Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I respect the Dodgers. They have a heck of a club. The NL West is top heavy to me though. Two teams above .500 and they’re quite above that mark. Those two teams contribute heavily to the good record of the division. After that, I see no really good teams. The Friars fell apart like a cheap suit the past month, month and a half. Like you said, in a one game series, anyone can win. Whoever gets the NL’s first wild card spot could very well be one and done in the postseason vs the 2nd wild card team.
    Feeling pretty good riding that win streak, huh?

Dear lord... please let this happen!!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Feeling pretty good riding that win streak, huh?
    Lol, no offense buddy, I respect the heck out of the Friars. Lots of talent on that club but it seems to me they have something going on with club morale and internal problems. The way their pitching coach got canned and then the way they’ve played down the stretch - they’re too good on paper to play like that. Something isn’t adding up, I have got to think the skipper has lost morale of the ship and there’s something going on internally.

And trust me, I know how it is. The last season under Mike Matheny in St. Louis was sort of similar!

Lol, no offense buddy, I respect the heck out of the Friars. Lots of talent on that club but it seems to me they have something going on with club morale and internal problems. The way their pitching coach got canned and then the way they’ve played down the stretch - they’re too good on paper to play like that. Something isn’t adding up, I have got to think the skipper has lost morale of the ship and there’s something going on internally.

And trust me, I know how it is. The last season under Mike Matheny in St. Louis was sort of similar!
    As a Padre fan since '71 , I agree. Jayce Tingler lost the locker room in August. I don't know if it was firing the pitching coach or not. But the timing is the same. I had no problem with them firing the pitching coach,, the staff was on life support by the end of July. The pitching still got worse though, so maybe he was holding it together with duct tape. Losing Matt Scherzer to the Dodgers , after being reported they were close to a deal, really hurt morale. Not picking up any starting pitching by the trade deadline hurt.

The bottom line though was , on day 1 the Padres had enough starting pitching to win. And they did , but too much of the starting pitching couldn't get past the 3 rd inning.
    Tingler may not be ready for the major leagues.
    "On Paper" teams don't win championships ..

Congrats to the Cards for the season ending run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    As a Padre fan since '71 , I agree. Jayce Tingler lost the locker room in August. I don't know if it was firing the pitching coach or not. But the timing is the same. I had no problem with them firing the pitching coach,, the staff was on life support by the end of July. The pitching still got worse though, so maybe he was holding it together with duct tape. Losing Matt Scherzer to the Dodgers , after being reported they were close to a deal, really hurt morale. Not picking up any starting pitching by the trade deadline hurt.

The bottom line though was , on day 1 the Padres had enough starting pitching to win. And they did , but too much of the starting pitching couldn't get past the 3 rd inning.
    Tingler may not be ready for the major leagues.
    "On Paper" teams don't win championships ..

Congrats to the Cards for the season ending run.
    Before the season began, I thought the NL West would go down to the wire between the Dodgers and Padres. I thought the Padres starters would be in the same class as the Dodger staff but man, was I wrong. Here was that rotation. 1) Blake Snell 2) Yu Darvish 3) Dinelson Lamet 4) Joe Musgrove 5) and one of: Chris Paddack, MacKenzie Gore, Adrian Morejon or Ryan Weathers. Snell and Darvish could easily be #1s on many major league staffs( based on prior performance). Joe Musgrove a hometown guy proved his ability with the first no hitter in SD history and Lamet had a good season in 2020 with the Padres. However injuries and poor performance proved most people wrong, including me. The Padres signing of over-the-hill, Jake Arrieta in August proved how much they needed starting pitching.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Before the season began, I thought the NL West would go down to the wire between the Dodgers and Padres. I thought the Padres starters would be in the same class as the Dodger staff but man, was I wrong. Here was that rotation. 1) Blake Snell 2) Yu Darvish 3) Dinelson Lamet 4) Joe Musgrove 5) and one of: Chris Paddack, MacKenzie Gore, Adrian Morejon or Ryan Weathers. Snell and Darvish could easily be #1s on many major league staffs( based on prior performance). Joe Musgrove a hometown guy proved his ability with the first no hitter in SD history and Lamet had a good season in 2020 with the Padres. However injuries and poor performance proved most people wrong, including me. The Padres signing of over-the-hill, Jake Arrieta in August proved how much they needed starting pitching.
    EXACTLY !!!!

But I've truly enjoyed the season. I don't have melt downs over my Padres

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    EXACTLY !!!!

But I've truly enjoyed the season. I don't have melt downs over my Padres
    Like I say, wait until next year.

Braves beat Phillies 2-1 in the opener of their 3 game series. Braves now 4 up in the loss column with 6 games to play (only 5 games if the Braves have more than a 1 game lead). The Phillies kinda need to win out the rest of the season to have a chance at this point.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

AL wild card getting real interesting.

Yankees gave themselves some breathing room beating the Jays last night.

Second spot is the Sox with the Mariners a half game back (1 in the loss column) and the Jays a full game back of the Sox.

The crazy thing is that the Orioles of all teams will play a huge role as they are playing the Red Sox now (beat them last night) and the Jays to end the season.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post

Second spot is the Sox with the Mariners a half game back (1 in the loss column) and the Jays a full game back of the Sox.

The crazy thing is that the Orioles of all teams will play a huge role as they are playing the Red Sox now (beat them last night) and the Jays to end the season.
    As a Yankees fan I am now an Orioles fan for the next week. Nice win by the O’s last night.

Stanton is on a real tear. Hopefully he can keep it up - the Yanks have found the right time to get hot again.

Cardinals win 17th straight, clinch playoff spot

The Cardinals defeated the Brewers last night 6-2 at Busch Stadium. It was the 17th consecutive win for the Redbirds and improved their record to 88-69. More importantly, it clinched the NL’s 2nd wild card spot. The Redbirds will be in the 2021 MLB postseason. Only 13 teams in MLB history have had winning streaks longer than 17. Only two of those came after 1953. Five of them happened in the 1800's.

Adam Wainwright pitched fantastically to earn his 17th win of the season. He threw 6 IP, allowing 7 hits, 2 ER, walked 2, and struck out 4. Nolan Arenado smashed his 34th HR of the season and Dylan Carlson added his 16th.

The Redbirds will go for the series win tonight at Busch Stadium at 6:45 pm CT. Miles Mikolas takes the hill for the Cardinals opposite Adrian Houser.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post

Wait, what?!? How is this possible? The Mariners haven't had to make plans for October in almost 20 years. The entire team counts on being home as early as possible every year. I say they find a way to throw a game or two just to keep the streak alive. I mean, they currently lead all four major sports for the longest stretch without post season play.

Why wreck their only claim to something exceptional?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Braves beat Phillies 2-1 in the opener of their 3 game series. Braves now 4 up in the loss column with 6 games to play (only 5 games if the Braves have more than a 1 game lead). The Phillies kinda need to win out the rest of the season to have a chance at this point.
    Stick a fork in the Phils, they are done.

Braves win game 2 of the series 7-2. The Braves have now clinched at least a tie for the division title. All they need to do is win 1 of the 5 remaining games on the schedule. If they win 1 of the next 4, they will avoid playing that extra game that was cancelled earlier this month. Setting up their rotation will be key for the Braves in the post-season.

The Brew Crew brought an end to the Cardinals 17 game win streak tonight, 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Brew Crew brought an end to the Cardinals 17 game win streak tonight, 4-0.
    I was hoping to see the Cardinals get to 90 wins but it's probably not going to happen. They currently have 88 wins but manager Mike Shildt has decided to rest some of his players to get ready for the 1 game playoff. Last night there were 5 regular players out of the lineup. He's also going to skip Adam Wainwright's last start so he can pitch the wild card game. He's going to use Jack Flaherty and Dakota Hudson in some fashion in these last 4 games to see what they have.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I was hoping to see the Cardinals get to 90 wins but it's probably not going to happen. They currently have 88 wins but manager Mike Shildt has decided to rest some of his players to get ready for the 1 game playoff. Last night there were 5 regular players out of the lineup. He's also going to skip Adam Wainwright's last start so he can pitch the wild card game. He's going to use Jack Flaherty and Dakota Hudson in some fashion in these last 4 games to see what they have.

GoRedbirds!
    It looks like manager Mike Shildt is focused on the playoffs, first and foremost, the wild card “play-in” game out west in the golden state versus either the Giants or Dodgers. Starters Yadier Molina, Nolan Arenado, Tyler O’Neill, and Tommy Edman were given the night off last night. They may have been a bit hungover from the celebration Tuesday night . In any event, it stinks to see the winning streak come to an end but what an impressive streak it was, and a historic one! The Cardinals can still win the series today at 12:15 pm CT as JA Happ takes the hill opposite Brett Anderson. It will be interesting to see what lineup Mike Shildt uses today and this weekend versus the Cubs as the Cardinals gear up for a trip out west next Wednesday for an important wild card game.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Devin Williams likely to miss Brewers' postseason run due to punching wall

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...r-punched-wall

Milwaukee will likely be without top setup reliever Devin Williams for the playoffs after the right-hander broke his pitching hand punching a wall after having a few drinks following Sunday's game that clinched the National League Central division title for the Brewers.

President of baseball operations David Stearns told reporters Williams will undergo surgery to put a plate in his hand to repair the fracture and that the injury will likely "keep him out for the remainder of the season."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...r-punched-wall

Milwaukee will likely be without top setup reliever Devin Williams for the playoffs after the right-hander broke his pitching hand punching a wall after having a few drinks following Sunday's game that clinched the National League Central division title for the Brewers.

President of baseball operations David Stearns told reporters Williams will undergo surgery to put a plate in his hand to repair the fracture and that the injury will likely "keep him out for the remainder of the season."

Poor planning on Devin's part. I've punched a good many walls in my day and never had an injury.

The first rule of wall punching is to choose the right wall.

bouncy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Poor planning on Devin's part. I've punched a good many walls in my day and never had an injury.

The first rule of wall punching is to choose the right wall.

bouncy.jpg
    Yeah and he used the wrong paw too. Gotta punch things with your glove hand!

Yeah and he used the wrong paw too. Gotta punch things with your glove hand!
    That was one of the lessons they talked about in that documentary film, Bull Durham.