Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Davis named his staff - keeping May and Frederick and adding Jeff Lebo, which accomplishes the goal of having someone with extensive head coaching experience. I always thought of Lebo as being a lot older but Davis and Lebo overlapped at UNC for a year. Jackie Manuel as director of player development - looks like he spent the past year working with the UNC women's team. Robinson (assistant coach) and Kendall Marshall (director of recruiting) are gone.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...coaching-staff

I can see why they wouldn’t retain the director of recruiting, but I was surprised about Robinson. After 18 years he seemed like a lifer.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I can see why they wouldn’t retain the director of recruiting, but I was surprised about Robinson. After 18 years he seemed like a lifer.
    Could be like the business world where two Executive Committee members are up for the CEO title. Usually, the candidate who doesn't win leaves the company.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Davis named his staff - keeping May and Frederick and adding Jeff Lebo, which accomplishes the goal of having someone with extensive head coaching experience. I always thought of Lebo as being a lot older but Davis and Lebo overlapped at UNC for a year. Jackie Manuel as director of player development - looks like he spent the past year working with the UNC women's team. Robinson (assistant coach) and Kendall Marshall (director of recruiting) are gone.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...coaching-staff
    OH NO, NOT LEBO!!!!!!!

One of my favorite chants.

This is when you find out whether you’re in the family or not.

18 years of service? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Could be like the business world where two Executive Committee members are up for the CEO title. Usually, the candidate who doesn't win leaves the company.
    That could be. At least Davis was smart enough not to make Sean May his Strength and Conditioning Coordinator.

I guess Doh was a Duke guy.
    Ha! That's probably the way many Carolina fans remember him. 2-7 versus Duke with scores like 79-53, 93-68, and 87-58 will do that to you.

May and Manuel have AFAM degrees, so they know how the "Carolina Way" works.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This is when you find out whether you’re in the family or not.

18 years of service? Nope.
    I thought I heard somewhere that Robinson is retiring. He's 63 and may not have wanted to start again with a new head coach, so that's not that hard to believe.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    https://247sports.com/Article/Roy-Wi...ll--163471191/

Kessler clearly didn't get a 70-year old to retire, but he may have sped things up. Or, for another metaphor, Kessler was the straw that broke the camel's back.

And while not fair to put it on Kessler, I do think the mentality of 5-star recruits today is different than that of 5-star recruits 10 years ago.
    Thanks for that.

This part is hilarious to me:

As for Williams’ thoughts on the transfer portal, he hasn’t been afraid to make them public. Speaking in March, he raised concerns regarding immediate eligibility for first-time transfers.

“I think it will be the most significant piece of legislation that’s ever happened in college basketball,” Williams said March 10. “I'm old school. I believe if you have a little adversity, you ought to fight through it, and it makes you stronger at the end. I believe when you make a commitment, that commitment should be solid. And it should be to do everything you can to make it work out. We have all, even you guys on this screen here, have seen guys come in as freshmen that were okay or not good. They were better sophomores and they were better juniors and they were better seniors. And they were drafted.
    Did he forget about the time he got Cam Johnson from Pitt and got the waiver for immediate playing time? I guess that didn't bother Roy too much, did it?

I guess ending his career on hypocrisy is pretty on-brand for Ol' Huck.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Thanks for that.

This part is hilarious to me:

Did he forget about the time he got Cam Johnson from Pitt and got the waiver for immediate playing time? I guess that didn't bother Roy too much, did it?

I guess ending his career on hypocrisy is pretty on-brand for Ol' Huck.
    I'm not one to defend Roy but I put grad transfers like Johnson in a different bucket than undergrad transfers (and I kind of liked the old rules where the NCAA did the same). Just did a little research and UNC has had a few non-grad transfers under Roy to prove your point, though neither was a major contributor - Wes Miller and KJ Smith.

I'm not one to defend Roy but I put grad transfers like Johnson in a different bucket than undergrad transfers (and I kind of liked the old rules where the NCAA did the same). Just did a little research and UNC has had a few non-grad transfers under Roy to prove your point, though neither was a major contributor - Wes Miller and KJ Smith.
    Yea but they still applied for a waiver and it got granted (Johnson had TWO years of eligibility left). And he was able to get Pitt to relent on the inter-ACC transfer policy they had, as well as "team on their schedule."

It's not like Johnson had to go through any of the "hardship" Roy is blathering about. And I'm sure Roy wasn't sad about reloading without having to recruit and develop a freshman after winning a natty.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...nsfer-unc-pitt

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Yea but they still applied for a waiver and it got granted (Johnson had TWO years of eligibility left). And he was able to get Pitt to relent on the inter-ACC transfer policy they had, as well as "team on their schedule."

It's not like Johnson had to go through any of the "hardship" Roy is blathering about. And I'm sure Roy wasn't sad about reloading without having to recruit and develop a freshman after winning a natty.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...nsfer-unc-pitt
    He had two years remaining because he graduated in three years. Kudos to him for being able to graduate in three years - that's not something to ding him for. The waiver was to Pitt refusing to let him transfer within the conference, which is a policy that has since largely been eliminated. If I recall, Swofford kind of strong-armed Pitt into waiving it, which was admittedly a little dodgy, but this is far from the most egregious policy violation I have ever seen because in this case, it was kind of a dumb rule, which is why it no longer exists.

He had two years remaining because he graduated in three years. Kudos to him for being able to graduate in three years - that's not something to ding him for. The waiver was to Pitt refusing to let him transfer within the conference, which is a policy that has since largely been eliminated. If I recall, Swofford kind of strong-armed Pitt into waiving it, which was admittedly a little dodgy, but this is far from the most egregious policy violation I have ever seen because in this case, it was kind of a dumb rule, which is why it no longer exists.
    Do we think Swofford would have strong-armed UNCheat if the situation was reversed?😡😡

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    You may be right. But life is not a jinx thread. I’m gonna hate those cheating, soulless bastards with every bone in my body and wish them the worst of luck, always. And I’ll never think twice about doing so.
    I'm gonna put that on a T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I thought I heard somewhere that Robinson is retiring. He's 63 and may not have wanted to start again with a new head coach, so that's not that hard to believe.

Howard
    Anyway, Robinson's coaching bio (per Wiki):
    Code:
    Coaching career (HC unless noted)
    1983–1986	Radford (assistant)
    1986–1988	Cornell (assistant)
    1988–1995	Kansas (assistant)
    1995–1997	Tulsa
    1997–2002	Florida State
    2002–2003	Kansas (assistant)
    2003–2021	North Carolina (assistant)
    Seven years a Div I head coach. Came with Roy from Kansas.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Brooks to Mississippi State
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Davis named his staff - keeping May and Frederick and adding Jeff Lebo, which accomplishes the goal of having someone with extensive head coaching experience.
    Lebo won 36% of his SEC games at Auburn and never made a NCAA tourney in 6 seasons there. He then went on East Carolina where he won (you guessed it) 36% of his conference games in the AAC/ConfUSA over 8 seasons and never even made the NIT, let alone the NCAA tourney.

Yup, he's just the person I want to see giving Hubert in-game coaching advice. Excellent hire!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Lebo won 36% of his SEC games at Auburn and never made a NCAA tourney in 6 seasons there. He then went on East Carolina where he won (you guessed it) 36% of his conference games in the AAC/ConfUSA over 8 seasons and never even made the NIT, let alone the NCAA tourney.

Yup, he's just the person I want to see giving Hubert in-game coaching advice. Excellent hire!
    some people just don't appreciate the beauty of consistency!

Well

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

It would not be my ideal, but I'd be okay with UNC winning 36% of its conference games. My ideal is 0%.