Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    I was curious why Golwire wasn’t named captain, he seemed like an obvious choice. Maybe he wasn’t completely happy at Duke? If so, nothing wrong with that necessarily. You want every player to be happy obviously, but it’s not easy to have a roster of 12 or so players and have them all completely happy with playing time, roles, etc. even if they all buy in to the coaches vision.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I was curious why Golwire wasn’t named captain, he seemed like an obvious choice. Maybe he wasn’t completely happy at Duke? If so, nothing wrong with that necessarily. You want every player to be happy obviously, but it’s not easy to have a roster of 12 or so players and have them all completely happy with playing time, roles, etc. even if they all buy in to the coaches vision.
    I think Jason asked this question (and its a good one). Coach decided to do leadership teams (unofficially) where Joey, Goldwire, and Wendell (I think) were involved. It's definitely a new thing--pretty sure it started this year.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    I think Jason asked this question (and its a good one). Coach decided to do leadership teams (unofficially) where Joey, Goldwire, and Wendell (I think) were involved. It's definitely a new thing--pretty sure it started this year.
    Yup, I asked Nate about it during the season and he said, "the team knows who the captains are," which struck me as sorta odd. I asked K about it on a press conference late in the year and he talked about the "leadership teams" which he said is something that is fairly common in the business world. He is not incorrect about that, but it still strikes me as odd. I will be very interested in seeing if we see something like that again this year with no announced captains. If so, then it would appear that K has chosen a different way of handling the captain roles. But, if we see a return to announced captains then I think we can infer there was something about the upperclassmen on this year's team that did not lend itself to being acknowledged leaders.

As I said on the podcast when discussing this, there is nothing wrong with someone not being the type of person who is a leader. It is simply not part of the DNA and personality of everyone. I think this was the case with Goldwire in particular as his time in the program and role on the team would otherwise really lend itself to being named a captain.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, I asked Nate about it during the season and he said, "the team knows who the captains are," which struck me as sorta odd. I asked K about it on a press conference late in the year and he talked about the "leadership teams" which he said is something that is fairly common in the business world. He is not incorrect about that, but it still strikes me as odd. I will be very interested in seeing if we see something like that again this year with no announced captains. If so, then it would appear that K has chosen a different way of handling the captain roles. But, if we see a return to announced captains then I think we can infer there was something about the upperclassmen on this year's team that did not lend itself to being acknowledged leaders.

As I said on the podcast when discussing this, there is nothing wrong with someone not being the type of person who is a leader. It is simply not part of the DNA and personality of everyone. I think this was the case with Goldwire in particular as his time in the program and role on the team would otherwise really lend itself to being named a captain.
    Interesting issue. I had wondered all season about why no captains were appointed. IMO, it was because no one player fully met Coach K's team captain criteria and expectations.

Coach K's response confuses the issue. In industry, there are often multiple leaders, but the issue here is does management make one or more team member's leadership "official" by some title, such as captain. In the heat of battle leaders are empowered by having an official endorsement of their leadership.

And in multiple leadership situations, more often than not, some are more equal than others. Explicit or implicit hierarchies develop which determine relative authority when there is disagreement and/or urgent situations.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Also interesting is that I think in the military, there are well-defined "leaders" beginning at the top... not "leaders by committee" or "leadership teams". Seems out of step with this

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Interesting issue. I had wondered all season about why no captains were appointed. IMO, it was because no one player fully met Coach K's team captain criteria and expectations.

Coach K's response confuses the issue. In industry, there are often multiple leaders, but the issue here is does management make one or more team member's leadership "official" by some title, such as captain. In the heat of battle leaders are empowered by having an official endorsement of their leadership.

And in multiple leadership situations, more often than not, some are more equal than others. Explicit or implicit hierarchies develop which determine relative authority when there is disagreement and/or urgent situations.
    Well, being a "captain" of a sports team doesn't give any powers to make substitutions, run the offense or defense, etc. It is honorary and advisory. "Team leaders" is, like, well ... so what?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think I missed the memo. We didn’t have captains this year? Has this happened before?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, being a "captain" of a sports team doesn't give any powers to make substitutions, run the offense or defense, etc. It is honorary and advisory. "Team leaders" is, like, well ... so what?
    Right, it doesn’t bestow executive authority, but it bestows personal leadership authority,which, though intangible, is real and powerful.

Those of us who have played team sports, and who have been captains, know that being a captain is not a trivial thing. Team members look up to you for guidance, correction and inspiration—IF they feel that you have earned it.

Also, it may be that Coach K does in fact bestow some tangible authority to his team captains.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Right, it doesn’t bestow executive authority, but it bestows personal leadership authority,which, though intangible, is real and powerful.

Those of us who have played team sports, and who have been captains, know that being a captain is not a trivial thing. Team members look up to you for guidance, correction and inspiration—IF they feel that you have earned it.

Also, it may be that Coach K does in fact bestow some tangible authority to his team captains.
    Well, K is probably more astute than the players who chose captains when I played. We had captains, but when it was time for a player to take charge, as in "Coaches, will you leave the dressing room so the players can talk," it actually wasn't the captains who took over.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I think I missed the memo. We didn’t have captains this year? Has this happened before?
    Dude, you need to listen to the DBR podcast. I discussed this extensively over the course of the season and frequently asked questions about it of Duke coaches during press conferences that I then played on the podcast.

I believe it was unprecedented at Duke to not have anyone formally named captain. Late in the season, K began referring to all the non-freshmen who were Duke returnees (Goldwire, Baker, Moore, Hurt) as the "leadership team" but none of them were formally named a team captain.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, K is probably more astute than the players who chose captains when I played. We had captains, but when it was time for a player to take charge, as in "Coaches, will you leave the dressing room so the players can talk," it actually wasn't the captains who took over.
    Wholeheartedly agree. I have no doubt that K picks his captains well -- players who have the solid respect of their teammates, not just as players, but as leaders.

Goldwire commits to Oklahoma. Good luck to him.

https://twitter.com/247Sports/status...65764526379012
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Oklahoma is transfer central... they just got the Groves brothers over the weekend.

OU has a pair of PGs who could come back but probably won't.

Austin Reeves is in the NBA draft after averaging PTS 18.3, REB 5.5, and AST 4.6. His draft stock ain't too high but it seems like he wants to turn pro.
    De'Vion Harmon was more of a combo guard but wants to go somewhere that he can play with the ball in his hands more. There's been talk linking him to Kentucky and he is also thinking about the NBA draft. He averaged 12.9 PTS, 3.4 REB, and 2.1 AST.

If either returns, then Jordan is likely looking at a backup kinda role but I think both are likely going elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Goldwire commits to Oklahoma. Good luck to him.

https://twitter.com/247Sports/status...65764526379012
    So, my surfing theory is toast.

Best of luck young man!

Thanks, Jordan, and best of luck in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Best of luck young man!
    I’m thinking “try regional cuisine” is probably out too.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Some really good music in OK but mostly a ways away in Tulsa. Also maybe not the college kid’s jam.

Best of luck to JGold. Kid accomplished way more at Duke than was expected when he was signed as a mostly “practice player”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Best of luck young man!
    I have had some small business interests in Oklahoma. When we went to meet the people and close the deal about a decade ago we brought some managers, a lawyer and an accountant or two. No one except me and my majority partner had ever set foot inside the state. My partner was Air Force Academy and there's a lot of Air Force stuff in the state (Tinker AFB). I had family in the state (in-laws in Oklahoma City and Norman), but I wanted extra credit for having lived in Lawton OK -- on a farm, by God -- when Dad was stationed at Fort Sill. I got no credit because I was only 2 YO at the time -- but I tell you I remember many things clearly -- the only time I ever lived anywhere near a farm... cisterns. windmills, cornfields, pig sty, Guinea hens, plus "Calfie," my friend who I let out of the barnyard and my Dad had to chase down the highway.

It's a pretty different place. Good luck, Jordan!
    Sage Grouse

Lol, virtual sporks.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Well

Probably, but I'm sure the barbecue is different in Oklahoma.