a front office or coaching capacity, who has had time to ponder their post-basketball playing career, is going to come and take the Director of Basketball Ops job. I would guess we see a former manager take on the role next year. I'm also available...
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I don't see any way Wojo comes back to be an assistant. As pointed out the podcast, he doesn't need to recreate his image or get back in the swing like Capel did several years ago. He's a D-1 coach, and he's going to look for head coach opportunities where he can improve his stock--that's not going to happen as a Duke assistant. ..
    Agree.

Wojo had a contract through 2023-24. I suspect the deal between Marquette and Texas re Shaka Smart will help pay those bills for a university that is not rolling in dough, to say the least. And his severance payments may be offset by future earnings.

But there is no way Wojo goes back to the Duke bench. He doesn't need the money, and those are "great jobs" primarily as a stair-step to future jobs. Wojo has already been a D-I head coach with a winning record and some tournament appearances -- and no violations against his record.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

From the DBR front page: Nate James Hasn’t Coached A Game At Austin Peay Yet And Is Already Destined For A New Conference

Austin Peay has accepted an offer to move to the ASUN and James will only be part of the OVC for this season (the move is scheduled for next year).
    At first look, this conference move seems a bit lateral, or even downward. At one point last season KenPom ranked the Ohio Valley #24 and the Atlantic Sun #26 among basketball conferences. Before you say "football", the Atlantic Sun is officially starting football in the 2022-2023 season. So maybe it's a move to the future, but with no basis in the past.

One reason is geographical. Clarksville Now quotes Duke football assistant turned Austin Peay AD Gerald Harrison:

“We’re a Southern-facing university, so our student athletes come from Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, some from Florida, and this conference is in that footprint,” Harrison said.

“You’re talking about 10 million homes that are in the ASUN market. That’s not where we live currently in the Ohio Valley Conference. So that kind of exposure’s not just good for athletics, it’s good for the university.”
    Despite its name, the Ohio Valley has teams in Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee. (Akron and Youngstown State left in the late 1980s.)

The Atlantic Sun's announcement lists Austin Peay as its 13th member, with the 6th largest enrollment. Not all its members play football, though.

With the addition of Austin Peay, the ASUN Conference reaches six FCS Football members for the Fall 2022 season joining Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State and North Alabama. The league's footprint remains at seven states (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia) and features 12 of the top-80 media markets in the nation and seven of the top-50.
    Here is how each conference will look next season as of right now. I placed asterisks next to the schools who play football for their conference.

Atlantic Sun (headquarters in Atlanta)

Austin Peay*
    Bellarmine
    Central Arkansas*
    Eastern Kentucky*
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Jacksonville
    Jacksonville State*
    Kennesaw State*
    Liberty
    Lipscomb
    North Alabama*
    North Florida
    Stetson

Ohio Valley (headquarters in Brentwood, TN, a suburb of Nashville)

Belmont
    Eastern Illinois*
    Morehead State
    Murray State*
    Southeast Missouri State*
    Southern Illinois - Edwardsville
    Tennessee State*
    Tennessee Tech*
    Tennessee - Martin*

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Despite its name, the Ohio Valley has teams in Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee. (Akron and Youngstown State left in the late 1980s.)
    Aside from Missouri, all of those states are in the "Ohio valley". NC actually is, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_River

To the point of your post, the ASUN looks like it has some strong news worthy football teams. Liberty, FGC, and the Jacksonville teams stand out.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 09-19-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Aside from Missouri, all of those states are in the "Ohio valley". NC actually is, too.
    Well, I wouldn't go that far. NC has some drainage over the divide, but those parts of the state aren't yet in any kind of "valley". The valley parts of the state all drain east.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't go that far. NC has some drainage over the divide, but those parts of the state aren't yet in any kind of "valley". The valley parts of the state all drain east.
    THE Map says you're wrong!

(I don't really care, but I did think it's interesting that NC is in it. (Western NC waters apparently do run into the Ohio River, of which the "valley" consists of the Ohio River basin.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well... I live in a valley in the NC mountains, and the little creek that runs through my back yard eventually flows into the French Broad, which after a couple more name changes, empties into the Ohio. So technically you're wrong

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
    Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Well... I live in a valley in the NC mountains, and the little creek that runs through my back yard eventually flows into the French Broad, which after a couple more name changes, empties into the Ohio. So technically you're wrong

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
    We must be nearly neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We must be nearly neighbors!
    Yes, I should fill in and update my profile.
    Section 15

Nate James, the Forgotten Man

I am pleased to report that Austin Peay, under new coach, Nate James, won its first game. Way to go Nate! Let’s just say it was convenient that James, who was on the Duke staff longer than Scheyer and had the same title of Associate Coach, took the Austin Peay job in April before the June coronation of Scheyer. I suspect Coach K told James what was going to happen and encouraged him to take the AP job, as he was going to be passed over for the Duke job.

It is what it is. But let’s not forget Nate. He is a class act (and always looked great on the bench).let’s go Peay,

Quote Originally Posted by korshmar View Post
    I am pleased to report that Austin Peay, under new coach, Nate James, won its first game. Way to go Nate! Let’s just say it was convenient that James, who was on the Duke staff longer than Scheyer and had the same title of Associate Coach, took the Austin Peay job in April before the June coronation of Scheyer. I suspect Coach K told James what was going to happen and encouraged him to take the AP job, as he was going to be passed over for the Duke job.

It is what it is. But let’s not forget Nate. He is a class act (and always looked great on the bench).let’s go Peay,
    Congrats to Nate James!

I'm not so sure that is the correct timeline. Let's remember that Jon Scheyer was interviewing for DePaul and then UNLV right around the same time Nate James was interviewing at Austin Peay. In fact, Scheyer interviewed at UNLV after Nate James was hired on April 2nd. I don't think Coach K had decided at that point that he was going to retire, or at least announced it.

Thanks for jogging our memories about Nate. Glad to hear he won his first game.

In researching him a bit, I found that they play Howard, with head coach Kenny Blakeney and assistant coach Tyler Thornton, on Friday, Nov. 26.

I also found out that Chris Carrawell's son Caleb Stone-Carrawell transferred to Austin Peay from Charlotte and is on the team now - he started the first game and is 6-7.

And to find this information, I went to their athletics web site letsgopeay.com - hearkening back to their famous cheer for their star player in the 70s James "Fly" Williams - the Fly is open, let's go Peay!

There will be no Peaying from the cheerleaders at any sporting events in the near future.
    Austin Peay State University has suspended their cheerleading team amid alleged violations of the schools' policies, officials confirm.

The team and staff will not be allowed to represent the Clarksville school or athletics departments in the future while allegations are being investigated, a spokesperson with APSU says.
    https://fox17.com/news/local/nashvil...wsletter-daily

I couldn’t quickly uncover the transgressions that seem to have waylaid the cheerleaders, but things don’t seem to be going swimmingly for one of our favorite Devils. Austin Peay is 8-20 this season, though Chris Carrawell’s son, Caleb, has been a solid contributor as a 6’7” sophomore averaging almost 8 points per game (22 minutes pg; 34% from 3; 80.5% FT).

May the rest of this season, and all of the next, improve quickly for Coach James!
    Last edited by johnb; 02-17-2023 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I couldn’t quickly uncover the transgressions that seem to have waylaid the cheerleaders, but things don’t seem to be going swimmingly for one of our favorite Devils. Austin Peay is 8-20 this season, though Chris Carrawell’s son, Caleb, has been a solid contributor as a 6’7” sophomore averaging almost 8 points per game.

May the rest of this season, and all of the next, improve quickly for Coach James!
    You might call this Nate James' second first season as coach. Austin Peay ended their affiliation with the Ohio Valley Conference last season (2021-2022) and moved to the Atlantic Sun this season (2022-2023). I talk about this a little in post #45 above.

So he's been a newcomer to a league for 2 straight seasons. Next season (his third) will be the first time he has any familiarity with his conference opponents.

Austin Peay is on the front page of ESPN coverage for a major scuffle that broke out at the end of the game. Not sure what the ramifications will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Austin Peay is on the front page of ESPN coverage for a major scuffle that broke out at the end of the game. Not sure what the ramifications will be.
    Video.

https://twitter.com/rileycplatt/stat...80280434704386

I know the NBA has rules governing players leaving the bench during a scuffle. Does the ASUN conference have such rules? Does the NCAA? Lots of Peay players left the bench.