Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 523
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Are you talking about the mustache shenanigans? Is that the level of showboating you're referring to?

    If so, damn! I think you're really looking for reasons to hate the Zags.
    The mustache shenanigans are so in-tough, I have to love it. Itís a refreshing strut.
    Carolina delenda est

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The mustache shenanigans are so in-tough, I have to love it. Itís a refreshing strut.
    ain't got nothin' on the zoubeard though!
    basketball is back, baby!

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you're tearing down a gonzaga player for the exact same things great duke players do.
    If a Duke player ever ran that particular mustache move in a game, I would absolutely call him out on it. That would be embarrassing. And for some reason I think Coach K would as well.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you're tearing down a gonzaga player for the exact same things great duke players do.
    Easy now. That's enough friendly fire. I don't remember Duke players with disrespectful mustaches.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you're tearing down a gonzaga player for the exact same things great duke players do.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ke-blue-devils
    "Is Grayson Allen the next hated white Duke player?"
    February 9, 2016
    And, of course, Allen is a white guy in a Duke uniform, the latest vessel, the reincarnation of Christian Laettner, Chris Collins, Steve Wojciechowski, J.J. Redick, Greg Paulus and Jon Scheyer. The personas are interchangeable, and equally hard to like.

    "No other black player from any other school is hated as much as a white player from Duke,'' former Duke point guard Jay Williams said. "None.''
    ...
    "It was predominantly white fans,'' said Hill, who witnessed the Laettner era in person. "I don't know what that's about, but I find that fascinating.''

    It's not that black players at Duke have been given a pass. Shane Battier was tormented for his wrinkly scalp and called a shar pei, but the level of venom never reached what his white peers received, nor did anyone mock Battier or other black players for their ability.
    So, yeah, if Timme was at Duke...1.) he'd be hated more, 2.) we'd likely defend him.

    Do NOT want this thread to get of course with this "debate", but had to point out the obvious difference.

    (So, yeah, I'm saying I agree with you.)

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Easy now. That's enough friendly fire. I don't remember Duke players with disrespectful mustaches.
    Iím not altogether sure what constitutes a disrespectful moustache...other than that of Adolf Hitler, of course.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is my perspective as well. If they stop being one of the best programs of the last decade to not win a championship, my interest will wane. Then they are just another good program. Until then, they are Davids to me.
    For those saying if the Zags don't win the NCAAT don't tell this forum the 1999 Duke team was the best in the country and the best Duke team ever. Take a look at the overall work.

    GoDuke!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    If a Duke player ever ran that particular mustache move in a game, I would absolutely call him out on it. That would be embarrassing. And for some reason I think Coach K would as well.
    You are really moving the goal posts.

    I think we are wasting way too much bandwidth on Southernís Stephen A Smith-esque hot takes. He doesnít like Gonzaga for reasons most of the rest of us donít understand. Letís move on - the squeaky wheel doesnít need the grease.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You are really moving the goal posts.

    I think we are wasting way too much bandwidth on Southernís Stephen A Smith-esque hot takes. He doesnít like Gonzaga for reasons most of the rest of us donít understand. Letís move on - the squeaky wheel doesnít need the grease.
    Not true at all, as Iíve consistently said I view the Zags as the Goliath of this Tournament and donít like Timmeís antics. But I agree we should move on.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    For those saying if the Zags don't win the NCAAT don't tell this forum the 1999 Duke team was the best in the country and the best Duke team ever. Take a look at the overall work.

    GoDuke!
    I'm quite happy for the 1999 duke team to be considered the best duke team ever
    basketball is back, baby!

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    For those saying if the Zags don't win the NCAAT don't tell this forum the 1999 Duke team was the best in the country and the best Duke team ever. Take a look at the overall work.

    GoDuke!
    I do get a 1999 vibe from Gonzaga/Baylor this year - clearly the 2 best teams in the country on a collision course for the national championship game. Everyone has been singing Gonzaga's praises all year (justifiably so, they are truly great), but could Baylor be underestimated and pull off the upset?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I do get a 1999 vibe from Gonzaga/Baylor this year - clearly the 2 best teams in the country on a collision course for the national championship game. Everyone has been singing Gonzaga's praises all year (justifiably so, they are truly great), but could Baylor be underestimated and pull off the upset?
    Yes. Although I'm not sure Baylor will be in the Finals.

    I'm convinced the Zags are going to be in the Finals. 538 gives them a 83% chance of beating UCLA, which is crazy high but still sounds low to me.

    Zags-Baylor would be a wonderful game. When is the last time the two preseason favorites a) proved themselves as the favorites throughout the year and b) met in the Finals?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yes. Although I'm not sure Baylor will be in the Finals.

    I'm convinced the Zags are going to be in the Finals. 538 gives them a 83% chance of beating UCLA, which is crazy high but still sounds low to me.

    Zags-Baylor would be a wonderful game. When is the last time the two preseason favorites a) proved themselves as the favorites throughout the year and b) met in the Finals?
    In 2000-2001, Arizona was pre-season #1 and Duke was pre-season #2. They met in the finals and Duke was of course victorious. However, they were not end-to-end 1/2 during the season...Duke was in the top 4 throughout entering the tournament as the #1 ranked team. Arizona fell all the way to #21 at one point and entered the tournament as the #5 ranked team.

    Before that, the '98-'99 season had Duke #1 and UConn #2 pre-season. UConn slipped to 4 and entered the tournament ranked #3. Duke slipped to 4 at one point and entered the tournament #1.

    That's just my Duke knowledge though, there may be others more recently.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    In 2000-2001, Arizona was pre-season #1 and Duke was pre-season #2. They met in the finals and Duke was of course victorious. However, they were not end-to-end 1/2 during the season...Duke was in the top 4 throughout entering the tournament as the #1 ranked team. Arizona fell all the way to #21 at one point and entered the tournament as the #5 ranked team.

    Before that, the '98-'99 season had Duke #1 and UConn #2 pre-season. UConn slipped to 4 and entered the tournament ranked #3. Duke slipped to 4 at one point and entered the tournament #1.

    That's just my Duke knowledge though, there may be others more recently.
    Bah, as though any non-Duke stats matter.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    In 2000-2001, Arizona was pre-season #1 and Duke was pre-season #2. They met in the finals and Duke was of course victorious. However, they were not end-to-end 1/2 during the season...Duke was in the top 4 throughout entering the tournament as the #1 ranked team. Arizona fell all the way to #21 at one point and entered the tournament as the #5 ranked team.

    Before that, the '98-'99 season had Duke #1 and UConn #2 pre-season. UConn slipped to 4 and entered the tournament ranked #3. Duke slipped to 4 at one point and entered the tournament #1.

    That's just my Duke knowledge though, there may be others more recently.
    Somewhat relatedly, Kenpom found that preseason media rankings are better predictors of NCAA tournament performance than end of season media rankings. That has always amazed me. A lot of it has to do with the dumb ways media rankings are adjusted as the season goes on, but still amazing.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Somewhat relatedly, Kenpom found that preseason media rankings are better predictors of NCAA tournament performance than end of season media rankings. That has always amazed me. A lot of it has to do with the dumb ways media rankings are adjusted as the season goes on, but still amazing.
    Yep. Although I thought it was Nate Silver/538 that had that thesis? Maybe they both did...can't find a link to either at the moment.

    Found this one that compares pre-season poll with end of season RPI:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...eseason-polls/
    RPI is admittedly garbage and has been replaced obviously.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm quite happy for the 1999 duke team to be considered the best duke team ever
    Definitely the best to never win the Championship [ducks to avoid canned tomatoes being thrown from '86 lovers]. In all seriousness, I put that team right up there with the '92 team as far as best ever. Only time I woofed hard about Duke definitely winning a title. It was at a UConn friend/fan in the days leading up to the game. I take full responsibility for us losing that one.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Bump. Game day. Here are some links for pregame reading.

    USA Today: Ranking the 10 best college basketball players in the men's NCAA Tournament Final Four

    Here's a ranking of the best players still standing in Indianapolis, based on college basketball prowess, tournament performance and NBA potential.
    Spoiler alert: Drew Timme, Jared Butler, Jalen Suggs, Johnny Juzang, Corey Kispert, Quentin Grimes, Davion Mitchell, Jaime Jaquez, Joel Ayayi.

    Yahoo Sports: The top eight men's college basketball coaches still searching for their first Final Four

    Here are the top eight coaches who haven't been to a Final Four ó in order of most likely to get there first:
    Or don't read it: Leonard Hamilton, Sean Miller (?), Matt Painter, Chris Mack, Mark Turgeon, Mike Brey, Buzz Williams, and Steve Alford.

    Washington Post: The transfer portal has taken Houston, Baylor, Gonzaga and UCLA to the Final Four

    In Saturdayís Final Four matchups, eight of the 20 projected starters from Gonzaga, Baylor, Houston and UCLA will be transfers. With more than 1,000 players reportedly already in the transfer portal this year, these Final Four squads are perhaps a glimpse of what future college rosters will look like.
    CBS Sports: Transfer trend will be on full display during NCAA Tournament title chase

    By comparison, there were a total of five transfers who started in Final Four games during a decade's worth of Final Fours between 2006 and 2015.
    Good subject, though somehow the articles never mention Bo Ryan's quote about rent-a-players, and one of them talks about the 2019 tournament without mentioning Texas Tech at all. I did learn that each 2021 Final Four team has a starter who transferred from the SEC: Houston's Reggie Chaney (Arkansas), Baylor's Davion Mitchell (Auburn), UCLA's Johnny Juzang (Kentucky), and Gonzaga's Andrew Nembhard (Florida).

    Finally, a tweet that shows Bill Walton's bracket is not entirely busted right now, and was probably in good shape for the Sweet 16:

    Dave Pasch @DavePasch

    Bill Waltonís Final Four: USC, Colorado, Oregon State, Oregon (despite being in USCís region), UCLA (despite that you can only have 4 teams in the final four).

    6:45 PM ∑ Mar 14, 2021

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Baylor - Houston game off to an entertaining start.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  20. #80
    Baylor is good. I am now hoping for Baylor/Gonzaga so we can get a top tier final.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 131
    Last Post: 03-30-2021, 11:11 PM
  2. 2021 NCAA West Regional Thread (Gonzaga, Iowa, Kansas, Virginia)
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 03-30-2021, 09:47 PM
  3. Replies: 110
    Last Post: 03-30-2021, 09:13 AM
  4. Replies: 191
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 07:08 PM
  5. WBB Region Final: Baylor 51, Duke 48
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •