Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep, arms race in the NL West. The Padres and Giants are likely to try to counter. The rest of the NL feels like an also-ran this year.
    Yep, I like the Brewers this year but still think they cannot compete with the Giants, Padres, or Dodgers in the playoffs. Same with the Mets. The NL goes thru the golden state this year …

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    BREAKING: The Dodgers are finalizing a deal to acquire star right-hander Max Scherzer and star shortstop Trea Turner from the Washington Nationals for a massive prospect haul, sources tell ESPN. The blockbuster of blockbusters is going to happen.

Courtesy Jeff Passan’s official Twitter account @JeffPassan

The 2020 World Series champions are reloading their arsenal.

The 2019 World Series champions are having a breakup of the band …
    Much like the Cubs, the Nats, who have been perennial contenders since ~2012, are finally at the end of their window. They have been unable/unwilling to keep most of their big time free agents, they have depleted the farm system to win their WS, and the rest of their core has aged to the point that they are now looking at a sizeable rebuild. They have a few minor pending free agents to move (Hand, Hudson, Gomes, Harrison), but Scherzer is their biggest chip. Hate to see him go as he's the best player in franchise history (WS title, 2 CYs, 2 no hitters, 20k game) but they are toast this year and need to get something in return. Adding Turner to the mix will break my kids hearts (mine too) so I hate to see them do it, especially after ownership said they couldn't pay Harper because they were saving for Rendon, then couldn't pay Rendon since they had to pay Trea and Soto, and now are moving on from Trea since they couldn't work out a deal (and there is no way they sign Soto long term either). Frustrating a fan. Trea is a batting title/gold glove caliber every day player that I would have thought they could build around, but alas seems like he is gone. Hope the prospect haul they get is worth it and ready in 2-3 years to maximize Soto's swansong with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Much like the Cubs, the Nats, who have been perennial contenders since ~2012, are finally at the end of their window. They have been unable/unwilling to keep most of their big time free agents, they have depleted the farm system to win their WS, and the rest of their core has aged to the point that they are now looking at a sizeable rebuild. They have a few minor pending free agents to move (Hand, Hudson, Gomes, Harrison), but Scherzer is their biggest chip. Hate to see him go as he's the best player in franchise history (WS title, 2 CYs, 2 no hitters, 20k game) but they are toast this year and need to get something in return. Adding Turner to the mix will break my kids hearts (mine too) so I hate to see them do it, especially after ownership said they couldn't pay Harper because they were saving for Rendon, then couldn't pay Rendon since they had to pay Trea and Soto, and now are moving on from Trea since they couldn't work out a deal (and there is no way they sign Soto long term either). Frustrating a fan. Trea is a batting title/gold glove caliber every day player that I would have thought they could build around, but alas seems like he is gone. Hope the prospect haul they get is worth it and ready in 2-3 years to maximize Soto's swansong with the team.
    Should have added Kyle Schwarber to my list of Nats on the move (although I thought he wasn’t expected back from injury until late August) - he’s headed to Boston

As the billion dollar Yankees plot to add more "stars," they are humiliated by the pawn shop Rays 14-0...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As the billion dollar Yankees plot to add more "stars," they are humiliated by the pawn shop Rays 14-0...
    Yankees fan here who is not generally a fan of the history of buying the best players (I grew up in the 80s when that was consistently a nightmare, then when it stopped and they developed prospects in house in the 90s the Yanks finally got good). I'm not sure how I feel about these trades. But it should be noted that the Rangers and Cubs are largely paying the salaries of the players they are sending to the Yanks, so this was not really a case of buying talent.

But more importantly, to your point, if Cole pitches like he did yesterday, these trades are moot.

Yep, I like the Brewers this year but still think they cannot compete with the Giants, Padres, or Dodgers in the playoffs. Same with the Mets. The NL goes thru the golden state this year …
    Agree, with the caveat that the Brewers have 3 dominant starters and an elite closer, which gives them a puncher's chance against anyone in a 5 or 7 game series. Willy Adames was a great pickup for them, too, although their offense is still below average overall, especially for a playoff squad.

Max is actually my favorite pitcher in the MLB currently and one of my favorite players all-time. His near psychopathic aggression and passion while pitching is marvelous to watch. I don’t know of a better competitor in any sport. Trea Turner is an absolute stud. I feel you on having to explain to your young son what happened with the trade. Many Cubs fans will likely have to do that about Rizzo and others soon. It is part of the game although an ugly part for the younger fans. The Nats window appears to be closing. The 2019 run was a once in a lifetime type run that they had. They’ll maybe win another World Series in my lifetime but to win the wild card game in the fashion they did vs Milwaukee, sweep thru the NLCS over my Cardinals, then win at Houston in game 7 was epic. Zimmerman is likely done soon. They’ll look drastically different in 2022 and beyond, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Agree, with the caveat that the Brewers have 3 dominant starters and an elite closer, which gives them a puncher's chance against anyone in a 5 or 7 game series. Willy Adames was a great pickup for them, too, although their offense is still below average overall, especially for a playoff squad.
    Yes I agree. The Brewers could give anyone a series with that pitching. I will pull for them since I’m an NL Central guy but it is among the weakest divisions in baseball this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yankees fan here who is not generally a fan of the history of buying the best players (I grew up in the 80s when that was consistently a nightmare, then when it stopped and they developed prospects in house in the 90s the Yanks finally got good). I'm not sure how I feel about these trades. But it should be noted that the Rangers and Cubs are largely paying the salaries of the players they are sending to the Yanks, so this was not really a case of buying talent.

But more importantly, to your point, if Cole pitches like he did yesterday, these trades are moot.
    heavy insinuations this morning from ESPN radio (I was on the way to the dump) that Cole misses the traction goo.

BREAKING: The Dodgers are finalizing a deal to acquire star right-hander Max Scherzer and star shortstop Trea Turner from the Washington Nationals for a massive prospect haul, sources tell ESPN. The blockbuster of blockbusters is going to happen.

Courtesy Jeff Passan’s official Twitter account @JeffPassan

The 2020 World Series champions are reloading their arsenal.

The 2019 World Series champions are having a breakup of the band …
    The Scherzer acquisition is further proof, as if any was needed, that Trevor Bauer will never throw another pitch for the Dodgers.

The Chicago White Sox are finalizing a deal to acquire closer Craig Kimbrel from the Chicago Cubs, sources tell ESPN.

According to Jeff Passan’s official Twitter account @JeffPassan.

Craig may able to keep his same residence and take a cab from his former employer to his new employer in this trade.

Breaking: The San Francisco Giants are making a trade for Kris Bryant, per @JeffPassan.

The New York Mets are finalizing a trade to acquire shortstop Javier Baez from the Chicago Cubs, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Also heading to New York is right-hander Trevor Williams, according to multiple reports.

The deal is pending medicals, per sources. The compensation going to the Cubs is unknown at this time.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...bs-javier-baez

The St. Louis Cardinals have acquired LHP J.A. Happ and cash considerations from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for RHP John Gant and minor league LHP Evan Sisk.

Now hearing the Cardinals have acquired Jon Lester.

Two veteran LHP added to their arsenal today.

Breaking: Cubs OF Jake Marisnick is headed to the Padres, a source told @JeffPassan.

Do other Native American sports team mascots follow suit now? The Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Braves, etc?
    I think it's a matter of time for the Chiefs and Braves. Putting aside the headdress logo for the Chicago hockey team, this name arguably is a bit different, since Black Hawk was an individual for whom the team was named.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    heavy insinuations this morning from ESPN radio (I was on the way to the dump) that Cole misses the traction goo.
    AFTER the goop hysteria and the threat of suspension started, Cole pitched a complete game, 12-K shutout of the Houston Cheaters (not to be confused with those other cheaters). In his next start, Cole went 6 innings and struck out 11 Red Sox, allowing one run.

Breaking: Cubs OF Jake Marisnick is headed to the Padres, a source told @JeffPassan.
    Are they going to be able to find 18 guys to play in tonight’s Cubs/Nats game?

I think they will have enough players, but they may need name tags in the dugouts.

Hey, it can be a joke and still be true.

That is a good question. Both teams were in the mix for the busiest organizations around the trade deadline. I am interested to see the hauls each team got. Their minor leagues ought to be stacked the next few seasons with prospects.