Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 922

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    2021 MLB Season

    Holy smokes, folks! Itís Opening Day!

    The great John Fogerty in the great 1985 hit ďCenterfieldĒ sang:

    Well uh beat the drum and hold the phone
    The sun came out today
    We're born again, there's new grass on the field
    A-roundin' third, I'm headed for home
    It's a brown-eyed handsome man
    Anyone can understand the way I feel

    Letís go St. Louis Cardinals!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    One of the best days of the year. Go Cardinals!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    It's definitely about time. I so love baseball and have totally missed all the baseball conversations with Mr Sumner and Mr. Featherston from back in the day when spring training rolled around during basketball season.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Hoping for a good year for my Metsies. LGM.

    Good to have an owner who will actually spend and not treat the franchise like a small-market team.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Hoping for a good year for my Metsies. LGM.

    Good to have an owner who will actually spend and not treat the franchise like a small-market team.
    Most experts who have made predictions that Iíve watched or heard have picked the Mets to win the NL East this year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Most experts who have made predictions that Iíve watched or heard have picked the Mets to win the NL East this year.
    Really, most of what I've seen has the Braves edging them out. Either way the NL East is stacked this year. I'm a Braves fan, have been since I was a kid, and I'm hoping the arms we added to the rotation will get us over the hump this year. The problem is the Dodgers, Padres and Mets are all as good or better so whoever comes out of the NL this year is going to have to earn it.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Really, most of what I've seen has the Braves edging them out. Either way the NL East is stacked this year. I'm a Braves fan, have been since I was a kid, and I'm hoping the arms we added to the rotation will get us over the hump this year. The problem is the Dodgers, Padres and Mets are all as good or better so whoever comes out of the NL this year is going to have to earn it.
    Most (not all) predictions Iíve read have gone with the NYM to win the NL East. I guess Mark DeRosa picked the Braves to win it all on MLB Network earlier today. The Braves are loaded. It will be nice to have Soroka back. Everyone has to get through the Dodgers. The Braves are good but the Dodgers to me are head and shoulders better than anyone in the NL. The Braves in the playoffs just canít get over the hump, too. Canít believe itís been 26 years since their last (only) World Series title now. For the longest time they couldnít even win a playoff series. I like Snitker as their manager, paid his dues in the organization and has been rewarded with a club that can compete for a title. Thatís all you can ask for.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Mets-Natís game postponed due to Covid.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Mets-Natís game postponed due to Covid.
    Gut punch. Was so looking forward to Scherzer - DeGrom tonight, and a COVID cancellation gives me panic flashbacks to last season's mess.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Tigers beat the Indians despite a heroic attempt by the bullpen to blow it...must photograph the standings tomorrow.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Unfortunately watched the end of the Yanks losing in 10 to the Blue Jays. I still need to get used to the rule putting a runner on second in extra innings - I was thinking "did I miss something? Where did he come from?"

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Unfortunately watched the end of the Yanks losing in 10 to the Blue Jays. I still need to get used to the rule putting a runner on second in extra innings - I was thinking "did I miss something? Where did he come from?"
    Same. Hate that rule.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Unfortunately watched the end of the Yanks losing in 10 to the Blue Jays. I still need to get used to the rule putting a runner on second in extra innings - I was thinking "did I miss something? Where did he come from?"
    I didn't know about this rule change - it stinks!

  14. #14
    Go, Royals! They (knock wood) haven't lost a series so far this year.

    And I still love Salvy - walk off home run in the second game on Saturday, 2 run home run in the bottom of the 7th on Sunday (after the Royals had left 10 men on base).

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Go, Royals! They (knock wood) haven't lost a series so far this year.

    And I still love Salvy - walk off home run in the second game on Saturday, 2 run home run in the bottom of the 7th on Sunday (after the Royals had left 10 men on base).
    Youíre welcome for Mike Matheny

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Is there anything more pathetic than the Tigers on a West Coast road trip...? (this is a rhetorical question) If they had relegation in MLB, the Tigers would be playing the Ipswich Clams in the Cape Cod League (and would probably lose).

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Is there anything more pathetic than the Tigers on a West Coast road trip...? (this is a rhetorical question) If they had relegation in MLB, the Tigers would be playing the Ipswich Clams in the Cape Cod League (and would probably lose).
    Tigers fan, eh? I remember having the discussion with a friend around 2014 that Miguel Cabrera may likely end his career as the best hitter ever. He was 31 and on pace at the time for 700+ HRs and easily 3,000 hits. Injuries have really derailed his career since then. When healthy, he still arguably is the best hitter in the game. But he just canít stay healthy these last several seasons. I saw heís already injured his bicep this year and hasnít played much lately. I still think he will get to 500 HRs but not 600 in his career. He has a good shot at 3,000 hits still, too, but needs to stay healthy. Crazy to me now that the Tigers gave him an 8 year deal at 33, but hindsight is 20-20. He is still a beast but anyone that is injured that much and making that much money must be frustrating to watch as a fan. Hope he can get back soon. I honestly donít recognize many other players on the Tigers roster, but a few.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Tigers fan, eh? I remember having the discussion with a friend around 2014 that Miguel Cabrera may likely end his career as the best hitter ever. He was 31 and on pace at the time for 700+ HRs and easily 3,000 hits. Injuries have really derailed his career since then. When healthy, he still arguably is the best hitter in the game. But he just canít stay healthy these last several seasons. I saw heís already injured his bicep this year and hasnít played much lately. I still think he will get to 500 HRs but not 600 in his career. He has a good shot at 3,000 hits still, too, but needs to stay healthy. Crazy to me now that the Tigers gave him an 8 year deal at 33, but hindsight is 20-20. He is still a beast but anyone that is injured that much and making that much money must be frustrating to watch as a fan. Hope he can get back soon. I honestly donít recognize many other players on the Tigers roster, but a few.
    I don't know if I'm being too harsh on Miguel or not, but it doesn't seem like he focuses much on keeping himself in shape, which is imperative when you're his age. Indeed, in his prime, he was fearsome, he could hit the ball out of the park to any field, and did so routinely...

    I don't recognize the names on the roster now; the Tigers blew their chance when they had, somewhat unbelievably, Scherzer, Verlander, Price and Porcello on the same staff (along with a pretty solid Sanchez...)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Tigers fan, eh? I remember having the discussion with a friend around 2014 that Miguel Cabrera may likely end his career as the best hitter ever. He was 31 and on pace at the time for 700+ HRs and easily 3,000 hits. Injuries have really derailed his career since then. When healthy, he still arguably is the best hitter in the game. But he just canít stay healthy these last several seasons. I saw heís already injured his bicep this year and hasnít played much lately. I still think he will get to 500 HRs but not 600 in his career. He has a good shot at 3,000 hits still, too, but needs to stay healthy. Crazy to me now that the Tigers gave him an 8 year deal at 33, but hindsight is 20-20. He is still a beast but anyone that is injured that much and making that much money must be frustrating to watch as a fan. Hope he can get back soon. I honestly donít recognize many other players on the Tigers roster, but a few.
    Mighty Tigers update! They've lost 10 of 11 (I think), Miguel Cabrera's line is now .105 batting avg., .177 on base, .228 "slugging." Of the nine guys in last night's starting lineup, eight were batting below .221, most under .200.

    I can only assume the GM can't be fired because the owners lost his phone number.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Mighty Tigers update! They've lost 10 of 11 (I think), Miguel Cabrera's line is now .105 batting avg., .177 on base, .228 "slugging." Of the nine guys in last night's starting lineup, eight were batting below .221, most under .200.

    I can only assume the GM can't be fired because the owners lost his phone number.
    Hard to believe the Tigers last won a World Series almost 37 years ago in 1984. They had a good shot in 06 to win it all. That team won 95 games in the regular season that year. They had another good team in 2012. I liked Leyland and how heíd burn through a pack of heaters in the dugout during games, especially when his bullpen would make things interesting late in games.

Similar Threads

  1. Lax: The 2021 Season
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 970
    Last Post: 06-07-2021, 08:31 PM
  2. NFL Playoffs 2021
    By Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 573
    Last Post: 02-09-2021, 03:22 PM
  3. 2021 MLB Hot Stove
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-07-2021, 08:55 AM
  4. Can we just move to 2021 right now?
    By dudog84 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 01-09-2021, 09:26 AM
  5. Whoís your surprise player for the 2020-2021 season?
    By Jaks19 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-19-2020, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •