Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1016

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And the whole thing is a lot more complicated with a potential cross country trip to Seattle - if it was just Boston, Toronto and NY it would be a lot easier. The Yanks had a nice streak going and are really making life difficult.

I believe all games start at roughly 3:05 ET time today so no team has the advantage of knowing the final result of another team's game. I think this is a great idea.

My dad grew up in Brooklyn but rooted for the NY Giants, so I would like to acknowledge that today is the 70th anniversary of Bobby Thomson's home run. He was just shy of his 10th birthday and it was the happiest day of his youth - he would frequently play for me a recording of Russ Hodges screaming "the Giants win the pennant!"
    One of the best calls, ever. I, too, have listened to that radio broadcast a lot!

The shot heard ‘round the world from the Polo Grounds.

Edit: just watched footage of the call on YouTube and it was as awesome as ever. Got chills and a bit misty eyed! Awesome moment in baseball history.

The Giants win the NL West.

The Cardinals will face the Dodgers on Wednesday in Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium at 7:10 pm CT.

Wainwright vs. Scherzer.

Cubs win series in St. Louis.

The contest in game 162 of the 2021 MLB season between the Cubs and Cardinals was called in the top of the 8th due to rain with the Cubs winning 3-2. The Cardinals finish the season 90-72 and head to Los Angeles to face the Dodgers Wednesday night at 7:10 pm CT in the NL Wild Card game at Dodger Stadium. Adam Wainwright gets the start for the Redbirds against Max Scherzer.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

I see my Mariner's did just enough to keep their streak alive. Officially now 20 years and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I see my Mariner's did just enough to keep their streak alive. Officially now 20 years and counting.
    *Disappointed face*

2021 MLB Postseason bracket is set

AL

1. Rays vs 4. Red Sox / 5. Yankees wild card game winner in one ALDS.

2. Astros vs 3. White Sox in the other ALDS

NL

1. Giants vs 4. Dodgers / 5. Cardinals wild card game winner in one NLDS.

2. Brewers vs 3. Braves in the other NLDS

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    AL

1. Rays vs 4. Red Sox / 5. Yankees wild card game winner in one ALDS.

2. Astros vs 3. White Sox in the other ALDS

NL

1. Giants vs 4. Dodgers / 5. Cardinals wild card game winner in one NLDS.

2. Brewers vs 3. Braves in the other NLDS
    Those should be two fun and entertaining wild card games!

So what is everyone's prediction? I'll say Giants over Rays for the title and hope I'm wrong with my Braves making a surprise run to win for the first time since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    There is something fitting about every team with something to play for on Sunday winning except for the Mariners.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Love this time of year especially when I have a team in the fight. I don’t want to predict for fear of jinxing my team but will only repeat a poem (a quatrain I guess) my dad submitted to his high school year back way back in the day which formed my allegiances for a life time.
    Blue Goose and war paint
    A-tisket, a-tasket
    For the Yankees a hit
    For Duke a basket.

Post Season Baseball!

Here are playoff teams record for last 10 games and season record against .500 teams:

NL
    1) LA Dodgers> 9-1(won 7 in a row). Against .500= 35-27
    2) SF Giants> 8-2> Against .500= 35-28
    3) ATL Braves> 8-2> Against .500=31-37
    4) STL Cardinals> 7-3> Against .500= 32-36
    5) Milwaukee Brewers> 4-6(lost 4 in a row)> Against .500= 32-36

AL
    1) Tampa Rays> 7-3> Against .500= 48-42
    2) NY Yankees> 7-3> Against .500= 48-43
    3) Chi White Sox> 7-3> Against .500= 27-29
    4) Boston Red Sox> 5-5> Against .500= 46-48
    5) Houston Astros> 4-6> Against .500= 45-32

The season record against .500 teams probably tell more about a team than the last 10 games. The Brewers, Astros, White Sox and Rays have had the luxury of resting players and experimenting with lineups and that may have had something to do with their records over the last 10 games. However the Dodgers, Giants, Yankees and Red Sox seasons came down to the last couple of days. The Braves and Cardinals seasons went down to the last 2 weeks of the season. Going with the success against the better teams seems to indicate the Astros were the better team and they play in the AL West where Seattle and Oakland were contenders for most of the season. But the Rays and Yankees probably played in the best division in baseball with only Baltimore being a bad team. Then the Giants and Dodgers had the two best records in baseball. As it played out, the Orioles and Diamondbacks tied for the worst records in baseball. Both were 52-110. Other 100 loss teams: Texas 60-102 and Pirates 61-101.

It looks like the Dodgers have the best starting pitching and a very good lineup. Tre Turner would get my vote for MVP and either Mad Max, Buehler or one of the Brewers starters would get the NL Cy Young award. In the American League, I think the Astros have the best hitting lineup but I don't know about their starters. Of course the Bronx Bombers have a good hitting lineup as well.

If the playoffs are as exciting as the regular season, we're in for some great Post Season baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Here are playoff teams record for last 10 games and season record against .500 teams:

NL
    1) LA Dodgers> 9-1(won 7 in a row). Against .500= 35-27
    2) SF Giants> 8-2> Against .500= 35-28
    3) ATL Braves> 8-2> Against .500=31-37
    4) STL Cardinals> 7-3> Against .500= 32-36
    5) Milwaukee Brewers> 4-6(lost 4 in a row)> Against .500= 32-36

AL
    1) Tampa Rays> 7-3> Against .500= 48-42
    2) NY Yankees> 7-3> Against .500= 48-43
    3) Chi White Sox> 7-3> Against .500= 27-29
    4) Boston Red Sox> 5-5> Against .500= 46-48
    5) Houston Astros> 4-6> Against .500= 45-32

The season record against .500 teams probably tell more about a team than the last 10 games. The Brewers, Astros, White Sox and Rays have had the luxury of resting players and experimenting with lineups and that may have had something to do with their records over the last 10 games. However the Dodgers, Giants, Yankees and Red Sox seasons came down to the last couple of days. The Braves and Cardinals seasons went down to the last 2 weeks of the season. Going with the success against the better teams seems to indicate the Astros were the better team and they play in the AL West where Seattle and Oakland were contenders for most of the season. But the Rays and Yankees probably played in the best division in baseball with only Baltimore being a bad team. Then the Giants and Dodgers had the two best records in baseball. As it played out, the Orioles and Diamondbacks tied for the worst records in baseball. Both were 52-110. Other 100 loss teams: Texas 60-102 and Pirates 61-101.

It looks like the Dodgers have the best starting pitching and a very good lineup. Tre Turner would get my vote for MVP and either Mad Max, Buehler or one of the Brewers starters would get the NL Cy Young award. In the American League, I think the Astros have the best hitting lineup but I don't know about their starters. Of course the Bronx Bombers have a good hitting lineup as well.

If the playoffs are as exciting as the regular season, we're in for some great Post Season baseball.
    Great recap. The AL wild card game tomorrow (Yankees at Red Sox) should be electric! Then, the Cardinals will have their hands full with Mad Max Scherzer Wednesday night at Chavez Ravine. They’ll have Adam Wainwright on the hill so it could be a pitcher’s duel! I saw Dodgers first basemen Max Muncy left their game with an arm injury yesterday. He is doubtful for Wednesday’s game. Will Albert Pujols start at 1B for the Dodgers vs the Cardinals?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Great recap. The AL wild card game tomorrow (Yankees at Red Sox) should be electric! Then, the Cardinals will have their hands full with Mad Max Scherzer Wednesday night at Chavez Ravine. They’ll have Adam Wainwright on the hill so it could be a pitcher’s duel! I saw Dodgers first basemen Max Muncy left their game with an arm injury yesterday. He is doubtful for Wednesday’s game. Will Albert Pujols start at 1B for the Dodgers vs the Cardinals?
    I saw an article this morning discussing the possibilities on who will take Muncy's spot in the lineup. The article thinks it will be Matt Beaty at first to keep Bellinger in CF. They thought this would be the best defense and put more lefty hitters in the lineup but I would not be surprised to see Albert at first base. He's a playoff winner even at his advance age.

GO CARDINALS

Can't help it.. go giants.. beat the dodgers

Hoping for a Braves / Cardinals NL Championship series

Congrats to the Atlanta Braves who I think has a terrific organization and owner. Very unlike the terrible Ted Turner days...
    Ah yes, that wonderful corporate media conglomerate headquartered 1400 miles from the stadium. What a gem s/he is.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    The Mets “decline the option” on manager Luis Rojas. Meaning, they’ve fired him. If/when they hire a general manager who will actually stay with the team, rather than be fired for non-baseball reasons, that new person will likely hire the new manager.

Before the focus rightly and entirely shifts from the regular season to the playoffs, I will share one last 2021 Padres link for anyone out there considering Jayce Tingler’s imminent firing: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...s-padres-daily

Kevin Acee, the Padres beat reporter for the San Diego Union Tribune, shares a bit about how much it sucks to see people who care so much about their job getting fired.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Before the focus rightly and entirely shifts from the regular season to the playoffs, I will share one last 2021 Padres link for anyone out there considering Jayce Tingler’s imminent firing: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...s-padres-daily

Kevin Acee, the Padres beat reporter for the San Diego Union Tribune, shares a bit about how much it sucks to see people who care so much about their job getting fired.
    Thanks for sharing.

Hate the Dodgers beating the Cards .. go Braves

St. Louis Cardinals fire Mike Shildt today.

President of Operations, John Mozeliak announced today that Mike Shildt has been fired, saying it was over philosophical difference with upper management. He said that tension between Shildt and hitting coach, Jeff Albert wasn't the only reason for the firing. The team will look at internal options while searching for the new manager. The Cards were 259-199(.559 winning percentage) under Shildt. Third base coach, Stubby Clapp and bench coach, Oliver Marmol will be in consideration for the managerial post.

I saw that Cameron had a good post on the firing in the MLB playoff thread but thought I would not clutter up that thread.

Third base coach, Stubby Clapp
    +1 for the old-timey name!

President of Operations, John Mozeliak announced today that Mike Shildt has been fired, saying it was over philosophical difference with upper management. He said that tension between Shildt and hitting coach, Jeff Albert wasn't the only reason for the firing. The team will look at internal options while searching for the new manager. The Cards were 259-199(.559 winning percentage) under Shildt. Third base coach, Stubby Clapp and bench coach, Oliver Marmol will be in consideration for the managerial post.

I saw that Cameron had a good post on the firing in the MLB playoff thread but thought I would not clutter up that thread.
    Apparently the team asked permission to announce the firing ASAP (usually MLB has a moratorium on moves during the rounds of the playoffs). So I wonder if Schildt said something in an email that he REALLY shouldn’t have, and the Cards are trying to get out in front of the story. Otherwise it does feel a bit strange timing (especially on the heels of a magical end to the regular season as they started to get healthy) and circumstances (requesting immediate announcement).