Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    On Friday April 23rd, 2021, the St. Louis Cardinals find themselves in last place of the NL Central at 8-10 with 144 games remaining.

The Chicago Cubs have won 3 in a row and the Cincinnati Reds have lost 4 in a row to tie for 2nd place at 9-9. The Milwaukee Brewers sit atop the NL Central at 11-7 after winning 3 games in a row.

I realize there are so many games left but I have always emphasized that each one counts the same in the final standings. In other words, wins and losses in April are no different than wins and losses in September during a pennant race. The Cardinals in recent seasons have found themselves just a bit short or behind in the standings in September. A good way to cure that is to stack up wins early and often and get off to good starts.

This is a big three game series this weekend at Busch Stadium for the Cardinals vs the Reds. The Cardinals really need to take 2 of 3 or sweep. Losing 2 or 3 or being swept would put them at 12-13 losses already in April and set up for what would look like a pretty mediocre start. Hoping the guys play better this weekend.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    The Brewers were my pick to win the NL Central but I thought and still think the Cards will be 2nd. I didn't think we had the starting pitching staff needed to win in the postseason or maybe not good enough to make the playoffs. Milwaukee has the pitching but I don't know about the hitting. The Reds will hit and their pitching is pretty good. The Cubs, well to me they're the Tarheels of baseball. and the Pirates are not going to spend any money to get players. Like I posted in another post, our September schedule is really going to be tough. So coming from behind in the division will be harder this season.

GoRedbirds!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    You are spot on about Carpenter. By playing him at 2nd and putting Tommy Edman in the outfield it deprives the club of letting young outfielders get a chance at the major league level. Tommy has played Gold Glove defense at 2nd and the outfield. I read the other day that he was the only player in the majors that had played X amount of games and not made an error at two positions. It looks like Williams(outfielder) is going to be much better than Carpenter(now) and of course Shildt will insert Bader(CF) and his low .200 average in the lineup when he comes off the injured list. The outfield would be LF= Williams, CF= Bader, and RF= Carlson. That means someone will sit and I sure hope it's Carpenter. Changing his swing trying for the long ball and his refusal to hit against the shift has derailed his career.

GoRedbirds!
    Sorry, saw this and had to comment.

Just how do you propose thatCarpenter (or any other batter) “hit against the shift”?

It’s not just the positioning of the infielders, it’s also the pitches. When in a shift, a pitcher will pitch inside, to induce the pull that is the batter’s tendency anyway. Trying to hit to the other side would typically result in a pop up rather than an actual hit. When a hitter facing a shift actually hits one reasonably solid to the other direction, it’s probably due to a pitching mistake, one out further on the plate than desired.

It it was so easy to “hit against the shift” don’t you think batters would have done it already?

(and you try bunting a high and inside pitch anywhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The Brewers were my pick to win the NL Central but I thought and still think the Cards will be 2nd. I didn't think we had the starting pitching staff needed to win in the postseason or maybe not good enough to make the playoffs. Milwaukee has the pitching but I don't know about the hitting. The Reds will hit and their pitching is pretty good. The Cubs, well to me they're the Tarheels of baseball. and the Pirates are not going to spend any money to get players. Like I posted in another post, our September schedule is really going to be tough. So coming from behind in the division will be harder this season.

GoRedbirds!
    Yeah, agree on Milwaukee taking the NL Central. I actually find them a likable club for an NL Central team and if/when the Cardinals are eliminated, I pull for them. I actually lived in Wisconsin for my job at one point in my life. I made it to two Brewers games at Miller Park (vs the Braves and Diamondbacks) and one at Target Field vs the Twins. Both are awesome places to catch a game. The Midwest to me has a certain charm and Brewers fans like their beer and brats (and cheese) and are a good bunch. Their catcher Narváez is having a great year. I still pull for Kolten Wong and miss him in St. Louis. I’m eager to see how they do at Wrigley this weekend. They face Hendricks and Arrieta in two of the games. The Cubs are like UNC to me too, I was happy for them in 2016 so folks would finally stop calling them underdogs and talking about their title drought. I have to dislike them as a Cardinals fan . I think Baez is phenomenally talented but swings out of his shoes too much and hot dogs it too much out there. As a fan of the Cubs, you have to love his swagger but as an opposing fan, it rubs us the wrong way in many instances. Same can be said for Contreras. I do like Hendricks because he pitches with a fastball in the mid to high 80s and used deception and lots of change ups and movement and he reminds me of a poor man’s Greg Maddux (loved watching him pitch). Arrieta seems likable too as does Heyward, Happ, and Rizzo. David Ross is one heck of a guy, too. Now that I think about it, why do I dislike them again? Oh yeah, I’m a huge Cardinals fan

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post

Just how do you propose thatCarpenter (or any other batter) “hit against the shift”?

It’s not just the positioning of the infielders, it’s also the pitches. When in a shift, a pitcher will pitch inside, to induce the pull that is the batter’s tendency anyway. Trying to hit to the other side would typically result in a pop up rather than an actual hit. When a hitter facing a shift actually hits one reasonably solid to the other direction, it’s probably due to a pitching mistake, one out further on the plate than desired.

It it was so easy to “hit against the shift” don’t you think batters would have done it already?

Good points, but a big reason why teams shift so drastically against hitters anyway is because of demonstrated holes in the batter’s swings that cause them to spray the ball to certain places on the infield frequently based off certain pitch locations. The shift is essentially incorporated now because of this analysis. The GREAT hitters can hit to all fields, even on pitches that are inside like you mentioned, or at least, drive it right up the middle. Most of Carpenter’s problem to me appears that he rolls over inside pitches and hits weak grounders to the right side. Even on inside pitches, lefties can either fight them off and foul them or pull the hands in and drive it up the middle or down the line with power. Bunting is also an option but as you said it’s difficult and seems like a lost art to me largely at the MLB level. The Cardinals aren’t paying Carpenter to be a professional bunter either. I think he needs to be more selective with the pitches he swings at, try to work the count, and if they continue to pitch him inside, just try to smash it right over the pitcher’s head on a line.

Easier said than done, right? Hitting a pitched baseball to me is the toughest thing to do in any American professional team sport.

Interesting article from Tom Verducci about the impact of the shift, focusing on Jay Bruce, who just retired and saw his stats deteriorate at least in part due to shifts. I tend to agree with Verducci that the constant extreme shifts are harming the game.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/04/22/ja...ift-the-opener

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Interesting article from Tom Verducci about the impact of the shift, focusing on Jay Bruce, who just retired and saw his stats deteriorate at least in part due to shifts. I tend to agree with Verducci that the constant extreme shifts are harming the game.

I don't see the shift as harming the game. It's a defense designed to take away one thing at the expense of something else. If hitters want to adapt, they can adapt. Players are choosing to continue to hit into the shift because they feel it is better value for the opportunity to hit a double or HR than it is to take the single.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I have read that article and he brings up some good points. As a former pitcher, I would add, however, that the pitcher still has to execute the pitch for these shifts to work. They aren’t out there just to get teed off on by lineups. As far as entertainment value, I could see it as being boring watching teams shift lots and vacuuming up ground ball after ground ball. I think baseball purists may think it’s against the grain but hitters need to adapt as well. A good pitcher’s duel, low scoring game mixed in to me is entertaining. The baseballs are juiced now too which has increased the ability for hitters to hit it further at the detriment of pitching statistics. And there are still hitters out there putting up insane numbers. Ronald Acuña, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper (lefty), Freddie Freeman (lefty) ... those two left handed batters are faster than Bruce and Carpenter and have quicker hands. They don’t get beat inside and dare the pitcher to come into their kitchen so to speak with fastballs. To me, the demand for slow footed, slow handed left handed pull hitters has decreased if anything.

My opinion on the shift - I hate it. With that being said if hitters would learn to adjust and poke just enough slow rollers down the opposite side of the field they would quit doing it. I don't blame teams for doing it, I blame hitters for not taking what they are giving you - a free pass to get on base without giving up an out. Even if the analytics say just keep swinging away I would have to think over the long term you would be better off keeping them honest because if you do it enough eventually you would get to hit against the traditional defense.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Something I didn’t think I’d see this season: the Yankees in last place in the AL East. They have the 2nd worst record in the AL at 7-11 and sit 4 games back of the division leading Boston Red Sox.
    Don't expect them to stay in last place. They have won 2 of their last 3. As a Yankee hater, I expect them to continue to win two out of three the rest of the season and end up with ~100 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Don't expect them to stay in last place. They have won 2 of their last 3. As a Yankee hater, I expect them to continue to win two out of three the rest of the season and end up with ~100 wins.
    I agree, and as a Dodgers fan, that the Yankees are pretty loaded. If they are still floundering in a month or 2, I'd expect that a new manager, not that I'm criticizing the current job, but Yankees management/fans with high expectations are not the most patient bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    My opinion on the shift - I hate it. With that being said if hitters would learn to adjust and poke just enough slow rollers down the opposite side of the field they would quit doing it. I don't blame teams for doing it, I blame hitters for not taking what they are giving you - a free pass to get on base without giving up an out. Even if the analytics say just keep swinging away I would have to think over the long term you would be better off keeping them honest because if you do it enough eventually you would get to hit against the traditional defense.
    Yep. Full disclosure: I'm pretty heavily against the idea of an illegal defense. In my opinion, as long as you have the appropriate number (or fewer) players on the field and are not violating other rules (e.g., not driving carts or tackling runners or carrying fishnets) I think the defense should be allowed to align however they want. If you want to put 7 guys in the outfield? Sure, and teams will just hit grounders all day and beat you station-to-station. If you want to have an extra infielder? Why not, but teams will abuse your 2-man outfield. Want to put 7 guys in foul territory? Strange, but go for it.

As you said, the shift takes away certain things but allows the opportunity for certain other things. Hitters will need to adapt. It's just an innovation done by the defense that hitters haven't adapted to yet.

The "launch angle" approach was an example of innovation by hitters. The result? Pitchers learned to throw 95+ mph fastballs up in the zone, such that it's VERY hard to use that "launch-angle" swing successfully. So hitters will have to adapt to that as more and more teams work up in the zone rather than down (which had been the previous norm).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep. Full disclosure: I'm pretty heavily against the idea of an illegal defense. In my opinion, as long as you have the appropriate number (or fewer) players on the field and are not violating other rules (e.g., not driving carts or tackling runners or carrying fishnets) I think the defense should be allowed to align however they want. If you want to put 7 guys in the outfield? Sure, and teams will just hit grounders all day and beat you station-to-station. If you want to have an extra infielder? Why not, but teams will abuse your 2-man outfield. Want to put 7 guys in foul territory? Strange, but go for it.

As you said, the shift takes away certain things but allows the opportunity for certain other things. Hitters will need to adapt. It's just an innovation done by the defense that hitters haven't adapted to yet.

The "launch angle" approach was an example of innovation by hitters. The result? Pitchers learned to throw 95+ mph fastballs up in the zone, such that it's VERY hard to use that "launch-angle" swing successfully. So hitters will have to adapt to that as more and more teams work up in the zone rather than down (which had been the previous norm).
    As I understand the rules, only the catcher may be in foul territory before a pitch. The others need to have at least one foot in fair ground.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I agree, and as a Dodgers fan, that the Yankees are pretty loaded. If they are still floundering in a month or 2, I'd expect that a new manager, not that I'm criticizing the current job, but Yankees management/fans with high expectations are not the most patient bunch.
    They’ve had three managers in 25 years. The Dodgers, in the same time frame, have had eight (not counting Tommy LaSorda’s brief last partial season.)

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    As I understand the rules, only the catcher may be in foul territory before a pitch. The others need to have at least one foot in fair ground.
    Interesting. That seems like a weird rule to need, but okay. So if you want 7 guys on the foul line...

Are the Cubs back?

They’re up a touchdown on the Brewers in the bottom of the 2nd at Wrigley.

They went for the two point conversion it appears too - it’s now 8-0.

Heyward just hit a triple off the Ivy for the Cubbies.

10-0 Cubs in the bottom of the 2nd. This is the kind of loss for the Brewers that could seriously drain their bullpen in the first game of a 3 game series on the road ...

The starting pitcher for the Brew Crew Brett Anderson left the game with right knee discomfort after just 1/3 of an inning pitched. He gave up 3 hits and 3 earned runs in his short start.

The reliever that replaced him Josh Lindblom has a horrendous statistical line going: 1.2 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 3 BBs, 3 Ks (back to back HRs surrendered to Rizzo and Baez and a triple off the Ivy to Heyward mixed in that hit total).

The Brew Crew may have to let their mascot Bernie Brewer throw a few innings today to get out of this one without too much more damage to their bullpen!

They’ve had three managers in 25 years. The Dodgers, in the same time frame, have had eight (not counting Tommy LaSorda’s brief last partial season.)
    The Yankees also have missed the playoffs only 4 times in the last 25 years and finished over .500 each of those years, too. They've won the WS 5 times and won at least 100 games 7 times. It's been a long time since the Yankees had justifiably very high expectations and have underperformed to any degree. Do you think if they are middling at mid-season there won't be heavy pressure on Boone? There was a lot of heat on Girardi for his last few years.

Interestingly, 5 of the 7 Dodgers managers (including one who was just an interim) never managed anywhere else again, with a 6th, Davey Johnson, who didn't manage anywhere else for 11 years. Most of them were bumping up against retirement. Only Mattingly continued managing without at least a 10-year break. I imagine if the Dodgers are fortunate enough to continue winning as they have been recently, Roberts will have a tenure more like LaSorda or Alston than Russell.

After a 3-run HR from Wilson Contreras, it’s now 15-2 Cubs in the bottom of the 6th.

This one is gonna put a hurtin’ on the team ERA of the Brew Crew!

The Chicago Cubs have won 4 in a row and sit at 10-9 after beating the Milwaukee Brewers 15-2. The Cubbies are making some noise early in the NL Central. If they start hitting, look out ...