Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Should be interesting, thought Wainwright’s Era was bad at 7+ until I saw Corbin at 21+. Go Cards!

“Nationals lefty Patrick Corbin (0-2, 21.32 ERA) and Cardinals righty Adam Wainwright (0-2, 7.11) have been struggling heading into their pitching matchup Tuesday night.”
    They were both dealing tonight - 1 run (on a wall scraper HR) in 13 innings between them

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    They were both dealing tonight - 1 run (on a wall scraper HR) in 13 innings between them
    7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 Ks for Waino tonight, quite a line ...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 Ks for Waino tonight, quite a line ...
    Great job by the ageless one, Adam Wainwright(Waino). Too bad the bullpen(Gallegos) couldn't get the job done. I wish when Shildt walked the bases loaded he would have brought in Reyes(closer). Instead, after striking out one guy, Gallegos walked in the lead run on 4 pitches. But in the end it was another classic Cardinal trait, after scoring 12 runs in the previous game, they only manage 2 runs on 6 hits in the next. But it's better than getting shut out. Waino gave them a chance but alas not to be. This was the first time in 17 games that a Cardinal starter has gone at least 7 innings. Maybe the rest of the rotation can step up and not let the old man show them up.

GoRedbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Great job by the ageless one, Adam Wainwright(Waino). Too bad the bullpen(Gallegos) couldn't get the job done. I wish when Shildt walked the bases loaded he would have brought in Reyes(closer). Instead, after striking out one guy, Gallegos walked in the lead run on 4 pitches. But in the end it was another classic Cardinal trait, after scoring 12 runs in the previous game, they only manage 2 runs on 6 hits in the next. But it's better than getting shut out. Waino gave them a chance but alas not to be. This was the first time in 17 games that a Cardinal starter has gone at least 7 innings. Maybe the rest of the rotation can step up and not let the old man show them up.

GoRedbirds.
    Yeah we were wondering why Reyes wasn’t brought in when Gallegos had control issues in the 8th. Reyes was ready in the pen. Shildt was asked after the game about this decision and he said it wasn’t time to press the proverbial panic button since Gallegos typically is lights out. He didn’t have it last night, though.

Waino was dealing. Was nice to see Carlson hit the triple off the wall. Gotta win the rubber match today but Scherzer is starting for the Nats so it will be a tough one to win. Seems like this team is eerily similar to the 2016-2018 teams ... 1 step forward 2 steps back ...

Yeah we were wondering why Reyes wasn’t brought in when Gallegos had control issues in the 8th. Reyes was ready in the pen. Shildt was asked after the game about this decision and he said it wasn’t time to press the proverbial panic button since Gallegos typically is lights out. He didn’t have it last night, though.

Waino was dealing. Was nice to see Carlson hit the triple off the wall. Gotta win the rubber match today but Scherzer is starting for the Nats so it will be a tough one to win. Seems like this team is eerily similar to the 2016-2018 teams ... 1 step forward 2 steps back ...
    Hitting has been a problem for a while and now the starting rotation is not been good so far. But the season is still young. However I'll still be worried about the lack of hitting. I think Martinez is going today for the Redbirds and he's not been good for a while now. I think I read that he's looking for his first win as a starter since 2018.

GoRedbirds!

Not time to hit the panic button with his closer, but time to use a 5 man infield in a tie game in the 8th? That move seemed to indicate the Cards believed that to be the highest leverage situation in the game, and at that point I assume you want your best pitcher (unless he doesn't pitch well coming in with men on base - I'm a Nats fan so don't follow the Redbirds as closely as many of you). Very odd to me.

Not time to hit the panic button with his closer, but time to use a 5 man infield in a tie game in the 8th? That move seemed to indicate the Cards believed that to be the highest leverage situation in the game, and at that point I assume you want your best pitcher (unless he doesn't pitch well coming in with men on base - I'm a Nats fan so don't follow the Redbirds as closely as many of you). Very odd to me.
    I am friends with lots of Nats fans. They have a good club again this year to me.

Shildt basically said Gallegos had pitched out of jams before and he still trusted him, especially with Gallegos punching two batters out in the bottom of the 8th. Said the 5 infielder move was rare (the first time he’s incorporated it in the big leagues) and he trusted the matchup with Gallegos’s stuff vs a heavy ground ball hitter (Castro). He was giving Gallegos a long leash because he trusted him to get the job done. His decision could be questioned in hindsight but I probably side with the skipper on that one. Reyes was ready though, I was surprised he didn’t get brought in but I understand Shildt’s reasoning.

It was a nice night for a game. Nats Park has good hot dogs.

Not time to hit the panic button with his closer, but time to use a 5 man infield in a tie game in the 8th?...Very odd to me.
    ...Shildt basically said Gallegos had pitched out of jams before and he still trusted him, especially with Gallegos punching two batters out in the bottom of the 8th. Said the 5 infielder move was rare (the first time he’s incorporated it in the big leagues) and he trusted the matchup with Gallegos’s stuff vs a heavy ground ball hitter (Castro). He was giving Gallegos a long leash because he trusted him to get the job done. His decision could be questioned in hindsight...but I understand Shildt’s reasoning...
    Seems like a Shildt-brained strategy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Seems like a Shildt-brained strategy to me.
    lol in hindsight, sure. The guy was carrying a 2.00 era entering the game last night and has traditionally been pretty lights out from the pen. He struggled with his control last night but still K’d two batters and was a batter away from getting out of it. Shildt wanted to see if he could get out of the jam and rolled the dice, didn’t work out last night. That’s baseball and why he gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions ...

lol in hindsight, sure. The guy was carrying a 2.00 era entering the game last night and has traditionally been pretty lights out from the pen. He struggled with his control last night but still K’d two batters and was a batter away from getting out of it. Shildt wanted to see if he could get out of the jam and rolled the dice, didn’t work out last night. That’s baseball and why he gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions ...
    The more I think about it, maybe Shildt was trying to protect his closer, Reyes. Alex has had his share of injuries in his young career. Letting him get 5 outs might have been risking injury. I'll be glad when the flame throwing Hicks is getting the 8th or 9th inning. That 105 mph fastball he threw in the 2019 season was the fastest that season and maybe the fastest ever recorded.

GoRedbirds!

It looks like the Cards are having trouble with the Nats, Scherzer. Down 1-0 in the 3rd inning and have only 3 hits. Yadi getting a day off and it's well deserved. Martinez is having a good game with 1 run allowed on 2 hits. I hope he can keep the Birds in the game and maybe the Nats will go to their bullpen.

GoRedbirds!

Mad Max Scherzer shoved it down the Cardinals throat today at Nationals Park. The Nationals won 1-0 and took the rubber match of the three gave series. Mad Max was brilliant as usual, throwing 6 innings while allowing just 4 hits and issuing 1 walk while striking out 9 batters.

Carlos Martinez actually threw the ball well for St. Louis. He also threw 6 innings while allowing 4 hits and an earned run while walking one batter and striking out 3. The Cardinals were blanked offensively after scoring just two runs the night before. The loss drops the Cardinals record to 8-10.

The Cardinals start a three game series this Friday at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri vs the Cincinnati Reds. First pitch Friday is set for 7:15 pm CT as part of an upcoming 7 game home stand. Sonny Gray is set to start on the hill for the Reds opposite Kwang Hyun Kim for the Cardinals.

Let’s Go Redbirds!

Mad Max Scherzer shoved it down the Cardinals throat today at Nationals Park. The Nationals won 1-0 and took the rubber match of the three gave series. Mad Max was brilliant as usual, throwing 6 innings while allowing just 4 hits and issuing 1 walk while striking out 9 batters.

Carlos Martinez actually threw the ball well for St. Louis. He also threw 6 innings while allowing 4 hits and an earned run while walking one batter and striking out 3. The Cardinals were blanked offensively after scoring just two runs the night before. The loss drops the Cardinals record to 8-10.

The Cardinals start a three game series this Friday at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri vs the Cincinnati Reds. First pitch Friday is set for 7:15 pm CT as part of an upcoming 7 game home stand. Sonny Gray is set to start on the hill for the Reds opposite Kwang Hyun Kim for the Cardinals.

Let’s Go Redbirds!
    Some Cardinal observations:
    In the Cards 8 wins they're averaging 8 runs per game but in their 10 losses they're averaging 2.1 runs per game. Part of the problem came to light in yesterday's game. Matt Carpenter who is hitting .081 came up twice with the bases loaded. 1 strikeout on 4 pitches and one line out to right. Even though his exit velocity on hit balls is high, he continues to hit into the shift. His strikeout rate is 36%. Playing him at 2nd base means Tommy Edman has to move to the outfield at times. Tommy has played excellent defense in the infield and outfield, having not made an error at any position this season(jinx?)
    Carlos Martinez failed to win yesterday but he pitched a great game. 1 run on 4 hits. He's the only Cardinal starter to go 5 innings in all his starts.
    The Cardinal play the Reds beginning on Friday with Kim, Gant and Flaherty the starters. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when Castalannas of the Reds comes up. He was in the middle of a benches clearing altercation in the first series in Cincy. After being off today, the Birds play 17 straight days which has prompted manager, Mike Shildt to use a 6 man rotation. Johnan Oviedo a young prospect is going to be the 6th starter. He pitched very well in long relief a few days ago.

GoRedbirds!

Some Cardinal observations:
    In the Cards 8 wins they're averaging 8 runs per game but in their 10 losses they're averaging 2.1 runs per game. Part of the problem came to light in yesterday's game. Matt Carpenter who is hitting .081 came up twice with the bases loaded. 1 strikeout on 4 pitches and one line out to right. Even though his exit velocity on hit balls is high, he continues to hit into the shift. His strikeout rate is 36%. Playing him at 2nd base means Tommy Edman has to move to the outfield at times. Tommy has played excellent defense in the infield and outfield, having not made an error at any position this season(jinx?)
    Carlos Martinez failed to win yesterday but he pitched a great game. 1 run on 4 hits. He's the only Cardinal starter to go 5 innings in all his starts.
    The Cardinal play the Reds beginning on Friday with Kim, Gant and Flaherty the starters. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when Castalannas of the Reds comes up. He was in the middle of a benches clearing altercation in the first series in Cincy. After being off today, the Birds play 17 straight days which has prompted manager, Mike Shildt to use a 6 man rotation. Johnan Oviedo a young prospect is going to be the 6th starter. He pitched very well in long relief a few days ago.

GoRedbirds!
    Great post, very informative. I didn’t realize Oviedo is getting a start. Will be interesting to see if any fireworks occur with the Cardinals and Castellanos. I like Carpenter but he’s really struggling. Shildt has shown him loyalty but eventually if things don’t start changing I’m not sure how much longer he can be put into the lineup. I am pulling for him to turn things around.

Great post, very informative. I didn’t realize Oviedo is getting a start. Will be interesting to see if any fireworks occur with the Cardinals and Castellanos. I like Carpenter but he’s really struggling. Shildt has shown him loyalty but eventually if things don’t start changing I’m not sure how much longer he can be put into the lineup. I am pulling for him to turn things around.
    I'm rooting for Carp as well but unless he changes his approach and begins to go back to hitting the ball to the left side of the field, I don't think he'll be anything other than a bench role player for the rest of his career. Since 2016 his stats have begun to drop. In his best years he was a double machine and his home run rate was ok. In 2016 he hit 21 homers and 2017 he hit 23 homers. His OPS was .885 in 2016 and .835 in 2017. Then in 2018 he struggled for the first part of the year but turned it around in the middle of the year. Then in September he went into a funk again. Overall his hot hitting gave him good numbers; 36 homers and .897 OPS. Since then his numbers have really been bad; 2019= .226 average and .726 OPS, 2020= .186 average and .640 OPS, and 2021 .081 average and .367 OPS. Carp is a below average fielder, a slow runner and his strikeouts are too high. If I remember correctly, he said he changed his swing trying to hit more homeruns and it worked in 2018 for about 1/3 of the season but since then he's really been bad. I love the guy for being a good Cardinal over the years but I believe time has caught up with him, just like it does everyone. Well, maybe not Waino.

GoRedbirds!

I'm rooting for Carp as well but unless he changes his approach and begins to go back to hitting the ball to the left side of the field, I don't think he'll be anything other than a bench role player for the rest of his career. Since 2016 his stats have begun to drop. In his best years he was a double machine and his home run rate was ok. In 2016 he hit 21 homers and 2017 he hit 23 homers. His OPS was .885 in 2016 and .835 in 2017. Then in 2018 he struggled for the first part of the year but turned it around in the middle of the year. Then in September he went into a funk again. Overall his hot hitting gave him good numbers; 36 homers and .897 OPS. Since then his numbers have really been bad; 2019= .226 average and .726 OPS, 2020= .186 average and .640 OPS, and 2021 .081 average and .367 OPS. Carp is a below average fielder, a slow runner and his strikeouts are too high. If I remember correctly, he said he changed his swing trying to hit more homeruns and it worked in 2018 for about 1/3 of the season but since then he's really been bad. I love the guy for being a good Cardinal over the years but I believe time has caught up with him, just like it does everyone. Well, maybe not Waino.

GoRedbirds!
    Yeah you bring up good points and the stats just don’t show much improvement from him. I’d like to see Nolan Gorman get some action in Carp’s spot if he continues to struggle. He is the Cardinals 2nd ranked prospect in their organization.

By the way, whenever I see Max Scherzer pitch I always wonder why the Cardinals didn’t make a stronger pass at him. The guy is a phenomenal talent and likely will be in the Hall of Fame one day. He’s from Chesterfield, Missouri and attended Parkway Central High School before attending Mizzou. When he was a free agent a few years ago before signing with the Nationals I thought it would be a no brainer for the Cardinals to make him a strong offer.

GoRedbirds!
    For a guy who, at first, cultivated his value by way of a good batting eye, drew a lot of walks, and got the resulting high on-base percentage, his value has plummeted to below zero. Yes, I realize, he hits the occasional home run. Otherwise he's striking out or hitting into the shift, and his OBP is terrible. He can't run, and his defense isn't good, no matter where you put him. Yet Shildt-for-brains keeps writing his name on the lineup card (sometimes batting 5th). SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    For a guy who, at first, cultivated his value by way of a good batting eye, drew a lot of walks, and got the resulting high on-base percentage, his value has plummeted to below zero. Yes, I realize, he hits the occasional home run. Otherwise he's striking out or hitting into the shift, and his OBP is terrible. He can't run, and his defense isn't good, no matter where you put him. Yet Shildt-for-brains keeps writing his name on the lineup card (sometimes batting 5th). SMH.
    You are spot on about Carpenter. By playing him at 2nd and putting Tommy Edman in the outfield it deprives the club of letting young outfielders get a chance at the major league level. Tommy has played Gold Glove defense at 2nd and the outfield. I read the other day that he was the only player in the majors that had played X amount of games and not made an error at two positions. It looks like Williams(outfielder) is going to be much better than Carpenter(now) and of course Shildt will insert Bader(CF) and his low .200 average in the lineup when he comes off the injured list. The outfield would be LF= Williams, CF= Bader, and RF= Carlson. That means someone will sit and I sure hope it's Carpenter. Changing his swing trying for the long ball and his refusal to hit against the shift has derailed his career.

GoRedbirds!

On Friday April 23rd, 2021, the St. Louis Cardinals find themselves in last place of the NL Central at 8-10 with 144 games remaining.

The Chicago Cubs have won 3 in a row and the Cincinnati Reds have lost 4 in a row to tie for 2nd place at 9-9. The Milwaukee Brewers sit atop the NL Central at 11-7 after winning 3 games in a row.

I realize there are so many games left but I have always emphasized that each one counts the same in the final standings. In other words, wins and losses in April are no different than wins and losses in September during a pennant race. The Cardinals in recent seasons have found themselves just a bit short or behind in the standings in September. A good way to cure that is to stack up wins early and often and get off to good starts.

This is a big three game series this weekend at Busch Stadium for the Cardinals vs the Reds. The Cardinals really need to take 2 of 3 or sweep. Losing 2 or 3 or being swept would put them at 12-13 losses already in April and set up for what would look like a pretty mediocre start. Hoping the guys play better this weekend.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Something I didn’t think I’d see this season: the Yankees in last place in the AL East. They have the 2nd worst record in the AL at 7-11 and sit 4 games back of the division leading Boston Red Sox.