Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I really wish these young men weren’t in such a hurry but we live in an instant gratification culture these days. One of the great joys in days gone bye was watching a role player blossom as a junior or senior.

Brakefield displayed energy so I am certain he is going to be a success somewhere.
    I wish the NBA wasn’t in such a hurry and let kids develop into solid players.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I kinda think there's a coach standing in the way of that. K seems to be the kind of coach who feels that if you aren't 100% committed to Duke, you aren't playing at Duke. I think entering the transfer portal coming from Duke is one-way trip. He'll discuss it with you behind closed doors as much as you like, and he'll respect whatever decision you make, whenever you make it. But once the decision is public, well, you are no longer a member of the Duke team.

But technically, yes. You can put your name in and still return to the same institution.
    We had a certain grad transfer this tear that kinda sorta did that. Then again, he didn't really *play*.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Jaemyn had potential. He really was inconsistent from game to game. He may find a starting position at another School. If Duke does not get Keels,just hope Coaches can find a transfer that can give us instant spark off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The NBA is in no hurry at all but kids who want to get paid to play ARE...

Will miss JBrake but it’s understandable. Could this mean Hurt is returning? Between Griffin, Banchero, and Baker, there seem to be minutes to be had at the 3 and 4 positions for a guy like Jaemyn.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Will miss JBrake but it’s understandable. Could this mean Hurt is returning? Between Griffin, Banchero, and Baker, there seem to be minutes to be had at the 3 and 4 positions for a guy like Jaemyn.
    I doubt it has much to do with Hurt. But I don’t think there are many minutes to be had. Because you omitted Wendell Moore and Coleman. And even as is, I would expect Griffin and Banchero to play all but about 20 of those minutes at the 3 and 4. Add in Moore, Baker, and Coleman, and the pickings get slim quickly.

This was not at all surprising to me. By midseason I had a feeling that at least one of Brakefirld/Coleman/Williams would be transferring. There just weren’t going to be minutes for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I doubt it has much to do with Hurt. But I don’t think there are many minutes to be had. Because you omitted Wendell Moore and Coleman. And even as is, I would expect Griffin and Banchero to play all but about 20 of those minutes at the 3 and 4. Add in Moore, Baker, and Coleman, and the pickings get slim quickly.

This was not at all surprising to me. By midseason I had a feeling that at least one of Brakefirld/Coleman/Williams would be transferring. There just weren’t going to be minutes for everybody.
    I was assuming, perhaps erroneously, that Wendell would be more part of the guard rotation, but if we say that Moore would play some 3 and Banchero and Coleman some 4 and some 5, then I still see 50 to 60 minutes to be had at the forward positions, which seems like a three person split between Griffin, Baker, and someone else.

Went straight to Rupp Rafters. Predictably enough, they have a thread about Brakefield leaving. Flattering, honestly. Still, I'm somewhat surprised by this. He got plenty of burn this year, but I guess minutes next year would have been tight. I envisioned him as a 4 year player. maybe he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Went straight to Rupp Rafters. Predictably enough, they have a thread about Brakefield leaving. Flattering, honestly. Still, I'm somewhat surprised by this. He got plenty of burn this year, but I guess minutes next year would have been tight. I envisioned him as a 4 year player. maybe he didn't.
    He may see himself as a 4 year player. Probably not (cus he came to Duke). But he’s behind Moore, Griffin, Banchero, possibly Hurt, and maybe Coleman to play the 4 next year. He wasn’t going to get more than 10 minutes.

I can’t blame the kid for leaving.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    He may see himself as a 4 year player. Probably not (cus he came to Duke). But he’s behind Moore, Griffin, Banchero, possibly Hurt, and maybe Coleman to play the 4 next year. He wasn’t going to get more than 10 minutes.

I can’t blame the kid for leaving.
    I don't blame him either. I think it's fair to say he exceeded everyone's expectations for this season. Someone is getting a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    I was assuming, perhaps erroneously, that Wendell would be more part of the guard rotation, but if we say that Moore would play some 3 and Banchero and Coleman some 4 and some 5, then I still see 50 to 60 minutes to be had at the forward positions, which seems like a three person split between Griffin, Baker, and someone else.
    Not sure where you are getting that math. There are 120 minutes total between the 3, 4, and 5 spots. Williams, Banchero, and Griffin are going to eat up 85-90 of those minutes. That leaves 30-35 total minutes to be distributed among Baker, Moore (who will presumably play some backcourt and some frontcourt), and Coleman. That is not a lot of minutes.

My money is still on Joey Beard. He is a legend.

How much do we think the fact he can immediately play next year weighed into the decision? In past years would his age and a year sitting out change that decision?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrduke21 View Post
    How much do we think the fact he can immediately play next year weighed into the decision? In past years would his age and a year sitting out change that decision?!
    Who knows? Ask him? Anything here would be conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Who knows? Ask him? Anything here would be conjecture.
    Is that not what happens on the board? I mean, recruiting talks and the entire minutes thread is based on conjecture.

Why does me asking if new NCAA rules change player behavior and decisions strike a cord with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrduke21 View Post
    Is that not what happens on the board? I mean, recruiting talks and the entire minutes thread is based on conjecture.

Why does me asking if new NCAA rules change player behavior and decisions strike a cord with you?
    Apologies. Perhaps I'm a little salty about the transfer. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I kinda think there's a coach standing in the way of that. K seems to be the kind of coach who feels that if you aren't 100% committed to Duke, you aren't playing at Duke. I think entering the transfer portal coming from Duke is one-way trip. He'll discuss it with you behind closed doors as much as you like, and he'll respect whatever decision you make, whenever you make it. But once the decision is public, well, you are no longer a member of the Duke team.
    I think you're confusing Coach K with Coach Cut. Cut certainly feels that way about recruits that de-commit.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Apologies. Perhaps I'm a little salty about the transfer. Carry on.
    It's been a odd year... We are all a little uneasy and on edge . Me included!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Williams/Coleman never even came to mind as transfer possibilities. Brakefield did.

While I’m disappointed because I think he’s going to be good, not surprised at all - especially with the way the transfer rules are this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Without having any knowledge, this feels like a fairly amicable breakup. Very likely saw the writing on the wall in terms of PT next year. I really enjoyed him and thought he'd be killer for us as a JR/SR. Will always love how he powered us to that win over UVA.

Best of luck Jaemyn!
    The idea of true difference-maker Juniors and Seniors — unless Duke were to get them through transfer — is a quaint notion at this point.