Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    It does seem like there should be some actual rules for the grad transfer.

As it stands, there aren’t many 1 year programs that would be actually helpful to the average athlete (or to the average college grad). Going forward, I wonder if Big State U’s will create a 1-year masters program in some directly-applicable specialty that would have no intention of being especially academic but might be helpful to athletes or to other folks who want a 1-year additional credential that could help them be productive: “Reading, writing, and arithmetic for citizens” or some sort of 1 year business degree. It could be a masters or a “certificate” in lieu of an actual degree.

As for Oklahoma, the alma mater of my parents and over a dozen cousins, my favorite line is from the former college president, senator, governor David Boren: “at Oklahoma, we’re working hard to create a university that our football team can be proud of.”
    Duke already has this in the form of the GLS program: https://liberalstudies.duke.edu/
    "Duke GLS is a flexible, self-designed master’s program grounded in the interdisciplinary liberal arts. With part-time and full-time options, we offer learners of all ages and backgrounds strong academic and professional development support and access to the scholars and resources of one of the finest universities in the world."

Of course, GLS can be very academic, just depends on what the person wants given it is "flexible" and "self-designed."

I'm sure many other institutions have something similar. And a 1-year business program (MMS: Foundations of Business).

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    It does seem like there should be some actual rules for the grad transfer.

As it stands, there aren’t many 1 year programs that would be actually helpful to the average athlete (or to the average college grad). Going forward, I wonder if Big State U’s will create a 1-year masters program in some directly-applicable specialty that would have no intention of being especially academic but might be helpful to athletes or to other folks who want a 1-year additional credential that could help them be productive: “Reading, writing, and arithmetic for citizens” or some sort of 1 year business degree. It could be a masters or a “certificate” in lieu of an actual degree.

As for Oklahoma, the alma mater of my parents and over a dozen cousins, my favorite line is from the former college president, senator, governor David Boren: “at Oklahoma, we’re working hard to create a university that our football team can be proud of.”
    Funny - I was looking for that exact same quote to use in my post above. From my research, the quote was actually by George Lynn Cross, who was president much earlier than Boren (1943-1968). Until a few minutes ago I had not heard of either one.

Grad transfers are not limited to one year programs. Theoretically they are getting their first year on scholarship, but I assume they are generally welcome to stay around if they so choose. I'm generally not holding my breath on that happening often, but it is an option.

I am less concerned about grad transfer rules since by having actually graduated, they have achieved the goal and anything else is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Funny - I was looking for that exact same quote to use in my post above. From my research, the quote was actually by George Lynn Cross, who was president much earlier than Boren (1943-1968). Until a few minutes ago I had not heard of either one.

Grad transfers are not limited to one year programs. Theoretically they are getting their first year on scholarship, but I assume they are generally welcome to stay around if they so choose. I'm generally not holding my breath on that happening often, but it is an option.

I am less concerned about grad transfer rules since by having actually graduated, they have achieved the goal and anything else is gravy.

Ah, you're right about the quote--it looks like Boren was repeating a line that Cross, the earlier OU president, spontaneously muttered during a contentious funding discussion with the state legislature. The two of them combined to run OU for almost 50 years, with Cross's 25 years (1943-1968) edging out Boren's 24 years (1994-2018); Boren left the US Senate in 1994 to take the OU job. Boren was a conservative Democrat; fwiw, all of Oklahoma's senators since his 1994 departure have been Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Duke already has this in the form of the GLS program: https://liberalstudies.duke.edu/
    "Duke GLS is a flexible, self-designed master’s program grounded in the interdisciplinary liberal arts. With part-time and full-time options, we offer learners of all ages and backgrounds strong academic and professional development support and access to the scholars and resources of one of the finest universities in the world."

Of course, GLS can be very academic, just depends on what the person wants given it is "flexible" and "self-designed."

I'm sure many other institutions have something similar. And a 1-year business program (MMS: Foundations of Business).
    Yes. The MMS program emerged at the beginning of the last recession and was a godsend for people graduating from college with liberal arts degrees into a weak job market--it gave them a way to develop sound business related skills (not unlike the undergrad MMS certificate program) without having to find an MBA program that would admit them right out of college (which is rare). But it also offers a good alternative for post-grad transfers or Duke athletes who get undergrad degrees without using up all of their eligibility.