Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Why do the Cards keep throwing Webb out there?
    Tough day for the Redbirds, as they lost to the Diamondbacks 9-2 in Phoenix. They did take 3 of 4 from the Diamondbacks on the road which was nice. The loss dropped their record to 30-23 but the Cubs lost to the Reds today so the Cardinals maintain a 0.5 game lead atop the NL Central.

Dylan Carlson was 2-4 with a solo HR, his 4th of the season. The Cardinals made 3 errors, 2 by Sosa at shortstop and one by Rondon at 3B. It was a makeshift lineup today for a day game on getaway day as Arenado and Yadi got the day off and Edman didn’t start and only pinch hit in the 9th inning.

A tough series is on deck for the Cardinals as they travel to Los Angeles and will play 3 at Dodger Stadium vs the Dodgers. Tomorrow will feature Jack Flaherty opposite Trevor Bauer. Gametime is at 8:10 pm CT.

Another interesting series to keep an eye on this week will be the Padres at the Cubs for 3 games. The Cubs then go to San Francisco for 4 games and then go to San Diego for 3 games before hosting the Cardinals for 3. The next 13 games will tell us a lot about the Cubs and Cardinals NL Central race.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Why do the Cards keep throwing Webb out there?
    He has something on manager Mike Shildt seriously I don't know why. Andrew Miller(former tarcheat) is probably joining the team when they return home Thursday to begin a 4 game homestand against the Reds. Miller wasn't exactly pitching like Sandy Koufax before he went on the IL with a toe blister on his right big toe(landing foot). He now has a new orthotic that should help with the pain. However the team may keep Webb on the major league roster because at the present time Webb is the only lefty reliever. In the game yesterday, Webb went 1/3 inning giving up 5 runs(3 earned) allowing 2 hits and 2 walks. His era is now 12.33. One of his 2 walks yesterday came with the bases loaded. The Cardinals now have the distinction of allowing 14 bases loaded walks which leads all of major league baseball.

For the game; in the loss the Cards had 10 hits but only went 1-11 RISP. Carpenter 2-4(2 doubles), Carlson 2-4(homer), Knizner 2-4(double), Rondon 2-4 but had a costly error. Speaking of errors, the Cards in their last 6 games heading into the Sunday matchup had committed 10 errors and had given up 6 unearned runs. After Sundays game, it's now 13 errors and 8 unearned runs in last 7 games. I'm pretty sure part of the blame goes having so many players on IL. Too many players moving in and out of the lineup and playing multiple positions. Cardinal starter Kim had a poor outing. He gave up 4 runs(all earned) on 9 hits and 1 walk in 5 innings. He also allowed a home run.

The Cardinals now move on to play the Dodgers tonight. Jack Flaherty, 8-1(2.84era) going for the Cards. Trevor Bauer goes for the Dodgers(5-3(2.07era). Bauer has been almost unhittable at home. He's 3-0 with a 0.90 era and struck out 28 hitters in 20 innings. Yadi Molina has gone 2-2 with a home run against Bauer in their careers.

GoRedbirds!

Fernando Tatis Jr

I really hope that Fernando Tatis Jr. Gets beaned repeatedly for that megalomaniacal admiration of his mammoth moon-shot home run. Kids these days...

Returned to see the SF Giants play four years to the day after the epic Bryce Harper-Hunter Strickland brawl. SF vs the Angels. 8th inning -- who should march out of the Angels bullpen but the self-same Strickland? We had no idea he was on their roster. No further fireworks though, as the Gigante won, 6-1.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I really hope that Fernando Tatis Jr. Gets beaned repeatedly for that megalomaniacal admiration of his mammoth moon-shot home run. Kids these days...
    Tatis is absolutely wonderful. Sad you wish he’d get hurt. How often have you watched him play?

The Cardinals now move on to play the Dodgers tonight. Jack Flaherty, 8-1(2.84era) going for the Cards. Trevor Bauer goes for the Dodgers(5-3(2.07era). Bauer has been almost unhittable at home. He's 3-0 with a 0.90 era and struck out 28 hitters in 20 innings. Yadi Molina has gone 2-2 with a home run against Bauer in their careers.

GoRedbirds![/QUOTE]

Flaherty okay, 9 k’s, 5 innings. Bullpen, ugh. No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Tatis is absolutely wonderful. Sad you wish he’d get hurt. How often have you watched him play?
    I've played and watched enough baseball to know that his display of admiring his HR is absolutely disgraceful, and has in the past been grounds for getting beaned. No doubt he is absolutely crushing the baseball, but that doesn't make him bigger than the game or the respect one should display for your opponent.

Cards lose to the Dodgers 9-4 but that's not the worse news. Jack Flaherty had to leave the game with side stiffness. He left the game with a 3-2 lead and had pitched 5 innings, giving up 2 solo homers. He had 9 strikeouts with 5 of them coming in a row from the start of the 3rd inning into the 4th. He fell 2 short of John Smoltz's club record. Jack's line= 5 innings, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk and 9 ks. His era is now 2.90.

The Cards hit 3 homers, Carlson's 5th 1 on, Williams' 4 none on and Tyler O'Neill's 12 none on. Tyler's having a great road trip. The middle of our lineup was pretty quiet. Goldy= 0-3, Nolan= 0-4(2 Ks) and Yadi=0-4.

Bullpen woes continue as they completely blew up. Helsley went 1/3 inning giving up 2 runs on 2 hits, Cabrera went 2/3 inning giving up 2 runs on 1 hit and 3 walks(1 intentional), Ponce deLeon went 1 2/3 innings giving up 4 hits and 3 runs. Cabrera inherited 2 runners and both scored and Elledge inherited 1 runner and he scored. Even with the all the injuries, the Cardinal starters have performed well this season but the bullpen has been terrible. The only 2 consistent relievers are Alex Reyes and Givonny Gallegos. Genesis Cabrera has been efficient at times but is not consistent. Control problems has been his main problem.

Todays game has John Gant on the mound for the Cardinals. Gant is 4-3 with a 1.81 era and has only pitched six innings one time this season. Control problems has caused his pitch count to mount quickly. He has 31 walks in 39 innings to go along with 35 strikeouts. His WHIP is 1.57 for the season. It's been amazing that he's been able to get out of so many jams so far. The Dodgers will have a bullpen game today. The starter is veteran David Price, 1-0 with a 3.31 era.

GoRedbirds!

Meanwhile, the Cubs, who have suffered a TON of injuries so far this year, completed a terrific May to take 1st in the Central (albeit by a whisker). The downside of the injuries is that they have had to shave some players off the 40-man roster to make room for position player fill-ins. They have sort of been the opposite of the Cards' staff: mediocre/disappointing rotation but absolutely stellar bullpen play. The offense has gone through about 20 bodies so far due to injuries, but after an abysmal April they are now up to 3rd in the NL in OPS and 6th in the NL in runs/game.

I don't expect the hitting to keep this up, but that may get somewhat offset by what should be an improving rotation (Hendricks, Davies, and Alzolay have ERAs of 2.67, 1.72, and 3.14 and WHIP of 1.188, 1.277, and 0.942 in May, respectively after each struggled in April) and hopefully the return of a few bats (Happ and Pederson are starting to wake up, Rizzo should be back soon).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Meanwhile, the Cubs, who have suffered a TON of injuries so far this year, completed a terrific May to take 1st in the Central (albeit by a whisker). The downside of the injuries is that they have had to shave some players off the 40-man roster to make room for position player fill-ins. They have sort of been the opposite of the Cards' staff: mediocre/disappointing rotation but absolutely stellar bullpen play. The offense has gone through about 20 bodies so far due to injuries, but after an abysmal April they are now up to 3rd in the NL in OPS and 6th in the NL in runs/game.

I don't expect the hitting to keep this up, but that may get somewhat offset by what should be an improving rotation (Hendricks, Davies, and Alzolay have ERAs of 2.67, 1.72, and 3.14 and WHIP of 1.188, 1.277, and 0.942 in May, respectively after each struggled in April) and hopefully the return of a few bats (Happ and Pederson are starting to wake up, Rizzo should be back soon).
    Both the Cards and Cubs have had more than their share of injuries this season. This brings to mind a question I've had in the back of my mind for a while. That question is this; Why does it seem that major league players of this era have more injuries than the Musial, Mantle, Williams, Aaron, Mays, Kaline, Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Jenkins, Feller, era? One of my Braves friends says it's because players are pampered these days. I don't believe that's the case. Well not position players. Pitchers maybe with pitch counts beginning when they're really young. I think some of it comes from training and weight lifting but I'm not an expert on this. I would love to hear from the resident New York Yankee fan, Mr. Sumner on what he thinks.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Both the Cards and Cubs have had more than their share of injuries this season. This brings to mind a question I've had in the back of my mind for a while. That question is this; Why does it seem that major league players of this era have more injuries than the Musial, Mantle, Williams, Aaron, Mays, Kaline, Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Jenkins, Feller, era? One of my Braves friends says it's because players are pampered these days. I don't believe that's the case. Well not position players. Pitchers maybe with pitch counts beginning when they're really young. I think some of it comes from training and weight lifting but I'm not an expert on this. I would love to hear from the resident New York Yankee fan, Mr. Sumner on what he thinks.

GoRedbirds!
    They have also changed the rules and shortened the IL days to 10, well made that option available. So, it is much easier after someone has been dayto day for a couple days to put them on the DL and bring someone up when compared to the 15 day DL.

GoRedbirds!
    Well, there are a few potential causes.

For pitchers, the obvious answers are that the mound was lowered after the 1968 season. Also, because hitters are SO much stronger today than before, pitchers have to rely on harder "stuff" than before. Up through the 1960s/70s, teams had maybe 3-4 guys (sometimes less) that could really punish a weak offering. So pitchers could stick to fastball/changeup and a get-me-over curveball for most hitters and then throw the sharp curve to the best/most powerful hitters. And pretty much nobody threw sliders back then, which are perhaps the most taxing on the arm. So even though pitchers in the "olden days" threw way more pitches and innings, the taxation on their arms was much less than it is today.

For hitters, the increase in weight training is probably the biggest culprit. Guys are much bigger and stronger today than they were 30 years ago or more. I mean, Frank Robinson was one of the best sluggers of his era, and he was 6'1", 185lb. Ernie Banks was 6'1", 180lb. Now? Guys are regularly comfortably over 200lb. That extra mass puts more strain on the joints/tendons/ligaments. So it stands to reason that they are more likely to break down physically.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, there are a few potential causes.

For pitchers, the obvious answers are that the mound was lowered after the 1968 season. Also, because hitters are SO much stronger today than before, pitchers have to rely on harder "stuff" than before. Up through the 1960s/70s, teams had maybe 3-4 guys (sometimes less) that could really punish a weak offering. So pitchers could stick to fastball/changeup and a get-me-over curveball for most hitters and then throw the sharp curve to the best/most powerful hitters. And pretty much nobody threw sliders back then, which are perhaps the most taxing on the arm. So even though pitchers in the "olden days" threw way more pitches and innings, the taxation on their arms was much less than it is today.

For hitters, the increase in weight training is probably the biggest culprit. Guys are much bigger and stronger today than they were 30 years ago or more. I mean, Frank Robinson was one of the best sluggers of his era, and he was 6'1", 185lb. Ernie Banks was 6'1", 180lb. Now? Guys are regularly comfortably over 200lb. That extra mass puts more strain on the joints/tendons/ligaments. So it stands to reason that they are more likely to break down physically.
    I can't argue with any of what you mentioned. I will say, pitchers in this era can make a baseball do more than the olden days guys and I'm sure the slider puts a strain on the pitchers arm. I've noticed also when looking at pitching prospects, smaller guys are not rated on a whole as high as larger guys. That wasn't the case in the 50s-60s. I guess we'll have to blame "Gibby" for the lowering of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I've played and watched enough baseball to know that his display of admiring his HR is absolutely disgraceful, and has in the past been grounds for getting beaned. No doubt he is absolutely crushing the baseball, but that doesn't make him bigger than the game or the respect one should display for your opponent.
    Try watching Tatis a bit before wishing him hurt.

Well it's over Cardinal Jack Flaherty has been placed on the 10 day IL with an oblique strain. However manager Mike Shildt said there was a tear and it that's the case, I don't believe 10 days will be enough time for the injury to heal. Johan Oviedo has been recalled once again from AAA. He has a 5.40 era this season. Ponce de Leon and Woodford are two other options to take Flaherty's spot in the rotation. Jack had an 8-1 record with a 2.90 era when he went down. He will be hard to replace. The other starters and bullpen must step up in his absence.

In the last nights game, the Cards beat the Dodgers 3-2 with Tyler O'Neill making a game saving catch to end the game. Edmundo Sosa knocked in what to proved to be the winning run in the top of the 9th inning. Giovanny Gallegos was the winner even though he was charged with a blown save. He allowed a 2 run homer to Matt Beaty that tied the game for the Dodgers in the bottom of the 7th. Alex Reyes picked up his 16th save of the season. Defense played a big part in the win as Tommy Edman and Dylan Carlson also made outstanding plays in the game. Edman, Carlson and O'Neill all had 2 hits in the game. O'Neill scored what proved to be the winning run when he stole 2nd base and Sosa brought him home.

The teams complete the 3 game series at Dodger Stadium tonight at 9:10pm est. The Cards are sending Carlos Martinez to the mound vs. Walker Buehler. Martinez is 3-4 with a 4.22 era. In his last start he had a no hitter for 6 innings. In his last 6 starts he has a 2.92 era as he's improved his command. Buehler is 3-0 with a 2.66 era. In his last 3 starts he's allowed 1 or fewer earned runs and he's the only Dodger starter to complete 6 innings this season. Nolan Arenado has 2 home runs off Buehler in their careers.

GoRedbirds!

Well it's over Cardinal Jack Flaherty has been placed on the 10 day IL with an oblique strain. However manager Mike Shildt said there was a tear and it that's the case, I don't believe 10 days will be enough time for the injury to heal. Johan Oviedo has been recalled once again from AAA. He has a 5.40 era this season. Ponce de Leon and Woodford are two other options to take Flaherty's spot in the rotation. Jack had an 8-1 record with a 2.90 era when he went down. He will be hard to replace. The other starters and bullpen must step up in his absence.

In the last nights game, the Cards beat the Dodgers 3-2 with Tyler O'Neill making a game saving catch to end the game. Edmundo Sosa knocked in what to proved to be the winning run in the top of the 9th inning. Giovanny Gallegos was the winner even though he was charged with a blown save. He allowed a 2 run homer to Matt Beaty that tied the game for the Dodgers in the bottom of the 7th. Alex Reyes picked up his 16th save of the season. Defense played a big part in the win as Tommy Edman and Dylan Carlson also made outstanding plays in the game. Edman, Carlson and O'Neill all had 2 hits in the game. O'Neill scored what proved to be the winning run when he stole 2nd base and Sosa brought him home.

The teams complete the 3 game series at Dodger Stadium tonight at 9:10pm est. The Cards are sending Carlos Martinez to the mound vs. Walker Buehler. Martinez is 3-4 with a 4.22 era. In his last start he had a no hitter for 6 innings. In his last 6 starts he has a 2.92 era as he's improved his command. Buehler is 3-0 with a 2.66 era. In his last 3 starts he's allowed 1 or fewer earned runs and he's the only Dodger starter to complete 6 innings this season. Nolan Arenado has 2 home runs off Buehler in their careers.

GoRedbirds!
    Good win last night for the Cardinals! Gant’s ERA is down to 1.60. The Cubs are taking care of business vs the Padres so winning last night was big and potentially taking the series tonight on the road in Los Angeles would be huge. It is a shame about Flaherty. He was having a stellar year. Oblique injuries usually take a while to heal and you don’t want to force it and come back too quickly and make it a nagging, recurring injury. Shildt said he will miss significant time. I read somewhere he initially felt some pain while pitching but really felt something pull when he took a swing with a bat. Heal up quickly Jack! I really hope we see him pitch again this season.

The other pitchers will really need to pull some extra weight now to keep the Cardinals going. Looking forward to tonight’s game.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Buehler is 3-0 with a 2.66 era. In his last 3 starts he's allowed 1 or fewer earned runs and he's the only Dodger starter to complete 6 innings this season.
    I think you meant Buehler's the only Dodger starter to complete 6 innings in every start this season. Bauer (11), Kershaw (9), Urias (7) and May (2, before TJ surgery sidelined him) have done it multiple times this season, with the Dodgers leading MLB in starter innings per game (5.7) and quality starts (33, or 60%).

The Padres just got swept by the Cubs at Wrigley.

The Padres have lost 4 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

As CDu noted earlier in the thread, the Cubs are in a quite a groove right now, despite starters Rizzo and Heyward, top prospect Nico Hoerner and 4th outfielder Jake Marisnick missing most of the last 2 weeks (Rizzo was back in the lineup today), and versatile defender and occasional clutch hitter David Bote going on IR over the weekend with a shoulder injury. The offense has been really gelling, cutting down on strikeouts and reducing the reliance on the long ball. Not sure how long that will last, but it's been a welcome change for Cubs fans after several seasons of "3 true outcomes" extremes. The starting pitching has also been much more consistent, with today's winner Adbert Alzolay looking more and more like a fixture who can break up the steady stream of command-dependent soft tossers that otherwise fill out the rotation. The bullpen has been very strong from the get go, with Kimbrel looking like a prime closer again, and a nice mix of setup and situational arms.

Before the season, most Cubs fans fully expected the front office to be sellers at the trade deadline, especially given the looming free agencies of Rizzo, Baez and Bryant. Not sure that's changed, but their decisions have definitely grown tougher with the way the team is playing. Bryant in particular is having a terrific bounce back year, having modified his swing to reduce the upper cut (launch angle), and susceptibility to fastballs high in the zone as a result. Though that has clearly increased his trade value, too. But I don't think there is an obvious 90+ win team in the division right now, especially if Flaherty is out for an extended period. So the next 2 months should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

Four in a row and Tatis. San Diego has a bubbling issue with its starters turning in quality starts and a continuing issue with generating offense. Tatis missing time (again) is probably not going to help this time.

Ah well. The Friars got swept by the Brewers a while back before going on a winning streak. The Cubs will be back in SD next week. I may go with a friend from Chicago on Wednesday. We’ll see how that works out, if it happens.
    Carolina delenda est