Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To be fair, it's not a headline you could have published in recent years...
    With all due respect, since Edgar Martinez retired, the Mariners have posted a grand total of five seasons (out of 16 completed seasons since 2004) with a winning record, the best of which was a whopping .549 winning percentage (89-73). During that time, they have made the playoffs zero times, a streak that goes back 14 years and is the longest of any team in the four major sports. Since the Nats had their great run in 2019, the Ms are now the sole remaining franchise never to have even appeared in a World Series.

Except for one dismal 101-loss season, they've rarely actually been awful, either, including this year. They've just been mired in mediocrity with a management structure that really doesn't have a clue what they're doing. The headline is really a bit unfair, but the article is spot-on with this observation:

Before Before winning a world series, a pennant, a division, hell, even a wild card spot, the Mariners have to just try. Not just the players. The organization has to just try.
    I want to like them and follow them. I am having a hard time, with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    With all due respect, since Edgar Martinez retired, the Mariners have posted a grand total of five seasons (out of 16 completed seasons since 2004) with a winning record, the best of which was a whopping .549 winning percentage (89-73). During that time, they have made the playoffs zero times, a streak that goes back 14 years and is the longest of any team in the four major sports. Since the Nats had their great run in 2019, the Ms are now the sole remaining franchise never to have even appeared in a World Series.

Except for one dismal 101-loss season, they've rarely actually been awful, either, including this year. They've just been mired in mediocrity with a management structure that really doesn't have a clue what they're doing. The headline is really a bit unfair, but the article is spot-on with this observation:

I want to like them and follow them. I am having a hard time, with that.
    I love the M's and would be delighted to see them get back to relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I love the M's and would be delighted to see them get back to relevance.
    Well, that's certainly something I won't dispute!

BTW, if you're doing the math at home, the 14-year, no-playoffs streak was not correct, of course. It's a 19-year streak. Last playoffs were 2001. Not sure what my fingers were doing there, but they clearly were not actually connected to my lonely brain cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well, that's certainly something I won't dispute!

BTW, if you're doing the math at home, the 14-year, no-playoffs streak was not correct, of course. It's a 19-year streak. Last playoffs were 2001. Not sure what my fingers were doing there, but they clearly were not actually connected to my lonely brain cell.
    Are the Mariners considered a small market team? I wouldn't think so but I've never been to Seattle. Sometimes it takes a lucky hit on a great GM that has ownership that will invest in building a strong organization.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Are the Mariners considered a small market team? I wouldn't think so but I've never been to Seattle. Sometimes it takes a lucky hit on a great GM that has ownership that will invest in building a strong organization.
    Seattle LOVES their sports. Marketwise, Seattle is certainly a large metropolitan area. I'd guess ranking about 15-20. BTW, ask a Seattle resident how they feel about the OKC Thunder and then back away because you will get an earful for about 45 minutes.

How sweep it is!

The good guys sporting the Birds on the Bat walked off on the Miami Marlins for the 2nd straight game today at Busch Stadium to sweep a 3 game series over the NL East foe. Yadier Molina hit an RBI single in the bottom of the 9th as the St. Louis Cardinals won the game 1-0. Yadi is now sitting at 2,047 career hits and needs one more hit to tie Johnny Bench for 10th most career hits by a catcher in MLB history.

The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 35-33 with 94 games remaining in the 2021 season.

23 year old, Cuban born pitching stud Johan Oviedo pitched magnificently for the Cardinals, tossing 7 shutout innings while allowing just 6 hits and striking out 4 batters.

The Cardinals will have a happy flight to Atlanta this evening where they’ll open a 4 game series at Truist Park vs the Atlanta Braves. Tomorrow’s game time is set for 6:20 pm CT and the Cardinals will send John Gant to the mound. The Braves have not announced a starting pitcher yet.

Up to 5 wins in June for the Cardinals and I hope this is the beginning of a long winning streak!

Let’s Go Redbirds!

Jacob deGrom left tonight’s start, in which he threw three perfect innings and struck out eight, with right shoulder soreness.

Could be a huge blow to the chances of the Mets this year if he has to miss some time, even if the Mets play in currently the worst division in the big leagues by W/L record (and they’re currently the only team above .500 in their division, the only division in the big leagues who only has one team above .500).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Jacob deGrom left tonight’s start, in which he threw three perfect innings and struck out eight, with right shoulder soreness.
    C'mon now, don't undersell it. He also had a 2-out rbi single. Bringing his season line to .423/.462/.885, with 6 RBI. If you're keeping score at home, that's 2 more runs knocked in than earned runs allowed on the year. [Homer] Is there anything he can't do? [/Homer]
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    C'mon now, don't undersell it. He also had a 2-out rbi single. Bringing his season line to .423/.462/.885, with 6 RBI. If you're keeping score at home, that's 2 more runs knocked in than earned runs allowed on the year. [Homer] Is there anything he can't do? [/Homer]
    Lol, sometimes he doesn’t seem human. And he was a 9th round draft pick out of Stetson. Not an extremely high draft pick and doesn’t come from an NCAA baseball juggernaut, although Stetson is a solid program.

Is there an athlete in one of the four major sports that’s better at what they do than he is?

Is there an athlete in one of the four major sports that’s better at what they do than he is?
    Right now I don't think so. I'm a Yankee fan, but when he's pitching, that's must-see-tv for me.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Lol, sometimes he doesn’t seem human. And he was a 9th round draft pick out of Stetson. Not an extremely high draft pick and doesn’t come from an NCAA baseball juggernaut, although Stetson is a solid program.

But everyone hates the Dutch!

First day of Summer.

Padres take 3 from Cincinnati. Taties Jr missed yesterday’s game.
    Dodgers roll into town for an all important 3 game series.
    Giants and Dodgers continue to lead the Padres in the NL West. Dodgers and Padres are currently the NL Wild Card teams .

Yanks turn their third triple play of the season in the top of the ninth to hold on for a win over the A's. Chapman has been somewhat shaky lately but managed to get out of it. I enjoyed the father's day present.

While watching the Yankees game Saturday I saw two hits against the shift, one shortly after the other. Probably not statistically significant but it was nice to see.

Yanks have been playing well since the sticky stuff has started to get weeded out. Coincidence? Probably, but interesting nonetheless.

Looking forward to Voit coming back which should put Odor’s behind firmly on the bench.

Fun game at Petco last night as the Dodgers came to town to face a packed stadium for the first time in years. The crowd seems to have ignited the Friar’s sleepy bats and the runs piled up early. LA didn’t quite close the gap but they got into position where one more shot from Betts would have done the trick.

This rivalry continues to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Fun game at Petco last night as the Dodgers came to town to face a packed stadium for the first time in years. The crowd seems to have ignited the Friar’s sleepy bats and the runs piled up early. LA didn’t quite close the gap but they got into position where one more shot from Betts would have done the trick.

This rivalry continues to deliver.
    You're right ,Cronenworth's 10th HR in the first did ignite the crowd. The Dodgers own Southern California fan base. It's always interesting to me to see how much Dodger Blue is in the stands. In all honesty, it's could be as high as 30-50% of the crowd. Last night looked a little more like the 30 %. I love hearing the chant that follows all LA teams.. BEAT LA , BEAT LA .. You can hear that across the major leagues. Snell pitched better, thats a good sign for me. He is struggling this season.
    For the second game the Padre pitching held the Dodger bats to a minimal damage.

Tonight: Trevor Bauer vs Hometown favorite, Joe Musgrove.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    You're right ,Cronenworth's 10th HR in the first did ignite the crowd. The Dodgers own Southern California fan base. It's always interesting to me to see how much Dodger Blue is in the stands. In all honesty, it's could be as high as 30-50% of the crowd. Last night looked a little more like the 30 %. I love hearing the chant that follows all LA teams.. BEAT LA , BEAT LA .. You can hear that across the major leagues. Snell pitched better, thats a good sign for me. He is struggling this season.
    For the second game the Padre pitching held the Dodger bats to a minimal damage.

Tonight: Trevor Bauer vs Hometown favorite, Joe Musgrove.
    As a Dodgers' fan, I expected the Padres to be a big challenge all year, but the Giants have been a big surprise. Crawford, Posey, and Belk, all 33 or 34, are all way ahead of their normal HR paces, and Gausman and DeSclafani are both having by far their best years. I keep thinking they have to cool off, but it hasn't happened yet.

The Dodgers, of course, have to hope they get much more from Betts, Seager, and Bellinger over the rest of the season.

“Sweep LA.” Manny Machado willed the Padres to their first sweep of the Dodgers in years. Manny has been hitting it well recently, but his D has been off the charts all year.

This game was a gem. He almost single handedly retired LA one inning between his plays at third base and in right field. He scored in the eighth and then finished off the top of the ninth with a double play.

Tatis Jr gets a lot of buzz and he deserves all of it. But Manny is *huge* for this Padres team.

To the Friar Faithful.. finally a sweep of the dodgers. 7-3 this season against the dodgers.
    Padre pitching can keep up with the Dodger rotation.

Cato is right, Tatis Jr gets a lot of the publicity, but Manny is coming on.

Padres are 7-3 in the last 10 and 7 in a row.. and have lost a game to division leading Giants. They've gone 8-2. I keep thinking the Giants will have a bad series, or stretch of games, but they haven't. The Giants are 22 games above .500 .

Go Padres

Cubs get a no-no over the Dodgers to reclaim a share of first in the NL Central. Zach Davies (who has recovered from a brutal April) pitched the first 6 innings of it, and then the bullpen cavalry of Tepera/Chafin/Kimbrel finished the job. It wasn't a pretty no-no, with 8 walks to just 7 strikeouts. But it got the job done.

The Cubs are now 17-4 in their last 21 games started by Hendricks and Davies back to May 1... and 14-14 when those two guys don't take the hill.