Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

39-year old Adam Wainwright threw a 2 hit CG with 7 Ks last night for the Cardinals in Pittsburgh on 88 pitches. He also was 2-4 at the plate with a double and an RBI. The Cardinals won 4-0 to take the series and improve to 57-56. Wainwright is now 11-6 with a 3.27 era this season in 148.2 IP. The 11 wins are tied for 4th most in the MLB and the 148.2 IP are second most in the MLB. He turns 40 on August 30th.

The Cardinals go for the sweep today at 11:35 AM CT in Pittsburgh. Wade LeBlanc takes the mound for the Cardinals opposite JT Brubaker.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

It sounds like I "whine " about my Padres falling , now , 8 games back with 46 games to go.

In reality I think we still have a good chance of making the playoffs. 15 games above .500 . 4th best record in the National League , but only 3rd best in the NL west.
    I want to make the playoffs, but going to the World Series is the goal. Beating the dodgers is the goal. Beating the giants is the goal. Then actually winning the World Series.
    My starting pitching still has me concerned. Shut out last night 7-0 .
    The dog days of August are here.

The Braves Ozzie Albies hit a walk off 3 run home run in the bottom of the 11th last night to beat the Reds for their 7th win in 8 games. The Phillies lost to the Dodgers as well and we now have a tie atop the NL East. The Braves have suffered through a plethora of injuries and have still somehow found a way to fight back. I realize in any other division they would still be far behind but still it is satisfying as a fan to see your team keep fighting and not give up. They continue to healthier and their schedule is favorable down the stretch. I'm not expecting a deep run even if they make the playoffs but if you get hot at the right time you never know.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

How sweep it is

The Cardinals completed a 3-game sweep of the Pirates in Pittsburgh today. The final score was 7-6. The Cardinals won their 3rd in a row to improve to 58-56. The Pirates lost their 8th in a row to fall to 41-74.

The Cardinals got HRs from Paul DeJong (his 16th of the season) and Lars Nootbaar (his first career HR). Alex Reyes picked up his 27th save of the season which is 2nd most in the MLB.

The Cardinals will travel to Kansas City where tomorrow they’ll start a 3-game series at the Royals. The Cardinals will start Jack Flaherty on the hill. He’s retuning from an oblique injury. He is 8-1 with a 2.90 era this season. It is his first start since May 31st. He will be opposed by Mike Minor (Vandy product, originally a Braves prospect) of the Royals.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Field of Dreams Game

Currently being played in Dyersville, Iowa. Yankees and White Sox. MLB built a stadium across the cornfield from the field the movie was filmed on.

Kevin Costner is there. It’s on Fox with John Smoltz and Joe Buck announcing. So cool!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Currently being played in Dyersville, Iowa. Yankees and White Sox. MLB built a stadium across the cornfield from the field the movie was filmed on.

Kevin Costner is there. It’s on Fox with John Smoltz and Joe Buck announcing. So cool!
    I really want to like it, but Fox made the pregame so ridiculously over he top, it’s basically the over-produced opposite of the movie’s baseball purity.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I really want to like it, but Fox made the pregame so ridiculously over he top, it’s basically the over-produced opposite of the movie’s baseball purity.
    Yeah, they yupped it up for sure. Aside from that, the field looks amazing to me. The uniforms are neat, too. MLB, who I have been critical of at times, really did a cool thing putting this together in my opinion. And I really like watching Lance Lynn pitch and the White Sox play. He looks like the AL Cy Young winner right now to me and the White Sox look primed for a long run in October. (Although Lynn just gave up a 3-run HR into the corn field by Aaron Judge.

Meanwhile the Tigers have somehow nudged their way into second place (for the time being).

NL East Race

One entertaining divisional pennant race I’m keeping a close eye on is the NL East (I actually grew up a HUGE Braves fan).

The Mets swept a DH from the Nats last night and the Phillies beat the Dodgers. The Braves lost to the Reds.

We’ll enter play on August 13 with the Phillies 0.5 games up on the Mets and 1 game up on the Braves. That three team race looks to be the closest and potentially most entertaining in all of the big leagues. And I would be happy to see any team take it. Each team has some big boppers and good arms. The Braves, as others have mentioned, have done this with a LOT of guys on the shelf, most notably Acuña and Soroka among many others. The Mets are still missing Syndergaard, Lindor, and deGrom among a couple others. The Phillies are missing Eflin, Hoskins, and a few others. I still think the NL goes through the golden state this year, but I’m heating up to the idea that the Brewers could make a long run in October. Their 70 current wins are 2nd most in the majors to only the Giants’ 74. I really like their pitching staff and Craig Counsell seems to know how to manage their arms and which buttons to press regarding pitching decisions and lineup management. He was a heck of a college player at Notre Dame and won a World Series twice as a player, in 1997 with the Marlins and in 2001 with the Diamondbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Meanwhile the Tigers have somehow nudged their way into second place (for the time being).
    While I'd love to get my hopes up for the Tigers, but they're not going to catch the White Sox, and they're still far out of a wild card spot too.

On top of that, of late, they're beating up on either even-worse teams (Baltimore, Texas, Minnesota) or floundering teams (my 2nd fav, the Red Sox). Not to say that the future doesn't look better, but I don't think that the Tiger Train arrives this year.

As Sir Charles said, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it."

Field of Dreams game

Regarding last night's Field of Dreams game:

Based on overnight ratings per sources — final numbers out later — FOX is looking at its best metered market rating (the rating for the largest media markets/cities in the U.S.) for an MLB regular season game since 2005.

Courtesy Richard Dietsch’s official Twitter account @richarddietsch

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    While I'd love to get my hopes up for the Tigers... I don't think that the Tiger Train arrives this year.
    No, you're right but can we still sing the song? "We're all behind our baseball team..."
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Regarding last night's Field of Dreams game:

Based on overnight ratings per sources — final numbers out later — FOX is looking at its best metered market rating (the rating for the largest media markets/cities in the U.S.) for an MLB regular season game since 2005.

Courtesy Richard Dietsch’s official Twitter account @richarddietsch
    I would imagine MLB will do one of these a year like the NHL does their outdoor game. Would also bet some of the storied franchises like Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants will be on the docket soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I would imagine MLB will do one of these a year like the NHL does their outdoor game. Would also bet some of the storied franchises like Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants will be on the docket soon.
    I agree. I was discussing this with a friend today. I think they’ll do this perennially like NHL’s Winter Classic outdoor game. It was really enjoyable to watch and it ended with a walkoff HR into the cornfield from Tim Anderson of the White Sox. It was a great night and baseball game.

I agree. I was discussing this with a friend today. I think they’ll do this perennially like NHL’s Winter Classic outdoor game. It was really enjoyable to watch and it ended with a walkoff HR into the cornfield from Tim Anderson of the White Sox. It was a great night and baseball game.
    I hope they announce the participants a year in advance so fans of the two teams can plan and attend.

Flaherty strong 6 innings. Arenado, O’Neill and Nootbarr homer. Can the Cards go on a run? Hoping….

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Flaherty strong 6 innings. Arenado, O’Neill and Nootbarr homer. Can the Cards go on a run? Hoping….
    4 wins in a row for the Redbirds after beating the Royals 6-0 in Kansas City last night. The Redbirds improved to 59-56 and 5.5 GB for a wild card spot with 47 games remaining. Like you mentioned, Arenado smacked his 23rd HR of the season and Nootbaar clubbed his 2nd HR. 6 shutout innings from Flaherty with only 2 hits allowed and 5 Ks. He’s now 9-1 with a 2.65 era this season. It was good to see him back.

Tonight the Cardinals will go for the series win in Kansas City with Jon Lester on the mound opposite Brad Keller at 6:10 pm CT.

Let’s Go Redbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    No, you're right but can we still sing the song? "We're all behind our baseball team..."
    I was never motivated to learn my team's songs, including Duke's. Just one of my shortcomings. Maybe if I attended games with the right people, I'd have joined in, but no one around me ever knew the words to any of the fight songs.

Getting deeper for Trevor Bauer:

https://apple.news/AMgZeS8lHQb2jF_kywaX73g

Rogue and I mourned another Padres loss to the lowly DBacks. SD can’t stay hot on offense and the starting pitching can’t stay on the mound. The Red as closing in on the wild card . . .
    Last edited by cato; 08-14-2021 at 03:15 PM.