Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

One other thing I’ve wanted to post about is that a classmate and friend of mine, Devin Gordon, has written a book about the NY Mets - So Many Ways To Lose.

The book is fantastic and I say that as a Yankees fan who sometimes felt like the Yankee bashing in there was a bit excessive (fans of other franchises will enjoy that part). The book details the ethos of the Mets fan and includes many great details and stories from the team’s past. I truly can not say enough good things about it.

The Cubs swept a double header from the Dodgers yesterday at Wrigley. The Cubbies hung a loss on Kershaw in the first game and Bauer got a no decision in the second game. The Dodgers are now 17-14 and a game and a half behind the NL West leading San Francisco Giants. The Dodgers are 2-8 in their last 10 games. A bit of a mediocre start for the defending World Series champions through their first 31 games with 131 games remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    One other thing I’ve wanted to post about is that a classmate and friend of mine, Devin Gordon, has written a book about the NY Mets - So Many Ways To Lose.

The book is fantastic and I say that as a Yankees fan who sometimes felt like the Yankee bashing in there was a bit excessive (fans of other franchises will enjoy that part). The book details the ethos of the Mets fan and includes many great details and stories from the team’s past. I truly can not say enough good things about it.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I may check it out. I really enjoy a good baseball book. Is it on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble?

Rain out!

Since the Cards-Mets game was rained out, I had some time on my hands and I took a look at some of the Cardinal prospects in their season openers. Nolan Gorman #2 rated prospect went 0-4. Jordan Walker, #6 went 2-4 with a homer. #5 Masyn Winn went 0-4 with 3 strikeouts. Winn is an intriguing prospect who is a SS/RHP. The Cardinals want him to do both if he can be productive doing both. #1 prospect Matthew Liberatore, LHP didn't start the opener for AA Memphis. The Cardinals have a decision to make with Gorman and Walker. Both play 3rd base and currently that spot is occupied by one Nolan Arenado in the majors and he says he loves the Cardinal organization and the Cardinal fans. so, if he remains in St. Louis, Walker and Winn will need to change positions or they could be used as trade chips in the future. Gorman worked out at 2nd base in the Spring.

Oh, the other day I said the Cardinals had hit 3 run homers in 3 straight games. I was mistaken as they've hit 3 run homers in 5 straight games. The last team to do that was the SF Giants in 2000.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation. I may check it out. I really enjoy a good baseball book. Is it on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble?
    Fellow friend of Devin and Yanks fan (sorry I can't spork you, acdevil). I am the outlier in a family of Mets fans (dad was the rare NY Giants fan from Brooklyn, mom was a Dodgers fan from Brooklyn). I haven't read the book yet but I am hoping to do so soon as it sounds like fun. I believe he used a major publisher and it is in wide distribution so I'm sure it is on Amazon and/or Barnes and Noble.

Devin actually did a zoom event for Chronicle alums last night and talked about how his experience as a Duke fan helps him to get inside the head of Yankees fans.

Of course, I always counter that as a Yankees fan who became interested as a young kid when they went to the 1981 world series, I did not exactly lead the privileged life that many associate with us - Steinbrenner found new and creative ways to screw up the team for my entire youth as they didn't make the playoffs for 14 years until 1995. Obviously, they more than made up for it the next few years but that was a rough stretch, especially with the Mets having some success.

Yes, it is.

Tigers fan, eh? I remember having the discussion with a friend around 2014 that Miguel Cabrera may likely end his career as the best hitter ever. He was 31 and on pace at the time for 700+ HRs and easily 3,000 hits. Injuries have really derailed his career since then. When healthy, he still arguably is the best hitter in the game. But he just can’t stay healthy these last several seasons. I saw he’s already injured his bicep this year and hasn’t played much lately. I still think he will get to 500 HRs but not 600 in his career. He has a good shot at 3,000 hits still, too, but needs to stay healthy. Crazy to me now that the Tigers gave him an 8 year deal at 33, but hindsight is 20-20. He is still a beast but anyone that is injured that much and making that much money must be frustrating to watch as a fan. Hope he can get back soon. I honestly don’t recognize many other players on the Tigers roster, but a few.
    Mighty Tigers update! They've lost 10 of 11 (I think), Miguel Cabrera's line is now .105 batting avg., .177 on base, .228 "slugging." Of the nine guys in last night's starting lineup, eight were batting below .221, most under .200.

I can only assume the GM can't be fired because the owners lost his phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Mighty Tigers update! They've lost 10 of 11 (I think), Miguel Cabrera's line is now .105 batting avg., .177 on base, .228 "slugging." Of the nine guys in last night's starting lineup, eight were batting below .221, most under .200.

I can only assume the GM can't be fired because the owners lost his phone number.
    Hard to believe the Tigers last won a World Series almost 37 years ago in 1984. They had a good shot in 06 to win it all. That team won 95 games in the regular season that year. They had another good team in 2012. I liked Leyland and how he’d burn through a pack of heaters in the dugout during games, especially when his bullpen would make things interesting late in games.

Hard to believe the Tigers last won a World Series almost 37 years ago in 1984. They had a good shot in 06 to win it all. That team won 95 games in the regular season that year. They had another good team in 2012. I liked Leyland and how he’d burn through a pack of heaters in the dugout during games, especially when his bullpen would make things interesting late in games.
    Ha, evidently he's still ticking, despite the smokes. I used to watch Hank Aaron in Atlanta enjoy his smokes in the dugout, too.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, evidently he's still ticking, despite the smokes. I used to watch Hank Aaron in Atlanta enjoy his smokes in the dugout, too.
    Not MLB, but I always loved this photo of Len Dawson smoking at halftime of Super Bowl I

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAJ

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Not MLB, but I always loved this photo of Len Dawson smoking at halftime of Super Bowl I

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAJ
    I always liked the pictures of Tour de France cyclists smoking in early years. The original anti-doping.

Orioles southpaw John Means is taking a perfect game into the bottom of the 8th in Seattle with 9 Ks on 85 pitches ...

Os southpaw John Means now has a perfect game thru 8 innings at Seattle on 101 pitches ...

Os southpaw John Means now has a perfect game thru 8 innings at Seattle on 101 pitches ...
    He did it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    He did it.
    Yep no hitter and not a perfect game. Although no errors occurred or hits allowed, Means struck out one batter but on a wild pitch and the batter got to first base and was eventually caught stealing. Kind of a technicality but a no hitter and not a perfect game. What a day for Means.

Yep no hitter and not a perfect game. Although no errors occurred or hits allowed, Means struck out one batter but on a wild pitch and the batter got to first base and was eventually caught stealing. Kind of a technicality but a no hitter and not a perfect game. What a day for Means.
    Oops...I didn't see that initially. Still impressive.

The St. Louis Cardinals won their 6th game in a row today, defeating the New York Mets 4-1 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 18-12. The game was a 7 inning contest as part of a doubleheader being played vs the Mets today. Game 2 is set for about 35 minutes from now.

The Cardinals were led offensively by Paul Goldschmidt who hit his 4th HR of the season and Paul DeJong who hit his 7th HR of the season. Alex Reyes earned his 9th save in 9 opportunities to go along with a 0.00 ERA. Former Duke pitcher Marcus Stroman was credited with the loss for the Mets. The Mets fell to two games below .500 at 11-13.

The win pushed the Cardinals into sole possession of 1st place in the NL Central, 1 game up on the 2nd place Milwaukee Brewers. The Cardinals also now feature the NL’s best overall record and winning percentage (.600).

Game 2 will feature Johan Oviedo getting the start for the Cardinals opposite Miguel Castro for the Mets.

Let’s Go Redbirds!

That has to be as close to a perfect game as you can get without recording one. Has there ever been another 27-up, 27-down that didn’t qualify?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    That has to be as close to a perfect game as you can get without recording one. Has there ever been another 27-up, 27-down that didn’t qualify?
    Didn't Harvey Haddix have a no hitter and maybe a perfect game for something like 12 innings only to lose it?

The St. Louis Cardinals won their 6th game in a row today, defeating the New York Mets 4-1 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 18-12. The game was a 7 inning contest as part of a doubleheader being played vs the Mets today. Game 2 is set for about 35 minutes from now.

The Cardinals were led offensively by Paul Goldschmidt who hit his 4th HR of the season and Paul DeJong who hit his 7th HR of the season. Alex Reyes earned his 9th save in 9 opportunities to go along with a 0.00 ERA. Former Duke pitcher Marcus Stroman was credited with the loss for the Mets. The Mets fell to two games below .500 at 11-13.

The win pushed the Cardinals into sole possession of 1st place in the NL Central, 1 game up on the 2nd place Milwaukee Brewers. The Cardinals also now feature the NL’s best overall record and winning percentage (.600).

Game 2 will feature Johan Oviedo getting the start for the Cardinals opposite Miguel Castro for the Mets.

Let’s Go Redbirds!
    Oviedo done in by 3 bad pitches that cost him 4 earned runs. Cards lose 7-2. 4th game of the series this afternoon. John Gant on the hill for the Cards and Taijuan Walker for the Mets. Game time 1:15.