NCAA Drops Amateurism Model

In a stunning development, the NCAA announced today that it will no longer regulate the financial relationship between university athletic departments and their student athletes, or limit student athletes' ability to engage in business relationships outside the university.

In a statement, the NCAA said "Amateurism has been a core value for the NCAA, its member universities and student athletes nationwide throughout its 111 year history. Times change, and we will now move forward with a model that allows student athletes to be compensated by the university for their efforts as well as freely pursue other financial opportunities outside the university."

A case currently at the US Supreme Court (NCAA v. Alston) may have played a role in the NCAA decision. During testimony on Wednesday, justices from both sides of the political spectrum cast shade on the notion that amateurism is sufficient reason to grant the NCAA relief from anti-trust law.

One basketball player, reacting to the news, said "Just last week I declared for the NBA draft. I'm probably not good enough to make the NBA, but even if I have to go to the G League, I can at least earn enough to buy my mom a new TV and get her car fixed. With this decision, I can stay in school and get my degree."

Duke's coach Mike Krzyzewski commented "It's sad to see players declare early for the draft when you know, as a coach, that they're not ready. If this new plan gets more players to stay four years, build their skills and get a degree, I'm all for it."

The NCAA stressed that this will not mean it's open season for schools to hire players who have no interest in academics: "We reaffirm that NCAA athletics is for student athletes. As in the past, we will aggressively monitor athletic departments to be sure every student athlete goes to class and makes progress toward a degree."

Good one!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Good one!
    Today is April 1. Correct?

Nice attempt, but it only took me halfway through the first sentence.

Sigh. I miss those days when the front page wasn't a corporate lackey...

Speaking of the old days, does anyone have a copy of the depressed teddy bear in the corner? That would have been a good one to have the past couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post

I was just wondering about that. Is the purchase when the AF posts stopped?

Speaking of the old days, does anyone have a copy of the depressed teddy bear in the corner? That would have been a good one to have the past couple of seasons.
    Or, FITS? Anyone?

And the Ram’s Club just initiated a new “Capital” campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I was just wondering about that. Is the purchase when the AF posts stopped?
    I knew when I read the headline for the second time, just after wondering where the front page "article" was? And yes, Julio explained that a couple of years ago after the purchase.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com