Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Roy Williams is the greatest in NCAA history to be born on 3rd base twice while also utilizing massive academic fraud to keep athletes eligible in order to compete at the highest level.

Congratulations to all involved.

9F
    This.

The only DBR April fools joke that ever got me was in 1999 or 2000 when they reported Dean Smith was coming out of retirement to take over for Guthridge. Since then I've had my radar up so I'm still having a very hard time believing this.

And if true, come on UNC PR department. Couldn't this have been announced yesterday or tomorrow?

Ok, if they want to stay in the family/tree who are the likely candidates?

Wes Miller has been amazing at UNC-G... but this is a huuuue step up from there.

King Rice has done well at Monmouth, but again... too big a step up from small school to the big big big time.

Jerod Haase has not exactly lit the world on fire at Stanford. Plus, he's a Kansas dude even though he was an assistant to Roy at UNC.

Jeff Lebo did poorly at Auburn and is now doing poorly at East Carolina. No way.

Jerry Stackhouse seemed like an up and comer, but has floundered at Vandy.

It is possible they take one of the guys currently on the bench... is Hubert Davis ready?

This won't be nearly as easy as when Roy came over from Kansas.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Wow, this appears to be real. This past season has been tough on everyone. The past three seasons have been tough on Ol’ Roy. But in all seriousness, the changes to the sport including players leaving early, transfers, agents, NIL, etc. will likely drive quite a few coaches into retirement. I have no love lost for Roy and his decades of cheating, but this is still quite shocking.
    It was rumored over the past week. It sounds like he really lost the locker room.

But reliable people were saying he's not going out like this.

I just hope there's a way to take some of that fraudulent banners down while he's still alive to see it.

9F

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    How many timeouts is he taking with him?
    All of them.

-jk

Didn’t someone say that he kissed the floor of the Dean Dome after the senior game? I think there was speculation then that he was considering retiring. He may have already known.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Let's all slow down a bit here...

I dislike Roy as much as the next Duke fan, especially given the way he's dealt with players who leave the program early and the academic scandal.

BUT, right now the way it looks like we're all "celebrating" his retirement isn't a great look for us as Duke fans. He's still a human being, one with well known health issues (i.e., the instances with vertigo), so we don't know the whole story here yet. So let's slow down just a touch.

Schadenfreude is fantastic when it comes to the team/program losing and struggling. But it can come across as mean-spirited when it's directed towards an individual human being. Roy is that, even if he did wear the wrong shade of blue.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Didn’t someone say that he kissed the floor of the Dean Dome after the senior game? I think there was speculation then that he was considering retiring. He may have already known.
    Yeah, there was a big buzz about that. He totally downplayed it's significance, but you have to wonder now if he did know, or at least suspect, that it was his last game.

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    , but I respect the hell out of Roy Williams.
    Nope...he extended and massively used the fake class program that Dean started to win his national championships. Let's not even talk about his kids driving around expensive rental cars and he had no clue, or him letting a former player stay in a $600k rental house he owned (back when a $600k house was a big deal), or him stringing PJ Harrison along not to hurt his APR letting him think he'd be back on the team after getting busted in the Wheels for Heels scandal + drugs + a firearm. The guy is a cheat through and through. No respect. The sporting world will be better when a cheater like him is gone.

Did he win a lot? Sure, and if that's all you care about, I guess respect him for doing whatever it took to win.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Wes Miller has been amazing at UNC-G... but this is a huuuue step up from there.

King Rice has done well at Monmouth, but again... too big a step up from small school to the big big big time.

Jerod Haase has not exactly lit the world on fire at Stanford. Plus, he's a Kansas dude even though he was an assistant to Roy at UNC.

Jeff Lebo did poorly at Auburn and is now doing poorly at East Carolina. No way.

It is possible they take one of the guys currently on the bench... is Hubert Davis ready?

You mean when Ol' Roy didn't give a #%!* about Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't care if it's true or not...just the mere thought if it happening one day is enough to give me a nice drug-free high. I'm all warm and fuzzy inside if not for right now, for next year, or in five years. I want that *wankerizer* gone so bad that just thinking of him retiring makes me happy.

If it's true and you guys don't hear from me for a few weeks, I might have started to float away and you can find me on cloud nine.
    Yes sir, and for the love of academic regularity, let's not turn this thread into a Roy love fest. I am on cloud nine. Hope the fishing treats you better than those TarHeel fans, Roy.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

If Carolina is smart, they are calling Chris Beard before he cuts a deal with Texas. !#^!^@ the family connection, you get the best guy you can and Beard is a logical choice. I might also wait a few days and give Scott Drew a call... just to see if he is interested.

And I would for sure float Bill Self's name... just to give heart attacks to everyone in Kansas.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Early word on Inside Carolina is Brad Stevens.

-jk

OH NO, NOT LEBO!!!!!!!!!

(That felt good)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Wow, this appears to be real. This past season has been tough on everyone. The past three seasons have been tough on Ol’ Roy. But in all seriousness, the changes to the sport including players leaving early, transfers, agents, NIL, etc. will likely drive quite a few coaches into retirement. I have no love lost for Roy and his decades of cheating, but this is still quite shocking.
    Yes. Say what you will about Roy and UNC, but I do believe Roy cares a lot more than the average coach. As someone who burned out trying to compassionately navigate a small business of employees through COVID, I can imagine it really taking a toll

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    He's still a human being, one with well known health issues (i.e., the instances with vertigo), so we don't know the whole story here yet. So let's slow down just a touch.

Schadenfreude is fantastic when it comes to the team/program losing and struggling. But it can come across as mean-spirited when it's directed towards an individual human being. Roy is that, even if he did wear the wrong shade of blue.
    If he's retiring due to a serious health issue, I wish him will in his retirement and treatment. I have no hard feelings for Roy Williams the person.

I hear UNC fans calling for Kenny Smith. I will say, he clearly is a cheerleader for his team and his game analysis is sharp. But bringing in a wholly untested coach is dangerous business.

Hubert Davis

Jay Bilas to UNC confirmed.

Ole Huck is packing his tackle box and goin’ fishin’