Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    That’s right, KK can be a good LHP starter for the Cards, too. He had a great year last year for them. He has good stuff and throws strikes. Not overpowering but good offspeed stuff and locates well.
    KK was a pleasant surprise last season and if he can approach that this year, it will really help. I wish we hadn't traded away Altancara to the Marlins. Even though we did get Ozuna in the deal( I think that's right). He's a stud for them

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    KK was a pleasant surprise last season and if he can approach that this year, it will really help. I wish we hadn't traded away Altancara to the Marlins. Even though we did get Ozuna in the deal( I think that's right). He's a stud for them
    Yeah, Alcántara is a stud. The Cards actually signed him out of the Dominican Republic when he was 16. You’re right, he was part of the Ozuna trade the Cards made with Miami. The Cards never seem to be short on young pitching prospects so I was ok with the deal because they desperately needed a power bat in the lineup. They struggled to score in the seasons leading up to that trade. The lineup looks elite now if guys stay healthy. Edman (switch hitter, good pop, fast on the basepaths), Goldschmidt (just a stud), Arenado (another stud), DeJong (great pop, strikes out a lot but improving his understanding of the strike zone at the plate), O’Neill (amazing pop, needs to make better contact but when he connects, he hits the ball a long way - he’s built like a linebacker), Yadi (the GOAT, still can run into one every now and again and yank one out of the yard), Carlson (the player I’m most excited about to follow, he has hit at every level in their minors and looks like he will be in the running for NL Rookie of the Year this season), Justin Williams (another big strong kid, good speed, former 2nd round pick of the Diamondbacks, can hit to the gaps and get you doubles), and don’t forget Carpenter and Bader. Both struggle to make contact at times but I love Bader’s defense in CF, speed, and occasional pop. Carpenter is struggling the past couple years but I think was 3rd in the NL in HRs in 2018 with 36 HRs - out of the leadoff spot. Trailed the NL leader in HRs in 2018 by 2 HRs - Arenado (current teammate) had 38 HRs that year for the Rockies.

MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta. It had been previously scheduled to be played at Truist Park in Atlanta.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...gia-voting-law

MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta. It had been previously scheduled to be played at Truist Park in Atlanta.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...gia-voting-law
    Wow. I would not have guessed that MLB would be the first to move on this. I guess corporate pressure was too much for them to ignore?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Wow. I would not have guessed that MLB would be the first to move on this. I guess corporate pressure was too much for them to ignore?
    It is a bold move, for sure. The Braves will probably suffer from this, too. Bad publicity and exposure. What a mess on all sides. Wonder where they’ll play it now? Atlanta will suffer economically for this and I bet this furthers the divide there. Just a mess.

Atlanta will suffer economically for this and I bet this furthers the divide there.
    This will start to stray into PPB territory, but there are many I know who would make it clear that Cobb County is not Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This will start to stray into PPB territory, but there are many I know who would make it clear that Cobb County is not Atlanta.
    *raises hand*
    The politics of this situation are intertwined with the very same politics that built up over decades to a greater Atlanta lacking in public transit, thus hopelessly wedded to cars, thus leading to a situation where the Barves “had” to move northward toward their heavily, erm, suburban fanbase.
    I’m very glad to hear of this a) because it gives me occasion to point and laugh at the Barves, but far more importantly, b) it tangibly registers the broad (and entirely appropriate) distaste for Georgia’s current efforts at legislating voter suppression.

39 year old Adam Wainwright makes his 327th career start today (all with the Cardinals) in Cincinnati. He will be in the Cardinals Hall of Fame one day along with his battery mate Yadier Molina!

Well hey there Shohei Ohtani.

Shohei Ohtani has thrown the fastest pitch of any starting pitcher so far in this early season (100.6 MPH) and has the hardest-hit HR of the season by any player (115.2 MPH exit velocity).
    https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/st...75861420609541
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    He was also apparently the first starting pitcher since 1903 to be slotted into the #2 spot in the starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    He was also apparently the first starting pitcher since 1903 to be slotted into the #2 spot in the starting lineup.
    He is an absolute stud. Struggled a bit with his command yesterday as he walked 5 batters in 4.2 IP but he throws flames and his splitter is filthy. That HR he hit yesterday was a missile. He can get the bat head out.

The 2021 MLB All-Star Game will be played at hitter-friendly Coors Field.

Major League Baseball swiftly moved the Midsummer Classic to Denver on Tuesday after pulling the game from Atlanta over objections to extensive changes to Georgia's voting laws.

Coors Field last hosted the All-Star Game in 1998. The game will be held July 13.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...me-coors-field

The Nats finally got a game in today. Their opening series with the Mets was cancelled due to COVID concerns. They walked off on the Braves in the nation’s capital.

The Braves are now 0-4!

Yep

The Nats finally got a game in today. Their opening series with the Mets was cancelled due to COVID concerns. They walked off on the Braves in the nation’s capital.

The Braves are now 0-4!
    Braves looked good. . .

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyUJJa7W...pg&name=medium

Looks like the Braves simply sewed a piece of fabric over the 2021 All-Star Game patches they were wearing on the right sleeves of their jerseys this year.

Ingenuity at its finest!

The Braves are now 0-4!
    After Acuna hit Scherzer’s first pitch of the season 420 feet I thought it might be a bad omen for my Nats, but Soto walking off his BFF Will Smith was an exciting finish!

The St. Louis Cardinals got their first sweep of the 2021 season today, beating the Miami Marlins on the road 7-0. Road sweeps are always good!

Notables:

Starting Pitcher Jack Flaherty: 6 shutout innings pitched, 1 hit, 4 walks, 6 strikeouts and the win

Dylan Carlson: 1-4, grand slam HR, 4 RBI, his 3rd HR already this season

Yadier Molina: 1-3, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI

The Cardinals improved to 4-2 and will have a happy flight back home to St. Louis where they’ll host the Milwaukee Brewers tomorrow afternoon in the home opener at Busch Stadium.

Adam Wainwright gets the home opener start tomorrow for the Redbirds.

The St. Louis Cardinals got their first sweep of the 2021 season today, beating the Miami Marlins on the road 7-0. Road sweeps are always good!

Notables:

Starting Pitcher Jack Flaherty: 6 shutout innings pitched, 1 hit, 4 walks, 6 strikeouts and the win

Dylan Carlson: 1-4, grand slam HR, 4 RBI, his 3rd HR already this season

Yadier Molina: 1-3, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI

The Cardinals improved to 4-2 and will have a happy flight back home to St. Louis where they’ll host the Milwaukee Brewers tomorrow afternoon in the home opener at Busch Stadium.

Adam Wainwright gets the home opener start tomorrow for the Redbirds.
    Just wanted to give Yadi some praise. In a scoreless game Yadi came up with a homerun that gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead. The homer was measured at 427 feet. It seems Yadi has found the fountain of youth at the age of 39. He's 2nd in: RBI-7, AVG-.316, OBP-.364 and 3rd in OPS-.890. Starter Jack Flaherty gave Yadi credit for getting him through some tough spots as he had 101 pitches and walked 5 batters. Dylan Carlson added a grand slam in the 9th inning to give the bullpen some breathing room. It was his 3rd homer of the season and he leads the team with 9 RBI.

GoRedbirds!

The 2021 MLB All-Star Game will be played at hitter-friendly Coors Field.

Major League Baseball swiftly moved the Midsummer Classic to Denver on Tuesday after pulling the game from Atlanta over objections to extensive changes to Georgia's voting laws.

Coors Field last hosted the All-Star Game in 1998. The game will be held July 13.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...me-coors-field
    I sat in the center field bleachers there several years ago. Cool ballpark, right across from the Great Divide tasting room.

Wonder why the Masters didn't follow the MLB's lead and relocate I can't think of a reason Surely it isn't because Nevermind...

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Just wanted to give Yadi some praise. In a scoreless game Yadi came up with a homerun that gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead. The homer was measured at 427 feet. It seems Yadi has found the fountain of youth at the age of 39. He's 2nd in: RBI-7, AVG-.316, OBP-.364 and 3rd in OPS-.890. Starter Jack Flaherty gave Yadi credit for getting him through some tough spots as he had 101 pitches and walked 5 batters. Dylan Carlson added a grand slam in the 9th inning to give the bullpen some breathing room. It was his 3rd homer of the season and he leads the team with 9 RBI.

GoRedbirds!
    You are exactly right. It seems Yadi’s power numbers and pop have increased as he’s aged. The guy is a beast. Tough as nails. He works the pitching staff so well, and the Cardinals need it as they have several young guys throwing significant innings. He is a first ballot hall of famer in my book. 9 time All-Star, 9 Gold Gloves, 2 World Series championships, 2,000+ hits, 160+ HRs, lifetime .281 career hitter, and still has the rest of this season to add to his stats and maybe his trophy cupboard.

I think he will be a fine coach or manager one day and I hope it’s with the St. Louis Cardinals. He’s put in his time for the organization and represented them very well.