Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Slam Diego!

Cards waste a very good start by John Gant. Gant goes 5 innings giving up one unearned run due to an error by centerfielder, Harrison Bader. Gant lowered his era to 1.83. The loss went to Ryan Helsley who gave up 3 runs in his 2/3 innings of relief in the 8th inning. Two unusual plays turned the game in favor of the Brewers. In the 6th inning with the game tied(0-0) Gant hits the leadoff hitter, Cain, Gant then walks the next hitter putting runners on 1st and 2nd. Travis Shaw then lifts a ball to the centerfield warning track where Harrison Bader get's to the ball but the ground gives way and Bader falls down. However Bader makes the catch on his knees. In his haste to get the ball back into the infield trying to keep Cain from tagging up and going to 3rd, he loses control of the ball. Cain is alert and not only tagged up and went to 3rd, he scores on the play. Game now 1-0 Brewers. In the top of the 8th inning the Cardinals tie the game with a homer from Tyler O'Neill. Now for the 2nd crazy play in the bottom half of the inning. Ryan Helsley get's first two hitters out. He then strikes out the next hitter which should have ended the 8th inning and the game still tied. The problem is on the swing and miss the 101mph pitch goes over Yadi's head and to the backstop. Would be strikeout hitter now on 1st. The Brewers take advantage of the missed out and get a double and homer to take a 4-1 lead which they hold on to. Cardinal SS, Paul Dejong had to leave the game early with stiffness in his side. Day to day.

Next Play: Jack Flaherty vs. Corbin Burnes today at 1:40pm. I expect another low scoring game with these two good pitchers on the hill. I expect the Cards and Brewers to fight it out all season.

Cards take the rubber game from the Brewers, 2-0. Jack Flaherty get's the win and goes to 7-0 on the season. Alex Reyes picks up his 11th save of the year. He struck out the side in the 11th. The Cardinals go back to 3 up on the Brew Crew. Now on to San Diego.

GoRedbirds!

The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Milwaukee Brewers 2-0 today in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the rubber match of the three game series between the two clubs. By winning the series 2-1, the Cardinals improved to 23-15 and are three games up on the Brewers for first place in the NL Central.

Jack Flaherty got the win to improve to 7-0. Flaherty is the first Cardinals pitcher to win seven straight starts since Matt Morris in 2001. The 6’4”, 225 lb 25 year old ace tossed 6 shutout innings allowing just 4 hits, walking two, and striking out 6. He lowered his ERA down to 2.47 in the process today. Alex Reyes earned his 11th save in 11 opportunities today and lowered his ERA to 0.45.

Flaherty is well on his way to 20 wins and a shot at the NL Cy Young award if he stays healthy.

The Cardinals will travel to San Diego where they’ll take on the Padres starting tomorrow in a 3 game series. Tomorrow, the Cardinals will send Johan Oviedo to the hill opposite Joe Musgrove. Game time is set for 9:10 pm CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Milwaukee Brewers 2-0 today in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the rubber match of the three game series between the two clubs. By winning the series 2-1, the Cardinals improved to 23-15 and are three games up on the Brewers for first place in the NL Central.

Jack Flaherty got the win to improve to 7-0. Flaherty is the first Cardinals pitcher to win seven straight starts since Matt Morris in 2001. The 6’4”, 225 lb 25 year old ace tossed 6 shutout innings allowing just 4 hits, walking two, and striking out 6. He lowered his ERA down to 2.47 in the process today. Alex Reyes earned his 11th save in 11 opportunities today and lowered his ERA to 0.45.

Flaherty is well on his way to 20 wins and a shot at the NL Cy Young award if he stays healthy.

The Cardinals will travel to San Diego where they’ll take on the Padres starting tomorrow in a 3 game series. Tomorrow, the Cardinals will send Johan Oviedo to the hill opposite Joe Musgrove. Game time is set for 9:10 pm CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Good recap of the game. I said before the series began that I thought this would be low scoring with the starters scheduled to pitch and the starters for both teams didn't disappoint. I thought before the season began that Milwaukee had the best starting pitching in the NL Central and I hoped the Cardinal staff would hang in there with them. So far, so good. When you think about it, St. Louis has Dakota Hudson(TJ surgery), Miles Mikolas and now Carlos Martinez on IL. Plus KK missed starts at the beginning of the season. I'm hoping Oviedo can pick up the slack until help arrives. We have 2 young lefties in Liberatore and Thompson in AAA who could help later in the season. I think next week the Cardinals will allow more fans in the stadium and that will help us in home games.

GoRedbirds!

The St. Louis Cardinals completed a 3 game sweep on the road at PNC Park today, defeating the Pittsburgh Pirates 3-0. The win was the 4th in a row for the Cardinals, pushing their record to 16-12. Carlos Martinez picked up the win to improve to 2-4, tossing 8 scoreless innings, allowing just 5 hits and walking 2 batters while striking out 3 batters. Harrison Bader, playing in his first series of the weekend since starting the year on the injured list, hit a 3 run HR. Alex Reyes earned his 7th save of the year to go with a 0.00 ERA. The 7 saves are tied for the 2nd most in Major League Baseball.

The Cardinals travel back to St. Louis where they’ll take on the New York Mets in a 4 game series starting tomorrow at Busch Stadium. Adam Wainwright gets the start tomorrow for St. Louis and the Mets haven’t announced a starting pitcher yet for tomorrow. Game time is set for 6:45 pm CT.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Just getting caught up; was at the game with Brother Turk and two of the young Turks. First time at a live sporting event since the last Duke game in MSG (November 2019, IIRC). Loved being back in PNC; nice showing by Cards fans despite listless effort from the Buccos. Even the pierogi races have been ruined by COVID - instead of the lap around the field; they start up on the Clemente Bridge and race to the entrance, removing the elbowing, tripping, and cheating that was such a part of the entertainment. Glad to be back in the ballpark (any ballpark) - great to be walking around the Old Sod, on a gorgeous day for baseball. Plus a Wonder Woman bobblehead (just in time for Mother's Day!!)

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Good recap of the game. I said before the series began that I thought this would be low scoring with the starters scheduled to pitch and the starters for both teams didn't disappoint. I thought before the season began that Milwaukee had the best starting pitching in the NL Central and I hoped the Cardinal staff would hang in there with them. So far, so good. When you think about it, St. Louis has Dakota Hudson(TJ surgery), Miles Mikolas and now Carlos Martinez on IL. Plus KK missed starts at the beginning of the season. I'm hoping Oviedo can pick up the slack until help arrives. We have 2 young lefties in Liberatore and Thompson in AAA who could help later in the season. I think next week the Cardinals will allow more fans in the stadium and that will help us in home games.

GoRedbirds!
    It will be a good series this weekend in San Diego. A road series on the west coast vs a good club who is currently 21-17. I hope Yadi can go because in order to beat the Padres, the Cardinals will need to slow down their running game on the base paths. They lead the majors with 41 stolen bases as a team. That’s 13 more than anyone else in the big leagues. Tatis, Jr., Grisham, Machado, and Profar all have 5 or more stolen bases already this year. They have a solid lineup led by Tatis, Jr. but he’s only hitting .240 this year and although he has 9 HR, he has just 14 RBI. He’s also struck out 29 times in 96 ABs. They hit just .233 as a team, and the Cardinals hit .231. They lead the majors in team ERA at 2.82. The Cardinals lead the majors with 158 walks so that will need to get better. No free passes to a team that likes to run. The Padres staff also is tied for the most strikeouts in the majors with the Brewers at 398. The Cardinals do avoid Darvish this series which should help their cause. Defensively, the Padres have committed the second most errors in baseball thus far with 30 to 21 for the Cardinals so the Cardinals should have a bit of an edge defensively.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Just getting caught up; was at the game with Brother Turk and two of the young Turks. First time at a live sporting event since the last Duke game in MSG (November 2019, IIRC). Loved being back in PNC; nice showing by Cards fans despite listless effort from the Buccos. Even the pierogi races have been ruined by COVID - instead of the lap around the field; they start up on the Clemente Bridge and race to the entrance, removing the elbowing, tripping, and cheating that was such a part of the entertainment. Glad to be back in the ballpark (any ballpark) - great to be walking around the Old Sod, on a gorgeous day for baseball. Plus a Wonder Woman bobblehead (just in time for Mother's Day!!)
    I have never made it to a game at PNC Park but consider it the most aesthetically pleasing stadium in baseball on TV.

I have never made it to a game at PNC Park but consider it the most aesthetically pleasing stadium in baseball on TV.
    My wife is from Pittsburgh so we go there fairly often - it is a great stadium. We got married in a hotel directly across the river in a ballroom with windows floor-to-ceiling windows facing the stadium at night during a game, so had a lit baseball stadium as the backdrop for our wedding party. Then we went for a few innings of the day game the next afternoon. It is very family friendly, good sight lines, generally very reasonable prices (especially when the Pirates are bad, which is most of the time). I'm not much of a beer drinker but I've heard they have a decent selection.

We will likely be going to visit this summer so I am hoping to time it with a home game - I'm a Yanks fan but the best bet is looking like a Cardinals series in late August. I have young kids who will not be vaccinated so I will see the state of the world at the time, but an outdoor stadium should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My wife is from Pittsburgh so we go there fairly often - it is a great stadium. We got married in a hotel directly across the river in a ballroom with windows floor-to-ceiling windows facing the stadium at night during a game, so had a lit baseball stadium as the backdrop for our wedding party. Then we went for a few innings of the day game the next afternoon. It is very family friendly, good sight lines, generally very reasonable prices (especially when the Pirates are bad, which is most of the time). I'm not much of a beer drinker but I've heard they have a decent selection.

We will likely be going to visit this summer so I am hoping to time it with a home game - I'm a Yanks fan but the best bet is looking like a Cardinals series in late August. I have young kids who will not be vaccinated so I will see the state of the world at the time, but an outdoor stadium should be fine.
    I have heard it is a great place to watch a game. It is probably the stadium I want to visit the most that I have a realistic shot at visiting. I have been to a game at Veteran’s Stadium in Philadelphia but not to Citizens’s Bank Park. If I had the choice of going to either, it would be PNC Park.

I have been to a few stadiums but not all, which is a goal I hope to one day accomplish.

I have been to:

Turner Field in Atlanta, Georgia several times to see the Braves but not to their new park, Truist Park.

LoanDepot Park in Miami, Florida to see a Marlins game.

Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland to see Orioles games.

Nats Park in Washington, D.C. several times for Nats game.

RFK Stadium in the Nats inaugural season.

Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois to see a Cubs game.

Busch Stadium, in St. Louis, Missouri to see several Cardinals games.

Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota twice to see Twins games.

American Family Field in Milwaukee, Wisconsin twice to see Brewers games. It was Miller Park when I was there.

“New” Yankee Stadium in the Bronx to see a Yankees game in 2009 (inaugural season).

Veteran’s Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania once to see a Phillies game.

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington in 2010 to see a Rangers game.

I had tickets to Fenway last summer to see the Cardinals at Red Sox but COVID ruined those plans.

I want to go to PNC Park, Fenway Park, Oracle Park in San Francisco, Dodger Stadium, Kauffman Stadium, and Coors Field the most probably.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I usually see a game or two every season, COVID permitting. The when the Young Turks were even younger, they did the Kids Run the Bases after the Sunday afternoon games. I might have that video somewhere. When my eldest graduated from Pitt, I toyed with the idea of renting a party suite for a celebration, but not worth the crazy stupid money they wanted. You can do Kennywood on Saturday, and the Pirates on Sunday. Our crew loved the Science Center and the Zoo, we kept memberships at both to take full advantage of our Pittsburgh trips year-round.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/press-re...ce-mask-policy

PNC is my favorite out of town park that I’ve visited. Great looking stadium and great food. Walked up to the stadium at 1215 one day because a court hearing ended early and got tix ten rows up behind third base for a 1 pm start for $15. That was some time ago though.

Stadiums I've been to

I have heard it is a great place to watch a game. It is probably the stadium I want to visit the most that I have a realistic shot at visiting. I have been to a game at Veteran’s Stadium in Philadelphia but not to Citizens’s Bank Park. If I had the choice of going to either, it would be PNC Park.

I have been to a few stadiums but not all, which is a goal I hope to one day accomplish.

I have been to:

Turner Field in Atlanta, Georgia several times to see the Braves but not to their new park, Truist Park.

LoanDepot Park in Miami, Florida to see a Marlins game.

Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland to see Orioles games.

Nats Park in Washington, D.C. several times for Nats game.

RFK Stadium in the Nats inaugural season.

Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois to see a Cubs game.

Busch Stadium, in St. Louis, Missouri to see several Cardinals games.

Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota twice to see Twins games.

American Family Field in Milwaukee, Wisconsin twice to see Brewers games. It was Miller Park when I was there.

“New” Yankee Stadium in the Bronx to see a Yankees game in 2009 (inaugural season).

Veteran’s Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania once to see a Phillies game.

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington in 2010 to see a Rangers game.

I had tickets to Fenway last summer to see the Cardinals at Red Sox but COVID ruined those plans.

I want to go to PNC Park, Fenway Park, Oracle Park in San Francisco, Dodger Stadium, Kauffman Stadium, and Coors Field the most probably.
    Old Yankee Stadium (before and after the 1970's renovations); one of the best
    Memorial Stadium (Baltimore)
    Camden Yards;
    Exhibition Stadium (Toronto, before Sky Dome; a football field being used for baseball, and not successfully);
    Rogers Centre (then known as Sky Dome)
    Old Comiskey Park and whatever they are calling the newer one this week (yes, I'm old);
    Hubert Humphrey Metrodome (saw the 1985 All-Star Game there);
    Target Field
    Tiger Stadium (magnificent; walking through the gate near home plate and seeing where Reggie hit the ball in the All-Star Game was unforgettable);
    Kauffman Stadium
    Progressive Field (when it was the Jake);
    Polo Grounds (yes, I'm old);
    Shea Stadium;
    Veterans Stadium;
    Olympic Stadium (what a dung heap);
    Fulton County Stadium (another dung heap);
    Busch Stadiums 2 and 3;
    Wrigley (spectacular);
    County Stadium in Milwaukee (walking in for the first time, I had the wonderful feeling I was transported like Marty McFly back to 1955);
    Miller Park (or whatever they call it now); probably the best domed stadium I've been in, but that isn't saying much;
    Riverfront Stadium (Cincy);
    Great American Ballpark (Cincy);
    PNC (Pittsburgh); saved the best for last. It is absolutely stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Old Yankee Stadium (before and after the 1970's renovations); one of the best
    Memorial Stadium (Baltimore)
    Camden Yards;
    Exhibition Stadium (Toronto, before Sky Dome; a football field being used for baseball, and not successfully);
    Rogers Centre (then known as Sky Dome)
    Old Comiskey Park and whatever they are calling the newer one this week (yes, I'm old);
    Hubert Humphrey Metrodome (saw the 1985 All-Star Game there);
    Target Field
    Tiger Stadium (magnificent; walking through the gate near home plate and seeing where Reggie hit the ball in the All-Star Game was unforgettable);
    Kauffman Stadium
    Progressive Field (when it was the Jake);
    Polo Grounds (yes, I'm old);
    Shea Stadium;
    Veterans Stadium;
    Olympic Stadium (what a dung heap);
    Fulton County Stadium (another dung heap);
    Busch Stadiums 2 and 3;
    Wrigley (spectacular);
    County Stadium in Milwaukee (walking in for the first time, I had the wonderful feeling I was transported like Marty McFly back to 1955);
    Miller Park (or whatever they call it now); probably the best domed stadium I've been in, but that isn't saying much;
    Riverfront Stadium (Cincy);
    Great American Ballpark (Cincy);
    PNC (Pittsburgh); saved the best for last. It is absolutely stunning.
    Used to go to the Polo Grounds during the first season of the Mets, before Shea was built. (I miss Shea, warts and all. Was a season tickets holder for the Mets and Jets there.)

It will be a good series this weekend in San Diego. A road series on the west coast vs a good club who is currently 21-17. I hope Yadi can go because in order to beat the Padres, the Cardinals will need to slow down their running game on the base paths. They lead the majors with 41 stolen bases as a team. That’s 13 more than anyone else in the big leagues. Tatis, Jr., Grisham, Machado, and Profar all have 5 or more stolen bases already this year. They have a solid lineup led by Tatis, Jr. but he’s only hitting .240 this year and although he has 9 HR, he has just 14 RBI. He’s also struck out 29 times in 96 ABs. They hit just .233 as a team, and the Cardinals hit .231. They lead the majors in team ERA at 2.82. The Cardinals lead the majors with 158 walks so that will need to get better. No free passes to a team that likes to run. The Padres staff also is tied for the most strikeouts in the majors with the Brewers at 398. The Cardinals do avoid Darvish this series which should help their cause. Defensively, the Padres have committed the second most errors in baseball thus far with 30 to 21 for the Cardinals so the Cardinals should have a bit of an edge defensively.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Not sure this will be a barometer. Padres reeling from Covid impacts to their lineup right now, although all those guys were available when the Brewers came to town and handled business.

Marine layer is in effect so the ball will most certainly not be jumping out of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Not sure this will be a barometer. Padres reeling from Covid impacts to their lineup right now, although all those guys were available when the Brewers came to town and handled business.

Marine layer is in effect so the ball will most certainly not be jumping out of the building.
    No doubt. The Cardinals will be without starting shortstop Paul DeJong who’s on the IL with a fractured rib. He joins a slew of Cardinals on the IL: Andrew Miller, Daniel Ponce de Leon, Carlos Martinez, Miles Mikolas, and Jordan Hicks. All are quality players. Hoping for a good series regardless. Being an east coast guy, the 10:10 pm ET starts are tough for me to be able to watch the entire game but I took a nap today so I should be good for 5-6 innings hopefully.

Cardinal lose 5-4 in first game of the series with San Diego. Cardinal pitchers issued 12 walks, 3 hit batters and 2 wild pitches. The Padres only had 4 hits but made the most of it. Johan Oviedo the starter issued 5 walks in 2 innings and out of his 57 pitches only 22 were strikes. Cardinal manager Mike Shildt said the pitches weren't even close enough to be called strikes. The Cardinals made a game of it with Tyler O'Neill hitting a 2 run homer in the 8th and Nolan Arenado hitting a solo blast in the 9th, but that was all she wrote.
    With Dejong on the IL, the Cards are using Matt Carpenter at 2nd and using Tommy Edman as utility man, playing outfield and SS. The other option is using Sosa at SS. Carpenter is hitting .115 for the season and is a poor fielder and poor baserunner. Edmundo Sosa the other SS is hitting .167 in limited time. Dejong wasn't hitting for a high average but he does hit the long ball and is a very good fielder. He will be missed.
    Jordan Hicks the young flame thrower was put on the 60 day IL. Needless to say, injuries are taking a toll on the roster.

Cardinals up 3 games in the lost column. Pirates and Cubbies win and Reds joined Brewers as losers last night.

GoRedbirds!
    Last edited by jv001; 05-15-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Max Moroff, 28 year old player (switch hitter) at Memphis has been called up. He's been hot in games at AAA. He's hitting .538, 4 homers, .647 OBP, 1.769 OPS. Max can play 3rd, 2nd and SS. He did pinch hit in Friday's loss and KO'd. Another option is 27 year old Jose Rondon at Memphis. Jose had a hot Spring Training and was considered for the opening day roster. He's hitting, .256, 4 homers, .304 OBP, .886 OPS. These are two other options available for the SS position while Dejong is injured.

GoRedbirds!

No doubt. The Cardinals will be without starting shortstop Paul DeJong who’s on the IL with a fractured rib. He joins a slew of Cardinals on the IL: Andrew Miller, Daniel Ponce de Leon, Carlos Martinez, Miles Mikolas, and Jordan Hicks. All are quality players. Hoping for a good series regardless. Being an east coast guy, the 10:10 pm ET starts are tough for me to be able to watch the entire game but I took a nap today so I should be good for 5-6 innings hopefully.
    Hopefully the Padres bench strength will come through for the next week. Covid Strikes .. Four starters out, Tatis , Myres, Hosmer, Profar, and Mateo off the bench.

Padres won last night, but the Cards are a very good team. Wainwright vs Paddack . Paddack still scares me on the mound. Last outing was 3 shutout innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Hopefully the Padres bench strength will come through for the next week. Covid Strikes .. Four starters out, Tatis , Myres, Hosmer, Profar, and Mateo off the bench.

Padres won last night, but the Cards are a very good team. Wainwright vs Paddack . Paddack still scares me on the mound. Last outing was 3 shutout innings.
    Yeah, the Cardinals are playing well but the walks the staff is issuing is concerning. 12 walks last night and the staff leads the MLB with 170. Hopefully Waino gives the Cardinals a good start tonight and issues minimal free passes. Arenado stayed hot last night going 3-5 with a solo HR. He’s batting .294 this year with 7 HRs and 25 RBI plus playing gold glove caliber defense at third base. So far, although it’s early, the Cardinals move to acquire him has been positive. The Padres can take the series tonight. Should be another good game.