Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    As a Badger fan (in a far distant second to Duke), it brings me special joy that his last game was an embarrassing loss to the University of Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Very fair and good point. To clarify, not saying I think that's the route that UNC will go, just that it's not as entirely outlandish as some are saying.
    Fair enough, but it is a very risky strategy.

And Duke fans should celebrate if UNC does go in this direction. The chances the assistant coach fails is pretty high compared to a proven head coach.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Jay Bilas: "Roy Williams has been a credit to the profession, and one of the truly great coaches of all-time, in any sport. Williams is also a wonderful person. Congratulations on a magnificent career, and thank you."
    Jay was picked up on a hot mic afterward mumbling, "It's only cheating if you get punished. Getting caught means nothing."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Fair enough, but it is a very risky strategy.

And Duke fans should celebrate if UNC does go in this direction. The chances the assistant coach fails is pretty high compared to a proven head coach.
    The last time a “legendary”coach retired there, and they hired one of their assistants, they went to two Final Fours in three years. (Then he retired, and they had a couple of bad years, of course, helped by limited recruiting success.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The last time a “legendary”coach retired there, and they hired one of their assistants, they went to two Final Fours in three years. (Then he retired, and they had a couple of bad years, of course, helped by limited recruiting success.)
    Exactly. Guthridge could coach; he couldn't recruit. Look at UNC right now; the cupboard is bare with the exception of Caleb Love, who had the lowest FG% of any 5-star recruit EVER.

Bad time to take over UNC.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    My cat could've coached that '98 team to the Final Four. Had Dean stayed there's a very good chance that team wins the natty and goes undefeated.

Gut turned down Jason Williams because he had already prioritized Adam Boone. He left the cupboard absolutely bare.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Wonder if a new coach, if brought on reasonably quickly, would re-recruit Kessler to UNC? Or could there be additional transfers out with coaching uncertainty? Incoming recruiting class wasn't particularly strong but they could lose some of those players as well. Lots and lots of moving parts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Just reported on the radio that Beard is going to Texas.

Edit: Also per Jeff Goodman on Twitter
    This is fantastic news!! I’m a Texas alum and Beard is the guy I’ve been dreaming about for the Longhorns. And it’s especially exhilarating to know that UNC won’t be getting him.

Beard going to the Heels would have been very bad news for Duke, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    This is fantastic news!! I’m a Texas alum and Beard is the guy I’ve been dreaming about for the Longhorns. And it’s especially exhilarating to know that UNC won’t be getting him.

Beard going to the Heels would have been very bad news for Duke, I think.
    Don't count your steaks until it's signed on the dotted line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Jay Bilas: "Roy Williams has been a credit to the profession, and one of the truly great coaches of all-time, in any sport. Williams is also a wonderful person. Congratulations on a magnificent career, and thank you."
    Well, now that the Omniscient One has spoken, what more needs to be said? I would suggest the Mods consider closing the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Exactly. Guthridge could coach; he couldn't recruit. Look at UNC right now; the cupboard is bare with the exception of Caleb Love, who had the lowest FG% of any 5-star recruit EVER.

Bad time to take over UNC.
    Roy is pulling a Jimbo Fisher.

I'll miss Roy saving all his timeouts the most.Just legendary!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    My cat could've coached that '98 team to the Final Four.
    Please forward your cat's resume to Bubba C., c/o the Smith Center.

April Fool’s! They got ya!

Y’all— this is CLEARLY an April Fool’s Day joke. I’m sure folks will laugh about it for years, until Roy really retires.

Note the time of the “press conference”— 4:00. Maybe it will start 1 minute late...
    4:01

p.s. I case it isn’t a joke... good riddance!! But it is a joke. Has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    I'll miss Roy saving all his timeouts the most.Just legendary!
    What I'll miss most is his press conferences after a loss. #dadgummit

How about Cal?

;^)

Worth noting:

Today is the 30th anniversary of K beating Roy and Kansas in the championship game for our first Natty.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Beard is a UT alum and surely UT opened up the money truck for him. I think it’s fine to start counting steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I’m headed to Q Shack in Durham right now to celebrate with some Texas-styled BBQ!! I’m planning to get the two-meat plate with brisket, ribs, coleslaw, potato salad, hush puppies, and sweet tea.

Even if Texas getting Beard turns out to be an April Fools’ Day joke, I still win!

Would Tony Bennett consider an in-conference job?