Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Hopefully the Padres bench strength will come through for the next week. Covid Strikes .. Four starters out, Tatis , Myres, Hosmer, Profar, and Mateo off the bench.

Padres won last night, but the Cards are a very good team. Wainwright vs Paddack . Paddack still scares me on the mound. Last outing was 3 shutout innings.
    Paddack had his fastball working last time out. It will be interesting to see if that continues.

Hopefully Machado’s hitting against the Cardinals continues.

The Los Angeles Dodgers and Hall of Fame first baseman Albert Pujols are in agreement on a major league contract, sources told ESPN on Saturday, confirming a report by the Los Angeles Times.

Pujols, in the last year of his 10-year, $240 million contract, was designated for assignment by the Los Angeles Angels last week and was officially released on Thursday.

Pujols, 41, would seemingly be coming in for a part-time role. Max Muncy has started 32 of the Dodgers' first 38 games at first base, but he also provides the versatility to help at third base and second base, which would open up some playing time for Pujols at first base.

The Dodgers entered Saturday with a .663 OPS against opposing left-handed pitchers this season, 136 points less than the team's OPS against righties.

Pujols, one of the best right-handed-hitters in baseball history, could help with that. Pujols was batting only .198/.250/.372 in his first 92 plate appearances this season, but his .513 expected slugging percentage suggested he had also been running into some bad luck.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...al-sources-say

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Max Moroff, 28 year old player (switch hitter) at Memphis has been called up. He's been hot in games at AAA. He's hitting .538, 4 homers, .647 OBP, 1.769 OPS. Max can play 3rd, 2nd and SS. He did pinch hit in Friday's loss and KO'd. Another option is 27 year old Jose Rondon at Memphis. Jose had a hot Spring Training and was considered for the opening day roster. He's hitting, .256, 4 homers, .304 OBP, .886 OPS. These are two other options available for the SS position while Dejong is injured.

GoRedbirds!
    Moroff is getting the start tonight at 2B and batting in the 7 hole.

The Tigers just walked off on the Cubs in Detroit 9-8 in 10 innings. 2 runs in the bottom of the 10th. Blown save and the loss for Kimbrel. The Cubs are bad this year. They are now 18-20 and 4.5 games back of the NL Central division leading St. Louis Cardinals.

So Matt Carpenter was the Cardinals best pitcher last night. That ain’t good.

Only Cardinal bright spots in loss to the Padres: 1) Homers by Bader, Arenado and Molina 2) Carpenter finds his spot on the team; bullpen. The veteran was the only Cardinal pitcher that didn't allow a run in the 13-3 loss.

Next play!
    GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    So Matt Carpenter was the Cardinals best pitcher last night. That ain’t good.
    Yeah, last night was a rough one to watch for Cardinals fans. Hats off to the Padres for taking the series. Pham (former Cardinal), Kim, and Nola all hit HRs for San Diego off Wainwright and the Cardinals never were really in the game after that. Edman and O’Neill had good defensive plays but a blowout overall.

Arenado stayed hot with another solo HR. He’s now hitting .295 with 8 HR and 26 RBI. Yadi also hit a solo HR and he’s now hitting .295 with 6 HR and 20 RBI. Bader also hit his 4th HR of the season and went 2-4. He’s hitting .280.

The Cardinals will look to avoid the sweep in San Diego tonight on Sunday night baseball. Kwang Hyun Kim gets the start for the Cardinals opposite Ryan Weathers. Game time is set for 6:08 CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Padres continue to play well against some of the best NL competition. ( other than the Brewers who swept us ) .

We need to get healthy ( covid ) . But this make shift line up is stepping up .

It's a long season.

Padres complete sweep of the Redbirds with a 5-3 win yesterday. The Cardinal pitching staff continued their tendency to issue walks to the opposing hitters. Total of 8 in yesterdays game. KK had not issued a walk to a right handed hitter since September 2020 but in this game he gave up 2 bbs to righty hitters(3 total bbs). The Cardinal bullpen has been just as bad if not worse. The bullpen walk rate is 15.1 for the year. This is the worst walk rate for a bullpen since 1969. Home Plate umpire, Greg Gibson was very in-consistent in calling ball and strikes for both teams. Had I been manager, I probably would have been kicking dust on home plate after my ejection. I long for the day major league baseball goes to automated balls and strikes. Umpires just aren't consistent in calling them.

Nolan Arenado continued his hot hitting with 2 hits with one being his 3rd homer in as many days. In his last 7 games, his stats: .379 avg, 4 homers, .400 OBP, .862 SLG. However his throwing error cost KK and the Cards 3 unearned runs. Left fielder, Tyler O'Neill had a ball go over his head that had a 99% chance of being caught. The Cardinal defense which is usually very good, let the team down yesterday.

The NL Central race: Cards first at 23-18, Brewers=21-20, Reds= 19-19, Cubbies= 19-20 and Bucs= 17-23. It's going to be a close race the entire year in my opinion.

Cards off today and then home games: 2 with the Pirates. Game 1: Gant vs. Brubaker, Game 2: Flaherty vs. Cahilll. Another day off Wednesday and then 3 at home with the Cubbies. Starters TBD. Miles Mikolas may be ready for the Cub series. He pitched 6 shutout innings and homered in a rehab start for Memphis this weekend. Johan Oviedo will probably be the odd man out as he's been very inconsistent with his command. Carlos Martinez should be recovered from his ankle injury pretty soon. The envisioned starting rotation will probably be: Flaherty, KK, Waino, Miles Mikolas and Carlos Martinez. Hopefully they will be able to throw more strikes than balls.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Padres complete sweep of the Redbirds with a 5-3 win yesterday. The Cardinal pitching staff continued their tendency to issue walks to the opposing hitters. Total of 8 in yesterdays game. KK had not issued a walk to a right handed hitter since September 2020 but in this game he gave up 2 bbs to righty hitters(3 total bbs). The Cardinal bullpen has been just as bad if not worse. The bullpen walk rate is 15.1 for the year. This is the worst walk rate for a bullpen since 1969. Home Plate umpire, Greg Gibson was very in-consistent in calling ball and strikes for both teams. Had I been manager, I probably would have been kicking dust on home plate after my ejection. I long for the day major league baseball goes to automated balls and strikes. Umpires just aren't consistent in calling them.

Nolan Arenado continued his hot hitting with 2 hits with one being his 3rd homer in as many days. In his last 7 games, his stats: .379 avg, 4 homers, .400 OBP, .862 SLG. However his throwing error cost KK and the Cards 3 unearned runs. Left fielder, Tyler O'Neill had a ball go over his head that had a 99% chance of being caught. The Cardinal defense which is usually very good, let the team down yesterday.

The NL Central race: Cards first at 23-18, Brewers=21-20, Reds= 19-19, Cubbies= 19-20 and Bucs= 17-23. It's going to be a close race the entire year in my opinion.

Cards off today and then home games: 2 with the Pirates. Game 1: Gant vs. Brubaker, Game 2: Flaherty vs. Cahilll. Another day off Wednesday and then 3 at home with the Cubbies. Starters TBD. Miles Mikolas may be ready for the Cub series. He pitched 6 shutout innings and homered in a rehab start for Memphis this weekend. Johan Oviedo will probably be the odd man out as he's been very inconsistent with his command. Carlos Martinez should be recovered from his ankle injury pretty soon. The envisioned starting rotation will probably be: Flaherty, KK, Waino, Miles Mikolas and Carlos Martinez. Hopefully they will be able to throw more strikes than balls.

GoRedbirds!
    A poor showing most of the weekend for the Cardinals. Also, hats off to the Padres. That’s a good club over there. Gold glovers Arenado and O’Neill with rare errors last night. Yadi did throw a guy out from his knees at second base which was cool to see. Moroff and Carlson had a nasty collision in shallow right field going for a pop up that resulted in Carlson’s elbow striking Moroff in the mouth. Moroff had a gnarly looking fat lip afterward. Just a sloppy play and showing for the defense this weekend. Need to get back on the saddle Tuesday vs the Bucs after an off day.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    A poor showing most of the weekend for the Cardinals. Also, hats off to the Padres. That’s a good club over there. Gold glovers Arenado and O’Neill with rare errors last night. Yadi did throw a guy out from his knees at second base which was cool to see. Moroff and Carlson had a nasty collision in shallow right field going for a pop up that resulted in Carlson’s elbow striking Moroff in the mouth. Moroff had a gnarly looking fat lip afterward. Just a sloppy play and showing for the defense this weekend. Need to get back on the saddle Tuesday vs the Bucs after an off day.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Baseball is so weird. The Padres hosted the Brewers at full strength in April and got swept. The Cardinals come to town and the Padres have to call up minor leaguers to field a team, and the Friars end up sweeping.

On the Arenado error, I suspect Manny would have been safe regardless, but I suppose there is no way to know so one can’t quibble too much with giving an error there.

We’ll see you Cards fans in St. Louis in September.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Baseball is so weird. The Padres hosted the Brewers at full strength in April and got swept. The Cardinals come to town and the Padres have to call up minor leaguers to field a team, and the Friars end up sweeping.

On the Arenado error, I suspect Manny would have been safe regardless, but I suppose there is no way to know so one can’t quibble too much with giving an error there.

We’ll see you Cards fans in St. Louis in September.
    Yes. Sept In St Louis. And a lot can happen between now and then . Hoping the Padres are in the NL West race , ok, hoping they are crushing the dogers.

Padres have a very challenging schedule then.. Maybe all teams do.

Sept 10 - 12, 3 games @ the dogers
    Sept 13- 16 4 games @ SF
    Sept 17- 19 3 games @ St L
    Sept 21-23 3 games SF
    Sept 24-26 3 game Atl
    Sept 28-30 dogers
    Oct 1-3 . 3 games SF

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Yes. Sept In St Louis. And a lot can happen between now and then . Hoping the Padres are in the NL West race , ok, hoping they are crushing the dogers.

Padres have a very challenging schedule then.. Maybe all teams do.

Sept 10 - 12, 3 games @ the dogers
    Sept 13- 16 4 games @ SF
    Sept 17- 19 3 games @ St L
    Sept 21-23 3 games SF
    Sept 24-26 3 game Atl
    Sept 28-30 dogers
    Oct 1-3 . 3 games SF
    The Cardinals sure have a tough closing schedule.

Brewers away for 7 games at home for 3 games
    Dodgers at home for 4 games
    Padres at home for 3
    Cubbies 3 away and then Oct 1-3 at home.
    I expect the Brewers, Dodgers and Padres will make the playoffs and I like the Padres chances of winning the NL West. If they need help, their front office is not afraid to spend money and they have some good young players that will be good trade bait.

GoRedbirds!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Tough RBI for Kevin Millar of the Mets. Bases loaded, 2 outs, 2 strikes, gets hit flush in the nose with a fastball by the Braves’ pitcher Jacob Webb. Still waiting for the grounds crew to clear off the blood from the batter’s box.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Tough RBI for Kevin Millar of the Mets. Bases loaded, 2 outs, 2 strikes, gets hit flush in the nose with a fastball by the Braves’ pitcher Jacob Webb. Still waiting for the grounds crew to clear off the blood from the batter’s box.
    I had to walk into the other room when I saw the blood streaming down. And I’m not squeamish.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I had to walk into the other room when I saw the blood streaming down. And I’m not squeamish.
    And, of course, I typed the wrong Kevin. It’s Kevin Pillar who just got hit. kevin Millar’s a little old to be still playing. (Both did play for the Red Sox for a while.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    And, of course, I typed the wrong Kevin. It’s Kevin Pillar who just got hit. kevin Millar’s a little old to be still playing. (Both did play for the Red Sox for a while.)
    Absolutely brutal. 94 right to the nose. I felt so bad for him seeing it live. I honestly teared up a bit for the man. Just a scary situation. It was good to see him walk off the field on his own two feet and I am praying for the best prognosis and that he retains all of his senses like sight and smell. That was one of the nastier hit by pitches to the head/face I’ve ever seen. Caught him flush and the amount of blood that was pouring out of his nose was grotesque. Gosh, poor, poor guy. Seeing the grounds crew scraping the blood out of the batter’s box was like watching hockey ice attendants scrape blood out of the ice. Except you see that sort of thing happen more often in hockey.

I will be praying for the best for that guy.

Just like that!

Sweet Spencer Turnbull throws a no hitter for the Tigs in Seattle!
    Joy in Tiger Town!!!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The St. Louis Cardinals got back into the win column last night, defeating the visiting Pittsburgh Pirates 5-2 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The win snapped a 3 game losing streak and improved the record of the Cardinals to 24-18.

Nolan Arenado homered for the Cardinals for the 4th consecutive game, becoming the first Cardinal third basemen to achieve the feat since Scott Rolen in 2002. Arenado was 2-3 on the night and is now hitting .307 with 10 HRs and 30 RBI this season, all of which have come away from Coors Field, his previous home ballpark. It appears he can still hit in non-Coors Field ballparks.

Dylan Carlson and Yadier Molina were also 2-4. Carlson is batting .287 this year and Molina is batting .302.

John Gant got the win for the Cardinals, pitching 5.1 innings allowing 5 hits, 2 ER, while walking 1 batter and striking out 3. He left the game in the fifth inning after being hit with a line drive on the heel of his left (non-pitching) hand just below his glove. He is now 3-3 with a 2.04 ERA.

Alex Reyes earned his 12th save in 12 chances to go along with a 0.41 ERA. The 12 saves are 2nd best in the MLB.

The Cardinals go for the series win and sweep tonight at 6:45 pm CT at Busch Stadium. The Cardinals will send NL Cy Young award front runner Jack Flaherty to the hill opposite Trevor Cahill.

Let’s Go Redbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Sweet Spencer Turnbull throws a no hitter for the Tigs in Seattle!
    Joy in Tiger Town!!!
    That was a heck of a game pitched and feat. The Tigers needed something to inject some excitement into that club. What a game.