Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I am by no means a pro at deciphering cryptic tweets, but Andrew Slater seems to imply that Brakefield is heading to Ole Miss. That would be 2 players for them this week, along with the verbal they got from the Louisville de-commit, Eric Van Der Heijden from Raleigh.

I forgot to add that Slater’s latest tweet seems to indicate that he thinks there will be a “mass exodus” from UNC and Michigan State, among others.
    Last edited by SavDukeGrad; 03-24-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The idea of true difference-maker Juniors and Seniors — unless Duke were to get them through transfer — is a quaint notion at this point.
    Wow. Really? In the last five years do you not consider Grayson Allen, Amile Jefferson, or Matt Jones to be difference makers? I certainly would expect to add Wendell Moore to that list next year ...

What were Jaemyn's expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    I don't blame him either. I think it's fair to say he exceeded everyone's expectations for this season. Someone is getting a good player.
    Don't disagree with you about JB's exceeding expectations...or at least living up to them.

Which leads me to wondering: What were his expectations? Did he significantly overestimate his abilities? Did he not fully understand the typical Duke b-ball/Coach K dynamics -- that if he didn't carve out a core rotation role, he would be challenged the next year by incoming phenoms and perhaps get even less PT?

Or, was he an intentional OAD -- not with respect to the NBA, but at Duke. In other words, Duke provided him a great G League, developmental experience from which to move on to a place where he can gain more burn. Wouldn't be an illogical strategy.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Wow. Really? In the last five years do you not consider Grayson Allen, Amile Jefferson, or Matt Jones to be difference makers? I certainly would expect to add Wendell Moore to that list next year ...
    I didn’t say in the last five years. I said “at this point”. Five years seems like a lifetime ago. Things have changed in just the past year. Every year it gets less and less likely that all-ACC caliber sophomores will return to Duke for their Junior or Senior season.

Maybe you see more in Moore than I have to this point. He doesn’t fit my idea of a true difference-maker (at least all-ACC third team).

I don’t like when any Duke guys transfer. Ever since I can remember, anyone who puts a Duke jersey on is a legend and idol to me. Brakefield was so darn impressive to me offensively as a freshman. I was really looking forward to him having a sensational career at Duke. I am a bit sad tonight, admittedly. His midrange game is great and he showed a good 3 point shot at times this year.

I wish him luck wherever he lands and hope he finds what he’s looking for. I’ll always pull for the kid. Thanks for the memories, bud.

Good timing

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I forgot to add that Slater’s latest tweet seems to indicate that he thinks there will be a “mass exodus” from UNC and Michigan State, among others.
    Considering that this a no-cost transfer year, I can see why UNC players would want to leave a program whose seniors have finished each of their four years with a season-ending blowout. After a while it stops being an anomaly and becomes an expectation.

Realistically, and empathetically, no one should fault Brakefield. Truly the best decision for him. Not only would Brakefield's minutes have been reduced in '21-'22, looking at '22-'23, he may have been faced with the exact same lack of playing time. An opportunity (say, an SEC school with a questionable mascot), is an ideal place for him. Immediate heavy minutes, with the likelihood that he will not face an incoming freshman who could realistically challenge him. As many have said, there is nothing negative anyone could reasonably say about Brakefield. Great kid. Great teammate. I hope he becomes a star.

Get used to this my Duke friends.This is the new 1 and done.This is today's reality kids have a lot of options now.I don't like this for college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassdevil1 View Post
    Great kid. Great teammate. I hope he becomes a star.
    Totally agree - unless he's playing Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I don’t like when any Duke guys transfer. Ever since I can remember, anyone who puts a Duke jersey on is a legend and idol to me. Brakefield was so darn impressive to me offensively as a freshman. I was really looking forward to him having a sensational career at Duke. I am a bit sad tonight, admittedly. His midrange game is great and he showed a good 3 point shot at times this year.

I wish him luck wherever he lands and hope he finds what he’s looking for. I’ll always pull for the kid. Thanks for the memories, bud.
    My thoughts exactly. We will miss you Brake. Best of luck young man and thanks.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Get used to this my Duke friends.This is the new 1 and done.This is today's reality kids have a lot of options now.I don't like this for college basketball.
    It's been happening for years, both Duke and other schools. This year is different due to the expected exemption to sitting a year out. Should it become permanent, though...

-jk

Jaemyn did have the best photo from the year IMO:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLioPACA...=1asx5si25h5du

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Wouldn't say this is new at all. Duke has had a slew of transfers over last twenty years.

Those names include: Derrick Thornton, Jordan Tucker, Semi Ojeleye, AOC, Eric Boateng, Jamal Boykin, Taylor King, Elliott Wiliams, Olek Czyz, Sean Obi, Rasheed Suliamon, and Chase Jeter.

When you consider that we've lost basically twice that in the same time to the pros - transfers aren't gonna be a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    His midrange game is great and he showed a good 3 point shot at times this year.
    Jaemyn shot 20% on two-point jumpers (2 for 10). I don't know if that qualifies him for a great midrange game. He had a good run early in the season from three, but only ended up 31% for the season (and over 46% of his shot attempts were threes, so 31% is a bit of a problem).

He wasn't going to play much next year and you can't blame him for taking the "free" transfer. Hopefully we won't have any other unexpected departures.

I wish Jaemyn success in the future.

Any time a freshman’s minutes dwindle as the season progresses, that generally means they’re transferring so I’m not surprised. Was hoping all these guys would be back so I’m a little dissapointed, but I wish him the best. He’ll be a good player wherever he ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassdevil1 View Post
    Realistically, and empathetically, no one should fault Brakefield. Truly the best decision for him. Not only would Brakefield's minutes have been reduced in '21-'22, looking at '22-'23, he may have been faced with the exact same lack of playing time.
    I think Brakefield would have had every opportunity to compete with Henry Coleman to be the first big off the bench (assuming Banchero and Williams both start). And with his shooting, he could win that role.

As for '22-'23...who has any idea what the rosters will look like then?

Mostly I'm surprised because he exceeded my expectations in terms of freshmen contributions. Did he think he'd be contributing even less next year?

Brake....we'll always have UVA.

Give 'em hell, big fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Jaemyn shot 20% on two-point jumpers (2 for 10). I don't know if that qualifies him for a great midrange game. He had a good run early in the season from three, but only ended up 31% for the season (and over 46% of his shot attempts were threes, so 31% is a bit of a problem).

He wasn't going to play much next year and you can't blame him for taking the "free" transfer. Hopefully we won't have any other unexpected departures.
    Hey Kedsy, thanks for making us feel a little better about Brakefield leaving. Now I can sleep in peace tonight. 😉

best of luck to the young man ! thanks for giving your time to duke....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I really liked his attitude, and it seems to me that he fully committed while he was here. Seemed like a really likable guy, too. I will miss him.
    I wish him the best with his new team, wherever that may be. If he goes to Ole Miss, I hope he can enjoy kicking a little Kentucky butt a couple of times a season.