Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Brakefield in transfer portal

Welp, there goes our first transfer. Jaemyn.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1...772902401?s=20

Brakefield is gone...

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Welp, there goes our first transfer. Jaemyn.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1...772902401?s=20
    And anyone who is shocked by this hasn't been paying attention. Having said that, I wish him well.

Surprised by this. I thought Duke was his dream school. He also got more burn than I would have expected.

I wish him the best; really liked his energy and game.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    And anyone who is shocked by this hasn't been paying attention. Having said that, I wish him well.
    Really? Dang, I honestly had no clue. What should I have been paying attention to?

Not hugely surprising. I think down the stretch when his minutes dwindled as Williams came on and then even Coleman seemed to move ahead of him in the rotation. With Duke bringing in a 3/4 in Griffin, a 4/5 in Banchero, and still going after a 3/4 in Baldwin... well, it is sorta hard to see what kind of role Brakefield plays next year that is more than another deep bench role. And while many of us can see a nice role for him down the line, when he is a junior or senior, in this day and age it is really tough to ask kids to wait like that. It just isn't in the current hoops culture for many kids to wait.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Really? Dang, I honestly had no clue. What should I have been paying attention to?
    His lack of playing time in certain games, the incoming recruits, and the overall scene of the transfer portal in the last couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not hugely surprising. I think down the stretch when his minutes dwindled as Williams came on and then even Coleman seemed to move ahead of him in the rotation. With Duke bringing in a 3/4 in Griffin, a 4/5 in Banchero, and still going after a 3/4 in Baldwin... well, it is sorta hard to see what kind of role Brakefield plays next year that is more than another deep bench role. And while many of us can see a nice role for him down the line, when he is a junior or senior, in this day and age it is really tough to ask kids to wait like that. It just isn't in the current hoops culture for many kids to wait.
    Beat me to it. Well said.

Really disappointing, but I totally get it. Was excited to see what he could develop into as an upperclassman at Duke. Good luck at your next stop, Jaemyn.

Without having any knowledge, this feels like a fairly amicable breakup. Very likely saw the writing on the wall in terms of PT next year. I really enjoyed him and thought he'd be killer for us as a JR/SR. Will always love how he powered us to that win over UVA.

Best of luck Jaemyn!

Nothing will surprise me this year. All bets are off.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I'll miss Jaemyn for sure. He surely would have been a solid contributor as he progressed. A junior or senior Brakefield would have been very valuable.

If he's the only one that transfers out, we will be fine (even with Matthew potentially going to the NBA). Keeping my fingers crossed everyone else is in this for the long haul - which in today's climate is just one more season.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Nothing will surprise me this year. All bets are off.
    I'm willing to bet that all bets are off.

Well put. Not a huge surprise, but I was hoping for the best. He is also very old for his year - he turned 20 in December of his freshman year, and is 9 months older than Wendell, who is a year ahead of him.

Best of luck to Jaemyn in the future (as long as he isn't playing Duke!)

I just REALLY wish that 3 went down for Jaemyn and Duke's sake. Not saying that would have changed this outcome, but would have possibly changed the season's trajectory. Of course, we may have been a COVID scratch anyways but who knows what happens in that alternate universe. Best of luck to Jaemyn. He showed promise in flashes definitely.

Without his performance vs. UVA, I don't think Duke would have won its biggest game of the season. He had a tendency to stick his tongue out like MJ after big plays. I was looking forward to more of that. But like most of us, I simply wish him well (yes, as long as he doesn't play vs. Duke).

Brakefield is gone, but just wondering - can one pull their name *out* of the xfer portal? Is it like declaring for the draft, but not hiring an agent?

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Perfectly stated. The waiver coming out this summer, it made more sense for him to play where he could get minutes somewhere else. I wonder if the staff could have convinced him to stay if he had to sit out? We'll never know.

Still a bit of a logjam at forward for next season, even moreso if Baldwin is still in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Brakefield is gone, but just wondering - can one pull their name *out* of the xfer portal? Is it like declaring for the draft, but not hiring an agent?
    I kinda think there's a coach standing in the way of that. K seems to be the kind of coach who feels that if you aren't 100% committed to Duke, you aren't playing at Duke. I think entering the transfer portal coming from Duke is one-way trip. He'll discuss it with you behind closed doors as much as you like, and he'll respect whatever decision you make, whenever you make it. But once the decision is public, well, you are no longer a member of the Duke team.

But technically, yes. You can put your name in and still return to the same institution.

And while many of us can see a nice role for him down the line, when he is a junior or senior, in this day and age it is really tough to ask kids to wait like that. It just isn't in the current hoops culture for many kids to wait.
    I really wish these young men weren’t in such a hurry but we live in an instant gratification culture these days. One of the great joys in days gone bye was watching a role player blossom as a junior or senior.

Brakefield displayed energy so I am certain he is going to be a success somewhere.
    Bob Green

This doesn’t surprise me. With who we have coming next season, PT was going to be harder to come by. Best of luck to Jaemyn. Seems like a good young man.