Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Jordan Goldwire will Grad Transfer to Oklahoma

Breaks my heart, but it's the right move for him. Nobody bet on himself and won more than Goldwire.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sp...al/6991747002/

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Breaks my heart, but it's the right move for him. Nobody bet on himself and won more than Goldwire.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sp...al/6991747002/
    I didn't see this one coming. I wish him well..

Good move for Jordan. Thanks for being a great Blue Devil.

Best of luck on your next move. Hopefully he finds a mid-major that allows him to play 30+ minutes every game.

Bummer. JGold played starter minutes for Duke so playing time shouldn’t be the issue.

I'm surprised that he took a 5th year but am torn as to whether leaving Duke was the right move.

I suppose Jordan thinks he has pro potential that he could not showcase at Duke. I suspect there was a real scenario where he would not get 20 or so minutes per game next year at Duke and he wanted to play somewhere with more guaranteed playing time.

I see this as a sign that Duke is pretty confident about landing Keels, which would create a somewhat crowded backcourt. I also suspect this may stem from DJ Steward recognizing that he needs to show some PG skills to maximize his NBA stock. If DJ gets some time at PG, that could really crowd out Goldwire's minutes. And Duke had Wendell Moore running the point a fair bit late in the season too. If Griffin is a stud playing around 30 minutes per game at the 3, that will push Moore into the backcourt rotation and someone is going to get squeezed. I suspect Jordan realized it would be him.

I wish him well. Kid gave it 100% every single moment.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Thanks and best of luck - I'll be pulling for you.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Best of luck JGold! Thanks for a great 4 years

Maybe he was told Roach and Steward were coming back and Keels is coming in?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

Regardless, he will be missed.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I thought he was leaving because of his and the team’s senior night social media posts. I just didn’t anticipate him grad transferring.

Does this mean that Keels is coming and/or DJ isn’t testing the waters (which I’ve read is a possibility)?

Or does this mean that he simply wants to try something new? As a side note, he and Alex O. were good friends I think. J Gold’s mom told me at the ACC tournament in Charlotte that he had grown up playing basketball in the Atlanta area with Alex and Wendell Carter, and had known them both since middle school.

I think we will miss his upper class leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Breaks my heart, but it's the right move for him.
    Why? He's not going to get close to the NBA and would have been a valuable role player on a good team next year. Obviously there might be personal reasons involved, but I don't really see a strong basketball case for the move. Good luck to him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Why? He's not going to get close to the NBA and would have been a valuable role player on a good team next year. Obviously there might be personal reasons involved, but I don't really see a strong basketball case for the move. Good luck to him though.
    I'd say it's difficult to imagine or guess what a 22 year old's motivation is. Maybe he's tired of Durham. Maybe he wants a bigger role. Maybe he has a GF in another town. Maybe he wants to be closer to his family.

It's absurd to try and guess unless he tells us.

Best of luck, Jordan!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'd say it's difficult to imagine or guess what a 22 year old's motivation is. Maybe he's tired of Durham. Maybe he wants a bigger role. Maybe he has a GF in another town. Maybe he wants to be closer to his family.

Totally agree. All I'm saying is I don't think there's a strong case from a basketball-only perspective.

Wishing “Fair winds and following seas” to Jordan Goldwire in all future endeavors. It was a pleasure watching him develop over his four years at Duke.
    Bob Green

Whatever is good for him is what he should do. But, man I liked this guy. And, in my fantasy world where I have Div I skills, I would not have wanted to be guarded by him.

Jordan Goldwire is an amazing story. Came to Duke with the credentials of Andre Buckner (260 career minutes in four years at Duke) and leaves having started 27 games and holding the Duke single-season record in steals percentage. Good luck, young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Totally agree. All I'm saying is I don't think there's a strong case from a basketball-only perspective.
    Depends on what “basketball only” means. From an “I want to play as much as I can in my last year of college bball” perspective, he obviously made the right choice, as I suspect we will look to upgrade the guard rotation next year either with Keels or someone else, and he could go somewhere else and be a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Best of luck, Jordan!
    While sorting through the bad news, there's always the approach -- "There's gotta be a pony in here somewhere." Maybe he has info that Trevor Keels is coming to Duke.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Specifically to next year, is there a distinction between Jordan transferring out rather than grad transferring... since they get a free year next year. Thanks...

"I want to thank Coach K, the coaching staff and administration for helping me grow, mature and become a better player these last four years and giving me an opportunity to play for one of the greatest programs," said Goldwire. "In talking with my family and the coaching staff, I have made the decision to enter my name in the portal as a grad transfer and take advantage of my fifth year. My time at Duke has been one of the best experiences of my life, and I want to thank the Duke family, fans, Cameron Crazies and my teammates for making it so special."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide