Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    KenPom ranked us #33 before the NCAAT. Torvik ranks us #32. Even the NET, which presumably would tell us the NCAA's opinion of what kind of team "we lost like," rated us #49. According to Pomeroy and Torvik, there were 25+ teams in the NCAA tournament that were worse than Duke.

Yes, this was Duke's worst season in 26 years but CDu's correct, we weren't that bad.
    A good team doesn’t go 13-11, especially when playing in a not so great conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    A good team doesn’t go 13-11, especially when playing in a not so great conference.
    That feels like a pretty spoiled statement.

We didn’t wind up with great results. But we were a pretty good team. Not a great team, but definitely a top-50 team.

I know it is sacrilege here, but can we focus this thread on Jordan and not make it yet another rehash of this years team where people are talking past each other and no minds will be changed?

Thanks to Jordan for a great four years at Duke. It was a pleasure watching him progress and find ways to maximize his abilities and contribute. I am sorry to see him go but it is not for me to tell him what to do. I am sorry that he didn’t get a senior day to properly recognize his contributions - seniors days are becoming increasingly rare.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I once asked this trivia question in DBR Chat: how many points did Jordan Goldwire score in Duke's 23-point comeback at Louisville on February 12, 2019?

Answer: zero. But he still got a Jordan Goldwire Appreciation Thread on DBR the very next day.

More from the DBR Archives:

2017 Basketball Recuiting Thread (May 1, 2017 at 2:46pm ET)

Welcome to Duke, Jordan Goldwire! (May 1, 2017 at 8:52pm ET)

I'm calling it: Jordan Goldwire is Tyler Thornton 2.0 (November 15, 2017)

ALL ACC Awards (Hurt First Team, Goldwire Defensive Team, Steward Rookie Team) (March 8, 2021)
    Man, I had forgotten about my “Tyler Thornton 2.0” prediction, probably because I was almost laughed off the board for it at the time. Obviously he didn’t have quite the impact of Tyler, but in hindsight that call looks a LOT better than it did in 2017

JGold was such a solid program player who had so much heart. Will never forget him being the catalyst to the comeback against UL. Sad to see him go but will pull for him wherever he lands. Could be a good coach someday soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hmm, I hadn’t seen that stat before. How is steals percentage determined? And who were some of Duke’s other single-season steals percentage leaders?
    It's a percentage of steals of possessions played. The stat only goes back to 1987, when the boxscore stats they kept first allowed tracking possessions.

Jordan's steals% this season was 4.5%. The record was formerly held by Zion, at 3.9%. Other guys who have had steals% of 3% or better include: Jordan Goldwire in 2020; Tre Jones in 2019; Matt Jones in 2017; Tyler Thornton in 2013 and 2014; Seth Curry in 2011; Dave McClure in 2007; Sean Dockery in 2006; and Shavlik Randolph in 2005. There were others over 3% before that, but to my knowledge Jordan is the first Duke player (since at least 1987) to top 4% for a season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    CDu's correct, we weren't that bad.
    We were bad enough.
    By y'alls same logic, when we have good teams, and are debating if we should get a #1 seed, those early losses shouldn't be in play. It goes both ways. This year was an end to end bad year. It's not debatable. (Of course you will debate it, because that's what DBR does, but it's not a debate that you will win.)

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We didn’t wind up with great results. But we were a pretty good team. Not a great team, but definitely a top-50 team.
    In all the years I've been on DBR, that statement has yet to be cause for celebration.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 03-27-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

best of everything to Jgold......forever in the brotherhood....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We were bad enough.
    By y'alls same logic, when we have good teams, and are debating if we should get a #1 seed, those early losses shouldn't be in play. It goes both ways. This year was an end to end bad year. It's not debatable. (Of course you will debate it, because that's what DBR does, but it's not a debate that you will win.)

In all the years I've been on DBR, that statement has yet to be cause for celebration.
    I didn’t say it needs to be celebrated. But it doesn’t need to be denigrated.

I didn’t say it needs to be celebrated. But it doesn’t need to be denigrated.
    If you're satisfied with mediocrity ...

We were bad enough.

It also isn’t necessarily cause for disappointment considering the type of season that just took place. I don’t judge any team against normal expectations given COVID. I didn’t even find the games to be appointment viewing given the up and downs of the schedule and season.

There are lots of ways to lose 11 games. A record alone does not determine how good a team is.

Jeez, dude. It’s one season. In a pandemic. With a bunch of missed games. And a key player leaving mid-season. It’s an aberration. No one is “satisfied with mediocrity,” but that doesn’t mean you have to overreact.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

We were bad enough.

I agree . This was an off season for Duke basketball. Last 2 games were good and a reason for optimism. Duke athletics needs a very good Basketball team to make the NCAA tournament for revenue for all Duke sports.

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    Jeez, dude. It’s one season. In a pandemic. With a bunch of missed games. And a key player leaving mid-season. It’s an aberration. No one is “satisfied with mediocrity,” but that doesn’t mean you have to overreact.
    I'm not satisfied with the pandemic.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

May all his BB dreams come true.

Good luck to Jordan. I wonder where he will end up? Do you think some of these guys that are transferring have an idea where they will go before they announce? Also I suppose that if he doesn’t get a satisfactory situation he can come back?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

This year’s Duke doesn’t matter to next year’s opportunity. We are not going 13-11 and 9-9 in conference next year. And honestly we weren’t that bad this year, just a bit unlucky in close games.

I meant either a lower/bottom-tier power-conference school (like a Wake, Georgia, Vanderbilt) or a mid-major.
    You are putting way too much weight on the result of 2-3 possessions over the course of a season.

We played like a top-40 team. We got a bit unlucky and it deflated our record. We were not a bad team, like at all.

Even with the losses we were a bubble team. If 2 more possessions go our way, we are comfortably in the field. I think it is an incredibly pretty spoiled attitude to say we were a bad team.
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    With that same logic we won a couple of games by getting lucky though didn’t we??
    We were 2-6 in very close games. We got more unlucky than lucky. That is specifically why I said “2” instead of “5” or “6”.
    KenPom ranked us #33 before the NCAAT. Torvik ranks us #32. Even the NET, which presumably would tell us the NCAA's opinion of what kind of team "we lost like," rated us #49. According to Pomeroy and Torvik, there were 25+ teams in the NCAA tournament that were worse than Duke.

Yes, this was Duke's worst season in 26 years but CDu's correct, we weren't that bad.
    According to KenPom we were the 347th most unlucky team out of 357. Their definition of luck is "A measure of the deviation between a team's actual winning % and what one would expect from its game-by-game efficiencies. Essentially a team involved in a lot of close games should not win (or lose) all of them. Those that do will be viewed as lucky (or unlucky)."

Kenpoms final ranking of 36 is probably about right. We were slightly or somewhat better than tournament teams like Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon St, Clemson, Missouri, Utah St, VCU, Drake, Georgetown, Michigan State, and many more NCAA low seeds.

So yes, we obviously weren't bad for college teams in general but also yes we were unlucky and yes 36th for Duke is pretty bad.

PS - Thanks to Goldwire! Loved watching him play.

5 thoughts...

1. I did not see this coming. But after the shock, I can perhaps understand. His role would probably not improve next year, especially if Keels comes. If he wants more minutes or more exposure, transferring is perhaps a good idea.

2. Some posts alluded to the NBA, and that this decision doesn't make sense wrt to being in the Association. Perhaps people forget that professional hoops job exist all over the world. Players can have quite a lucrative career. They won't make LeBron money, but they can make millions. If Goldwire can showcase skills, improve his game with more game time and lead a team at PG, he can build his resume for a future pro job overseas (at the very least). And remember, his resume already has "Duke" on it.

3. I remember when Duke signed him, very late in the process. Immediately I thought Duke would eventually have an upperclassman PG with experience. I was thinking about someone in the Tyler Thornton mold. JGold was different, but he did what I had hoped. The man made the All-ACC Defensive Team as a senior. It's actually more than I could have ever asked for.

4. We will remember the Louisville game. We will remember that late bucket against Carolina in the 2019 ACC Tournament. We will remember a kid that couldn't hit a 3 pointer at all early on, but late in his senior year was shooting ~35% from distance. And we will remember a guy could hound an opposing PG.

5. There haven't been all that many transfers from Duke that I have lamented. Maybe only Elliot Williams - i wish he had stayed, but I could understand why he left. But I will miss JGold most of all, and now I will be pulling for him wherever he ends up (just don't go to an ACC school, please!). Best of luck to him!

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That feels like a pretty spoiled statement.

Time to make that T-Shirt money!

DUK286-2T.jpg

(Truly not picking on you, but totally enjoying a moment to laugh since our top 50 team isn't playing tonight.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."