Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yeah Gant needs to make more competitive pitches. The 6 walks yesterday was awful. I have faith he will.

I was sad to see Gomber go because I never think a team can have too many LHP starters or relievers. I am happy the Cardinals got Arenado though because he’s a legendary talent.

Speaking of left handed pitching, a guy in the Cardinals organization I am and a lot of others are high on made his AAA debut last night for the Memphis Redbirds. It was his first start above A ball. Matthew Liberatore is the Cardinals number 1 prospect and threw 6 IP, allowing 5 hits, 2 ER, walking none, and striking out 5. He is only 21. He was drafted 16th overall in the 2018 draft by the Rays. He was part of the trade to St. Louis that sent Jose Martinez and Randy Arozorena to Tampa Bay. The kid has some electric stuff. He has a classic pitcher’s build at 6’5”, 200 lbs. He had a good fastball with sink that sits in the low 90s and tops at 95-96 mph with a devastating change up and good 12-6 curveball. He’s also working on a slider. I think he’ll be a front line starting pitcher for the Cardinals pretty soon, like this year or next.
    Matthew Liberatore(Lefty) is the Cardinals #1 prospect and the #5 prospect is Zack Thompson who is a lefty as well. Both guys may reach the majors in 2022. A team cannot have too many lefthanded starters. Nolan Gorman(IF) the #2 prospect and Ivan Herrara(C) the #3 prospect are not off to a good starts, but the season has just started. Most baseball people think Herrera is going to be Yadi's replacement when he retires.

The St. Louis Cardinals got back into the win column tonight by defeating the Colorado Rockies 5-0 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 19-14. The 19 wins are tied for most in the MLB with the Boston Red Sox and Oakland Athletics. The Cardinals are now 2 games up on the Milwaukee Brewers for first place in the NL Central.

Jack Flaherty did it all for the Cardinals tonight. He got the win to improve to 6-0 with a 2.83 ERA by tossing 7 shutout innings, allowing just 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 6. He also was 1-2 at the plate with a solo HR. Great NL pitcher performance from him on the bump and at the dish! Flaherty’s 6 wins on the mound are good for tops in the MLB, 2 better than anyone else in the game.

Harrison Bader also hit his 3rd HR of the season. Dylan Carlson and Nolan Arenado were both 2-4 at the plate and are both batting .283 on the season.

The Cardinals and Rockies continue their 3 game series tomorrow at Busch Stadium. The Cardinals will send Carlos Martinez to the hill opposite Chi Chi González. Game time is set for 1:15 pm CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Cincinnati Reds' Wade Miley confounds Cleveland Indians for 2021's 4th no-hitter

CLEVELAND -- Wade Miley pitched baseball's second no-hitter in three days -- and fourth already this season -- leading the Cincinnati Reds to a 3-0 win Friday night over the Cleveland Indians, who were no-hit for the second time in a month.

Miley (4-2) relied on breaking pitches and his experience of 11-plus major league seasons to baffle the Indians and throw Cincinnati's first no-hitter since Homer Bailey in 2013.

"It feels surreal,'' the 34-year-old said.

The left-hander shook off an 83-minute rain delay to start the game and followed Baltimore's John Means, who no-hit Seattle on Wednesday, to continue an early run of pitching gems in 2021 -- quickly becoming the Year of the No-No.

San Diego's Joe Musgrove started the `21 no-hitter club by throwing the first in Padres' history on April 9. Five days later, Chicago White Sox left-hander Carlos Rodon blanked the Indians, just missing a perfect game when he hit a batter in the ninth inning.

Arizona's Madison Bumgarner pitched a seven-inning no-hitter against Atlanta on April 25, but that one isn't recognized as official because it didn't go nine innings.

This is the earliest in a calendar year there have been four no-hitters since 1917, when the fourth was thrown on May 5 and the fifth on May 6, and only the second season overall in MLB history to have four no-hitters before the end of May, according to ESPN Stats & Information. It's no wonder, with hitters entering Friday batting a record-low .233 this season.

For their part, the Indians joined a dubious list by becoming the 16th team to be no-hit twice in the same season. It most recently happened to Seattle in 2019.

Miley walked one and struck out eight on 114 pitches.

"He put on a clinic,'' Indians manager Terry Francona said.

While Miley was blanking the Indians, Zach Plesac did the same to the Reds for eight innings before Cincinnati pushed three runs across in the ninth, helped by closer Emmanuel Clase's throwing error and a balk.

In the ninth, Miley retired pinch-hitter Rene Rivera on a lazy fly to right, struck out Cesar Hernandez and then retired Jordan Luplow on a grounder to third before he was mobbed by the Reds, who encircled him and danced across the grass.

Miley came in just 1-4 in eight career starts against the Indians, who were batting only .213 as a team. But Cleveland has been as hot as any team, riding a five-game winning streak and winning nine of 11 to take over first in the AL Central.

Working quickly on a cool, damp night, Miley made quick work of the Indians.

He coasted through five inning and didn't allow a baserunner until the sixth, when Cleveland's Amed Rosario reached on second baseman Senzel's fielding error and then went to second on his throwing error.

Miley also allowed a walk in the inning, but regrouped by getting Luplow on a liner to left.

Franmil Reyes came the closest to getting a hit for the Indians, but his hard smash in the fifth inning was right at shortstop Kyle Farmer, who knocked it down and had plenty of time to throw out the slow-footed slugger.

It was the Reds' 17th no-hitter since 1892.

"For something like this to happen, I don't have the words,'' Miley said.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-4th-no-hitter

The St. Louis Cardinals got back into the win column tonight by defeating the Colorado Rockies 5-0 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 19-14. The 19 wins are tied for most in the MLB with the Boston Red Sox and Oakland Athletics. The Cardinals are now 2 games up on the Milwaukee Brewers for first place in the NL Central.

Jack Flaherty did it all for the Cardinals tonight. He got the win to improve to 6-0 with a 2.83 ERA by tossing 7 shutout innings, allowing just 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 6. He also was 1-2 at the plate with a solo HR. Great NL pitcher performance from him on the bump and at the dish! Flaherty’s 6 wins on the mound are good for tops in the MLB, 2 better than anyone else in the game.

Harrison Bader also hit his 3rd HR of the season. Dylan Carlson and Nolan Arenado were both 2-4 at the plate and are both batting .283 on the season.

The Cardinals and Rockies continue their 3 game series tomorrow at Busch Stadium. The Cardinals will send Carlos Martinez to the hill opposite Chi Chi González. Game time is set for 1:15 pm CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Flaherty with 2 outs, gave up 3 hits in the first inning but some bad baserunning by Charlie Blackmon got him out to the inning with no runs scored. After the first inning, he didn't give up another hit and he only walked one batter. Great pitching from the Cardinal's Ace.

GoRedbirds.

Cards hang on for a 9-8 win. Good to see Molina back, and hitting well.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Cards hang on for a 9-8 win. Good to see Molina back, and hitting well.
    Good win today to take the series over the Rockies. Going for the sweep tomorrow with Wainwright on the hill.

Alex Reyes got the save today which was his 10th in 10 opportunities. That’s good for 2nd in the MLB. He did give up an earned run which raised his ERA from 0.00 to 0.53. I think he has found his niche. I just pray he stays healthy. The young man had been through a lot with injuries in his young career. It’s good to see him finally capitalizing on his shot. He is still just 26.

20-14 now. 2.5 games up on the 2nd place Chicago Cubs who have won 5 in a row.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Good win today to take the series over the Rockies. Going for the sweep tomorrow with Wainwright on the hill.

Alex Reyes got the save today which was his 10th in 10 opportunities. That’s good for 2nd in the MLB. He did give up an earned run which raised his ERA from 0.00 to 0.53. I think he has found his niche. I just pray he stays healthy. The young man had been through a lot with injuries in his young career. It’s good to see him finally capitalizing on his shot. He is still just 26.

20-14 now. 2.5 games up on the 2nd place Chicago Cubs who have won 5 in a row.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Good post and I'm with you on Reyes. He was once the Cards top pitching prospect but injuries took a toll on the young man. I'm glad to see him doing well and with Hicks struggling to get over the TJ surgery, Alex has been a blessing. As for the Cubs, we don't play them until May 21st. It seems in the past we've played them earlier than this.

GoRedbirds!

Cards win, and sweep the series. Wainwright goes 8.1, 2-0. Just enough to win.

Glad to see the Dodgers pull out the win last night even though the Angels nearly caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Cards win, and sweep the series. Wainwright goes 8.1, 2-0. Just enough to win.
    How sweep it is! 39 year old Adam Wainwright nearly goes the distance and the good guys get another one in the win column. 21-14 now. Heck of a start for the boys. Shildt has them looking good.

17 straight games.

The Cardinals finished their 17th straight game schedule with a 13-4 record. However they did get one day off in a rain out. Yesterdays game saw 38 year old, Adam Wainwright pitch 8 1/3 shutout innings giving up 3 hits, 2 bbs, 5 ks. Adam got his ERA down to 3.80 in the win. Ryan Helsley got the save by inducing a groundball double play to end the game. The hitting stars were; Yadi who went 2-4(2 doubles). Yadi is hitting .329 & has a club leading .997 OPS. Not bad for a 38 year old catcher. Nolan Arenado chipped in with his 6th home run of the season and the first against his former team. The stars of the game, Waino, Yadi and Nolan were not even on the team after last season ended. Yadi and Waino were free agents and Nolan came over in an offseason trade.

The team is off today and will begin a 6 game road trip on Tuesday. First is the Milwaukee Brewers(3) and then on to San Diego for 3 more. Then it's back home to face the Pirates for 2 and the host the Cubbies for 3.

GoRedbirds!

Carlos Martinez, RH starter for the Cardinals has been placed on the 10 day IL due to an ankle injury. Martinez has a 3-4 record, 4.35 ERA and had been pitching well in his latest starts. Johan Oviedo has been recalled from AAA Memphis to take his place in the rotation.

GoRedbirds!

Great extra inning win over the Brewers. Strong pitching although Reyes was all over the place, and I hope they don’t over use him - going 2 innings for the save. Four in a row!

Dodgers came through for me tonight.

Pay no real attention since it is only May. But the Oakland A's are leading the AL West by 2-½ games. They even sport a .595 win percentage, beating the Sawks in Bahston on Tuesday night. After a horrendous first week of the season, they have been playing around .600 ball.

But, August it ain't and the Astros and Mariners are nipping at their heels.

And over in the DBR's favorite league, the Giants and the Cards are at .611.

I may have to go see the A's in person when they get back from their current road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Pay no real attention since it is only May. But the Oakland A's are leading the AL West by 2-½ games. They even sport a .595 win percentage, beating the Sawks in Bahston on Tuesday night. After a horrendous first week of the season, they have been playing around .600 ball.

But, August it ain't and the Astros and Mariners are nipping at their heels.

And over in the DBR's favorite league, the Giants and the Cards are at .611.

I may have to go see the A's in person when they get back from their current road trip.
    As you posted, the Cards and Giants are 22-14(.611) and that's the best record in the majors in this still young season. The White Sox are; 20-13(.606). The A's are going to be in it to the end and I hope they win their division. I've like them since the Charlie Finley days, Rudi, Jackson, Bando Vido Blue and "Catfish".

The Cards won last night in 11 innings with Goldy a 2 run homer and O'Neill a 3 run shot in the 11th. KK with a solid 5 1/3 innings and 1 run. However Goldy and Tyler would not had a chance except for Harrison Bader on the bath paths. Lead off the 8th with a solid single, then went to 2nd on a walk to pinch hitter. He then tagged up and went to 3rd on a fly ball by Tommy Edman and tagged up on a fly ball by Carlson to tie the game at 1-1. Cardinal relievers, Helsley, Whitley, Gallego and Reyes went 5 2/3 innings; 0 runs, 1 hit 5 bbs. Reyes got the win going 2 innings, 0 runs, 3 bbs and struck out 5 of the 6 outs he recorded. His ERA is now 0.47 and he's a perfect 10 out of 10 in save opportunities. The 26th year old is getting the job done.

The next 2 games should be good low scoring games. Tonight John Gant goes for the good guys(Cards) vs. Woodruff(Brewers). Gant is 2-3 with a 2.15 ERA but he's had control problems the last two games. He's issued 11 walks in those two games and has issued 24 walks compared to 25 ks this early season. On the other side of the ledger, Woodruff has a 1.73 ERA and is 2-1. He has 51 ks and only walked 11. In the 3rd game of this series, Jack Flaherty goes for the Cards and Corbin Burnes goes for the Brewers. In my opinion Jack and Corbin are the top hurlers for each team. Jack is 6-0, 2.83 era, WHIP= 0.94, 42 ks and 11 walks. Corbin is 2-2, 1.53 era, WHIP 0.55, 49ks and 0 walks. Since giving up 6 earned runs in a cold Cincinnati opener, Jack's given up a total of 13 runs in his next 6 starts. The Brewers will be looking to get closer to the league leading Cards and the Cardinals will be looking to put more distance between them and the Brew Crew.

GoRedbirds!

Cool play in the bottom of the 9th of the Yanks-Rays game last night. Yanks up 3-1, Rays have a runner on first, Chapman on the mound. Chapman throws a fastball past Sanchez so the runner takes off. Ball rebounds off the back wall and comes right back to Sanchez, who catches it, turns and throws it 83.9 mph to second to get the runner. I have never seen a ball come back to a catcher so cleanly before, and between the speed of the pitch, the speed of the rebound and the speed of Sanchez's catch and throw, they got the runner (close call - replay confirmed it). Sanchez also hit a homer to get his average up to .178.

https://www.mlb.com/rays/video/gary-...row?t=statcast

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    As you posted, the Cards and Giants are 22-14(.611) and that's the best record in the majors in this still young season. The White Sox are; 20-13(.606). The A's are going to be in it to the end and I hope they win their division. I've like them since the Charlie Finley days, Rudi, Jackson, Bando Vido Blue and "Catfish".

The Cards won last night in 11 innings with Goldy a 2 run homer and O'Neill a 3 run shot in the 11th. KK with a solid 5 1/3 innings and 1 run. However Goldy and Tyler would not had a chance except for Harrison Bader on the bath paths. Lead off the 8th with a solid single, then went to 2nd on a walk to pinch hitter. He then tagged up and went to 3rd on a fly ball by Tommy Edman and tagged up on a fly ball by Carlson to tie the game at 1-1. Cardinal relievers, Helsley, Whitley, Gallego and Reyes went 5 2/3 innings; 0 runs, 1 hit 5 bbs. Reyes got the win going 2 innings, 0 runs, 3 bbs and struck out 5 of the 6 outs he recorded. His ERA is now 0.47 and he's a perfect 10 out of 10 in save opportunities. The 26th year old is getting the job done.

The next 2 games should be good low scoring games. Tonight John Gant goes for the good guys(Cards) vs. Woodruff(Brewers). Gant is 2-3 with a 2.15 ERA but he's had control problems the last two games. He's issued 11 walks in those two games and has issued 24 walks compared to 25 ks this early season. On the other side of the ledger, Woodruff has a 1.73 ERA and is 2-1. He has 51 ks and only walked 11. In the 3rd game of this series, Jack Flaherty goes for the Cards and Corbin Burnes goes for the Brewers. In my opinion Jack and Corbin are the top hurlers for each team. Jack is 6-0, 2.83 era, WHIP= 0.94, 42 ks and 11 walks. Corbin is 2-2, 1.53 era, WHIP 0.55, 49ks and 0 walks. Since giving up 6 earned runs in a cold Cincinnati opener, Jack's given up a total of 13 runs in his next 6 starts. The Brewers will be looking to get closer to the league leading Cards and the Cardinals will be looking to put more distance between them and the Brew Crew.

GoRedbirds!
    Great post. Mike Shildt is now 184-141 as manager of the St. Louis Cardinals in regular season games.

2018 - 41-28 after Matheny was fired
    2019- 91-71 and a trip to the NLCS
    2020 - 30-28 and a loss in the wild card round of the playoffs
    2021 - 22-14

Great post. Mike Shildt is now 184-141 as manager of the St. Louis Cardinals in regular season games.

2018 - 41-28 after Matheny was fired
    2019- 91-71 and a trip to the NLCS
    2020 - 30-28 and a loss in the wild card round of the playoffs
    2021 - 22-14
    Good facts on Mike Shildt. A young preacher friend out of our church accepted an offer to pastor a church in Archdale, NC. We communicate once in a while and he told me that Mike Shildt visited his church with a good friend who's a member at his church. This was pretty soon after Mike had been promoted to Manager of the Cardinals. My preacher friend is a Cardinal fan like me and was like me disappointed in the foul mouth message he gave to his team after winning the division in 2019. However he and I both are not going to be the ones that throw the first stone. I think Mike's done a very good job but there are some Cardinal fans that wouldn't give Jesus a passing grade if He was the manager of the team.

The Cubs just lost 2-1 in 10 innings in Cleveland to the Indians.

That’s the 3rd consecutive loss for the Cubs who fall to 17-19 and 5 games behind the NL Central leading St. Louis Cardinals.