Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Four in a row and Tatis. San Diego has a bubbling issue with its starters turning in quality starts and a continuing issue with generating offense. Tatis missing time (again) is probably not going to help this time.

Ah well. The Friars got swept by the Brewers a while back before going on a winning streak. The Cubs will be back in SD next week. I may go with a friend from Chicago on Wednesday. We’ll see how that works out, if it happens.

As a Padre fan, I agree with you comment about the Padre starting pitching. Not enough quality starts. Dervish is the exception. Former Cy Young winner Blake Snell has struggled with the NL strike zone. Many of his earned runs have come from him giving up walks. I hope last night is more of a sign of things to come from Snell. 7 innings, 1 hit , 1 walk, 10 strikeouts. Musgrove has not been bad.
    The Padres are using a deeper starting rotation during this 20 straight days of games.

Overall, the Friars have the best era in baseball. 2.85 . Very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    As a Padre fan, I agree with you comment about the Padre starting pitching. Not enough quality starts. Dervish is the exception. Former Cy Young winner Blake Snell has struggled with the NL strike zone. Many of his earned runs have come from him giving up walks. I hope last night is more of a sign of things to come from Snell. 7 innings, 1 hit , 1 walk, 10 strikeouts. Musgrove has not been bad.
    The Padres are using a deeper starting rotation during this 20 straight days of games.

At the

At the beginning of the year, I thought starting pitching was the strength of the Padre team and I have not changed my mind. In my opinion, 3 teams from the NL West will be in the playoffs. I still feel the Padres will win the division by a hair over the Dodgers and Giants. I have no idea who will come out on top in the NL Central or the NL East.

NL strike zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

There is no NL strike zone any more, at least that's my recollection: all umps are just MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    There is no NL strike zone any more, at least that's my recollection: all umps are just MLB.
    You are correct. They do work both leagues. So Blake’s problems must be the different stadiums lol. Just kidding.
    Last nights 7 innings outing is the longest he’s had since 2019 .

Cards lose 4th game in a row.

The Cardinals lost their 4th game in a row(5-2) and have lost 6 of their last 7 games. Injuries continue to mount as Yadi Molina left last nights game when he took a foul tip on his knee cap. After todays game, they have 2 off days this week and they hope he might return to the lineup without going on IL. Starter Kim and outfielder Williams were put on the 10 day IL yesterday. Williams with stiffness in his neck that popped up when the team returned from LA. KK has the same back injury that kept him from starting the season. Angel Rondon was called up to replace KK and when he plays, that will be his major league debut. He had pitched well in his last 2 games at Memphis but in his first 2 he wasn't very sharp.
    Tyler O'Neill had 2 doubles and went 2-4 for the Cardinals last night. Nolan Arenado came out of his slump and went 3-5 knocking in both Cardinal runs.
    Today the Cardinals send their best available pitcher(my opinion) to the hill in the final game of this series. The Reds send lefty Wade Miley to the hill. Game time is 2:15 EST.

GoCards! (Thought I'd try and change the Cards luck)

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The Cardinals lost their 4th game in a row(5-2) and have lost 6 of their last 7 games. Injuries continue to mount as Yadi Molina left last nights game when he took a foul tip on his knee cap. After todays game, they have 2 off days this week and they hope he might return to the lineup without going on IL. Starter Kim and outfielder Williams were put on the 10 day IL yesterday. Williams with stiffness in his neck that popped up when the team returned from LA. KK has the same back injury that kept him from starting the season. Angel Rondon was called up to replace KK and when he plays, that will be his major league debut. He had pitched well in his last 2 games at Memphis but in his first 2 he wasn't very sharp.
    Tyler O'Neill had 2 doubles and went 2-4 for the Cardinals last night. Nolan Arenado came out of his slump and went 3-5 knocking in both Cardinal runs.
    Today the Cardinals send their best available pitcher(my opinion) to the hill in the final game of this series. The Reds send lefty Wade Miley to the hill. Game time is 2:15 EST.

GoCards! (Thought I'd try and change the Cards luck)
    Tough stretch for the RedBirds. The injuries are mounting. Seems they have been bitten harder than most by the injury bug this year. Gotta try to salvage the sweep today. The Cardinals have fallen to 3rd in the NL Central. The good thing is the Cubs have lost 3 in a row but the Brewers have won 3 in a row. Gonna be a dogfight trying to win this division short handed due to injuries. Hope Gant throws strikes today.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Tough stretch for the RedBirds. The injuries are mounting. Seems they have been bitten harder than most by the injury bug this year. Gotta try to salvage the sweep today. The Cardinals have fallen to 3rd in the NL Central. The good thing is the Cubs have lost 3 in a row but the Brewers have won 3 in a row. Gonna be a dogfight trying to win this division short handed due to injuries. Hope Gant throws strikes today.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Today the Yankees lose a fair chance at the game against the Red Sux in the last inning when the umpire calls a pitch that is more than two baseballs outside the strike zone to be strike three. Give me an effing break.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Gant didn’t throw strikes. Cards make a great comeback only to lose. Tough stretch and tough loss. Hard to see how they turn this around. Gotta hang in there until they get healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Gant didn’t throw strikes. Cards make a great comeback only to lose. Tough stretch and tough loss. Hard to see how they turn this around. Gotta hang in there until they get healthy.
    It's going to be tough but not impossible. What makes it hard is this Cardinal team doesn't have great starting pitching and the hitting has been inconsistent. Some years you can sort of hang your hat on one or the other(pitching or hitting). The starting rotation for this season ideally would have been: Flaherty #1. Dakota Hudson #2, Kim #3, Mikolas #4 and Wainwright #5. But Hudson had TJ surgery last season and probably won't pitch this season. John Gant was made the #5 starter pushing Waino to #4. Then Mikolas went down and Carlos Martinez was put into the rotation. Then KK came up with the back injury and has been in and out of the rotation. Welcome Johan Oviedo to the fray. Then to top it off, Flaherty goes down with an injury(oblique). In the game yesterday, the Cards had 3/5 of their seasoning opening rotation missing. As for the position players, the Cards were missing a third of that group.

NL Central Standings(6-7-'21)
    Cubs 33-26...last 10 games=6-4
    Brewers 33-26...last 10 games= 9-1
    Cardinals 31-29...3-7 last 10 games and have lost 7 or their last 8 games.
    Reds... 28-29...7-3 last 10 games(swept Cards 4 games)
    Pirates...23-35...5-5 last 10 games.
    The Cubs are doing most of their good work at home with a 21-10 record and 12-16 on the road. The Brewers 17-15 at home and 16-11 on the road have a good balance. Cards are 15-14 at Busch and 16-15 away. Pretty close. The Reds have a losing home record 12-14 and are 16-15 on the road. They were helped out by the Cardinals who lost all four to them over the weekend.

Cards get a the day off and resume play Tuesday at home against the Cleveland Indians. Cleveland sends 2020 Cy-Young winner, Shane Bieber to the mound. He has a 6-3 record this season with a 3.08 era and 1.19 WHIP. The 26 year old star has struck out 117 in 79 innings. If he's on and he is most games, the Cardinals who have been known to strikeout a lot, will be in for a tough time. The Cardinals have Carlos Martinez going for them, fresh off a game in which he retired only 2 hitters and allowed 10 runs in that short outing. After the 2 game series against Cleveland in St. Louis, the Cards go to Chicago to face the Cubs who seem to be getting healthy and are playing better.

GoRedbirds!

Going to be interesting to see how things shake out with the coming crackdown on foreign substances.

As a Yankees fan, I’m looking forward to it. If it affects are staff, it’ll put me out of my misery and help me stop watching this unwatchable team. If it helps, bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Going to be interesting to see how things shake out with the coming crackdown on foreign substances.

As a Yankees fan, I’m looking forward to it. If it affects are staff, it’ll put me out of my misery and help me stop watching this unwatchable team. If it helps, bonus.
    In the old days pitchers used to load up a baseball to make it more slippery.

thayers-slippery-elm.jpg

Now it appears they cheat to make things more sticky.

Padres just finished playing 20 straight days, going 10-10 and 3-7 over the last 10 games . The Friars really didn't look good against the Cubs, and Brewers, but especially the Cubs. Padres fall from 1st to 3rd place over these 20 games. SF and LA have moved ahead. Pitching wasn't as big a concern as I thought it might have been, but hitting was.

San Diego Padre Cy Young award winner Gaylord Perry threw a wet one. So no comments about doctoring the ball lol.

The St. Louis Cardinals ended their 6 game losing streak with an 8-2 win over the Cleveland Indians. Adam Wainwright turned in a solid outing getting the win. Adam gave up 2 runs in the first inning but closed the door the rest of the way. Adam and the two relieves held Cleveland to 3 hits on the night. Tyler O'Neill was once again the hitting star as he hit his 14th and 15th home runs of the season. Since he returned from IL he's been the teams best hitter. With the bases loaded, Matt Carpenter had a double that cleared the bases. The veteran has hit .357 and has an OBP of .455 over his last 13 games.

The Cards have a day off and then will play the Cubs in Wrigley over the weekend. The Cardinals starters are: Oviedo, Gant and Martinez for the upcoming series. The Cubs have not named starters for the upcoming games, but if they stick to their usual rotation, it will be; Azolay, Hendrick and Stewart. This is a pretty big series between the NL Central rivals. The Cubs have been playing good baseball lately after a terrible April. The Cardinals on the other hand have been the opposite as they have found themselves down early in games. Starting pitching has been a problem, to say the least.

GoRedbirds!

The St. Louis Cardinals ended their 6 game losing streak with an 8-2 win over the Cleveland Indians. Adam Wainwright turned in a solid outing getting the win. Adam gave up 2 runs in the first inning but closed the door the rest of the way. Adam and the two relieves held Cleveland to 3 hits on the night. Tyler O'Neill was once again the hitting star as he hit his 14th and 15th home runs of the season. Since he returned from IL he's been the teams best hitter. With the bases loaded, Matt Carpenter had a double that cleared the bases. The veteran has hit .357 and has an OBP of .455 over his last 13 games.

The Cards have a day off and then will play the Cubs in Wrigley over the weekend. The Cardinals starters are: Oviedo, Gant and Martinez for the upcoming series. The Cubs have not named starters for the upcoming games, but if they stick to their usual rotation, it will be; Azolay, Hendrick and Stewart. This is a pretty big series between the NL Central rivals. The Cubs have been playing good baseball lately after a terrible April. The Cardinals on the other hand have been the opposite as they have found themselves down early in games. Starting pitching has been a problem, to say the least.

GoRedbirds!
    It felt good to finally see the St. Louis Cardinals win one. Their team has been tattered with injuries. At 32-30 with 100 games left, there is still plenty of time remaining in the season. Tyler O’Neill is tearing the cover off the baseball this year at the plate. He is batting .291 with 15 HRs and 32 RBI. He is so strong and absolutely launches the ball for HRs when he connects with it and can square it up. His dad was an Olympic weightlifter in Canada and Tyler’s body is of the same mold. The guy has some serious muscle. Waino pitched beautifully and now has 171 career MLB wins. Huge series this weekend at Wrigley.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

The St. Louis Cardinals lost game 1 of the 3 game series at Wrigley Field yesterday 8-5. The loss dropped the record of the Cardinals to 32-31 with 99 games remaining. The Cardinals are officially in a slump, at 2-9 in their last 11 games. There is still plenty of time remaining in the season so it is not time to panic yet, but things need to start turning in a different direction soon if this team wants to be a competitor in the NL Central. Injuries have played a role in their slump but they also are not pitching well in their bullpen.

Yadier Molina yesterday moved to 11th all time in MLB history for most hits by a catcher. He passed AJ Pierzynski who had 2,043 hits in his career. Molina was 3-4 yesterday and now has 2,045 career hits. Next on the list is Johnny Bench who had 2,048 career hits and is 10th all time for a catcher in that category. Yadi, 38 years old, is batting .286 this season.

Today, the Cardinals will send John Gant to the mound opposite Kyle Hendricks at Wrigley Field. Hendricks typically is a shut down pitcher but has been hit fairly hard this year to the tune of a 4.59 ERA. Game time is set for 6:15 pm CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

It felt good to finally see the St. Louis Cardinals win one. Their team has been tattered with injuries. At 32-30 with 100 games left, there is still plenty of time remaining in the season. Tyler O’Neill is tearing the cover off the baseball this year at the plate. He is batting .291 with 15 HRs and 32 RBI. He is so strong and absolutely launches the ball for HRs when he connects with it and can square it up. His dad was an Olympic weightlifter in Canada and Tyler’s body is of the same mold. The guy has some serious muscle. Waino pitched beautifully and now has 171 career MLB wins. Huge series this weekend at Wrigley.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Looking at the lineup the Cards put on the field, they are blessed to only be 4 games out of first place. They got DeJong back yesterday and he picked up where he left off when he went to the IL. He's hitting .172 for the season and he was 1 for 10 in his rehab assignment at Memphis. His at bats against the slider are his downfall. The Cards took a 5-1 lead into the bottom of the 5th after scoring 3 runs in the top half of the inning. Starter, Johan Ovideo promply walks the leadoff hitter(only walk he gave up) and the Cubs get back into the game scoring 3 runs(score 5-4). Oviedo is taken out of the game and replaced by Helsley who doesn't allow a run. Next inning, Ponce deLeon gives up a game tying homerun to Anthony Rizzo. Next inning, Cabrera only get's 2 hitters out and gives up 2 runs and Cubs take the lead. The game is basically over with the Cubs excellent bullpen shutting the door on the Cardinals.

Series continues today in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field at 8:15 EST. Starters are John Gant for the Cards and Kyle Hendricks for the Cubs. Gant had his worst outing of the year last time out giving up 7 runs and didn't make it to the 5th inning. Walks have hurt him all season as he leads the major in that category. Hendricks who has been a Cardinal killer over the years has been lights out lately. In his last 7 games, he's gone 6-1 and is 7-4 for the year. The veteran right hander doesn't have an over powering fastball but he paints the corners and changes speed like Greg Maddux.

GoRedbirds!

The St. Louis Cardinals lost game 1 of the 3 game series at Wrigley Field yesterday 8-5. The loss dropped the record of the Cardinals to 32-31 with 99 games remaining. The Cardinals are officially in a slump, at 2-9 in their last 11 games. There is still plenty of time remaining in the season so it is not time to panic yet, but things need to start turning in a different direction soon if this team wants to be a competitor in the NL Central. Injuries have played a role in their slump but they also are not pitching well in their bullpen.

Yadier Molina yesterday moved to 11th all time in MLB history for most hits by a catcher. He passed AJ Pierzynski who had 2,043 hits in his career. Molina was 3-4 yesterday and now has 2,045 career hits. Next on the list is Johnny Bench who had 2,048 career hits and is 10th all time for a catcher in that category. Yadi, 38 years old, is batting .286 this season.

Today, the Cardinals will send John Gant to the mound opposite Kyle Hendricks at Wrigley Field. Hendricks typically is a shut down pitcher but has been hit fairly hard this year to the tune of a 4.59 ERA. Game time is set for 6:15 pm CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Good stuff ^. Speaking of Yadi, he had an off day defensively yesterday. He had a passed ball that allowed a run and then had a throwing error trying to pick a runner off third base. That came in the 3 run 5th.

There are some close races in baseball this season. Here are a look at them.
    NL Central tie for first between the Cubs and Brewers. There are only 4 games(loss column) separating the first place teams and the 4th place team(Reds). Mets have a 7 game lead over the Phils in the NL East. Not so close there. In the NL West, the Giants(1st) have a 2 game lead over the Dodgers and 5 game lead over the 3rd place Padres.
    AL East sees Tampa in first place with a 1 game lead over the Red Sox and 6 game over the Yankees and Blue Jays. The AL west Oakland and Houston are even in the loss column. Oakland is 38-27 and Houston is 36-27. In the AL Central the White Sox are in first place with a 39-24 record. Cleveland is 2nd with a 33-27 record.
    Tampa Bay has the best record in baseball at 40-24. They are an amazing small budget organization that get's it done. Boston is 2nd in that division only 1 game back in the loss column. The Red Sox and SF Giants are the two most surprising teams in my mind so far.
    Worst records belong to the AZ D-Backs(20-44) and the Texas Rangers(24-40). I guess they're playing for a high draft choice next season.

The St. Louis Cardinals dropped the 2nd game of the series to the Cubs 7-2 as John Gant didn't get out of the 2nd inning. He issued 1 hit and walked 5 hitters in the short outing. The one hit was a home run with a runner on base. The Cards have now lost 10 of their last 12 games. The Cardinals send Carlos Martinez to the mound today vs. the Cubs, Zack Davies. The Cubs go for the sweep.

On a brighter note, Nolan Gorman hit 3 home runs for AA Springfield yesterday. This after hitting 2 homers the day before. He's red hot in June as his stats indicate: .426/.481.814 with an OPS 1.375. His season stats: .328/401/.588 and .989 OPS. He's been moved from 3rd base to 2nd base with the offseason trade that brought Nolan Arenado to the team. He gives credit to the coaching staff for the improved power numbers. Might be a good idea to call up that coaching staff to the major league team.

GoRedbirds!

The St. Louis Cardinals dropped the 2nd game of the series to the Cubs 7-2 as John Gant didn't get out of the 2nd inning. He issued 1 hit and walked 5 hitters in the short outing. The one hit was a home run with a runner on base. The Cards have now lost 10 of their last 12 games. The Cardinals send Carlos Martinez to the mound today vs. the Cubs, Zack Davies. The Cubs go for the sweep.

On a brighter note, Nolan Gorman hit 3 home runs for AA Springfield yesterday. This after hitting 2 homers the day before. He's red hot in June as his stats indicate: .426/.481.814 with an OPS 1.375. His season stats: .328/401/.588 and .989 OPS. He's been moved from 3rd base to 2nd base with the offseason trade that brought Nolan Arenado to the team. He gives credit to the coaching staff for the improved power numbers. Might be a good idea to call up that coaching staff to the major league team.

GoRedbirds!
    The Cardinals have 2 wins in June and sit at 32-32. It is officially a slump for the good guys. Gant again had control issues last night walking 5 guys in less than 2 innings. DeJong hit a mammoth HR which was good to see. The Cardinals will look to avoid the sweep last night. It would be huge to get one win at Wrigley at this point. It is turning into a frustrating season to watch this pitching staff struggle along with injuries. There are still 98 games remaining though so there’s plenty of time to turn it around.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

rename thread?

Why don't we just rename this thread "The 2021 St. Louis Cardinals Season"?
    That would certainly be a more accurate description of the contents.

Let's go, Mets!