Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ...Sounds more like strike three - you're out.
    Intentional walk.

Or intentional Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well, we'll know the truth anyway. I live out of state where things like this are completely under the radar. Hell, the entire academic scandal went under the radar outside of the state of North Carolina and the Duke community. That's just the reality. The DBR community is locked into stuff like this, but we are by far and away the exception.
    I blame that on ESPN/HEEL NETWORK. Not even much if anything said by Jay Bilas.

GoDuke!

I remember being shocked when Kessler committed to the cheats. It never made sense to me he would want to go there with three other bigs to compete with for PT. He will probably be a good get for Auburn and Bruce Pearl. I still don’t see him lighting up the college basketball world and becoming an all american.

I just took a short journey over to IC to see the crazy reaction to Kessler's move to Auburn and one really caught my eye. One poster brought up Pearl's trouble at TN. Only a Heel fan could bring up that when his team had years of academic fraud that was swept under the rug.

GTHC!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hubert is getting it done. The official IC post mortem referred to Davis's trip to see the Kesslers as+" a home run," a further example of the unc grading system for athletics.
    At his introductory press conference, Davis made it clear that retaining Kessler was his #1 priority. It appears to have taken much of his focus since then, the staff flew out to meet Kessler’s family for a whole day and have been talking with them every day. Which means they’ve spent less time evaluating prospects out of the portal and working with their own players, putting their eggs in the Kessler basket only to come away with nothing. Good times.

Davis has yet to coach a single game, his roster is bleeding players, he hasn’t even finalized his staff, and he has promised to change his entire offense while simultaneously keeping it the same. Quite a position to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    At his introductory press conference, Davis made it clear that retaining Kessler was his #1 priority. It appears to have taken much of his focus since then, the staff flew out to meet Kessler’s family for a whole day and have been talking with them every day. Which means they’ve spent less time evaluating prospects out of the portal and working with their own players, putting their eggs in the Kessler basket only to come away with nothing. Good times.

Davis has yet to coach a single game, his roster is bleeding players, he hasn’t even finalized his staff, and he is planning to change his entire offense while at the same time keeping it the same. Quite a position to be in.
    Wait, he's changing the offense? I thought he originally said he wasn't changing the offense/play style. I don't think not having a finalized staff is a negative right now, staffs are rarely finalized that quickly.

Davis has yet to coach a single game, his roster is bleeding players, he hasn’t even finalized his staff, and he has promised to change his entire offense while simultaneously keeping it the same. Quite a position to be in.
    Please don't jinx it UC..

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Wait, he's changing the offense? I thought he originally said he wasn't changing the offense/play style.
    He said he was going to keep things fundamentally the same, but also add some wrinkles. One quote that I saw had him describing his plan as adding a new top floor to a house that has a solid foundation, or something to that effect. It sounded to me like he wants to change things but also doesn't want to disrespect Roy or Dean by suggesting that their system no longer works.

He said he was going to keep things fundamentally the same, but also add some wrinkles. One quote that I saw had him describing his plan as adding a new top floor to a house that has a solid foundation, or something to that effect. It sounded to me like he wants to change things but also doesn't want to disrespect Roy or Dean by suggesting that their system no longer works.
    So building over the ceiling/roof??

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I just took a short journey over to IC to see the crazy reaction to Kessler's move to Auburn and one really caught my eye. One poster brought up Pearl's trouble at TN. Only a Heel fan could bring up that when his team had years of academic fraud that was swept under the rug.

GTHC!!!!!
    Maybe the guy was saying that Pearl was a rank amateur as a cheater compared to the professionals in Chapel Hill.

Or maybe he was referring to this image. I know I wouldn't want to play for a guy who would go out in public like this:

https://www.slamonline.com/college-h...l-coach-again/

Would love to see 0-28 next year, but, being realistic, I’ll settle for 7-21.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Intentional walk.

Or intentional Walker.
    A hanstravel fan! 😋😎

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I'm so sad to be wrong about Kessler.
    Your penance is to drive down Franklin street and throw back any diploma that flies through the window...unless they toss you a M Div degree. I could use that one, look good on my office wall.

Tough for the Heels. Auburn is a good program. Coach can be a little sketchy -- but passionate. I maintain that Auburn was the Champion over Virginia if not for the influence of the referees. That was a good team and the better team. Virginia was the media darling because they got tossed out as a #1 the previous year. Refs wouldn't call an obvious double dribble. Calls were going for Virginia. And of course that "3 point" foul in the corner would have never been called in a championship in any other league -- even though it may have been a foul. Sounds like Kess was tired of the UNC drama mill.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Tough for the Heels. Auburn is a good program. Coach can be a little sketchy -- but passionate. I maintain that Auburn was the Champion over Virginia if not for the influence of the referees. That was a good team and the better team. Virginia was the media darling because they got tossed out as a #1 the previous year. Refs wouldn't call an obvious double dribble. Calls were going for Virginia. And of course that "3 point" foul in the corner would have never been called in a championship in any other league -- even though it may have been a foul. Sounds like Kess was tired of the UNC drama mill.
    Those two UVa wins (Purdue and Auburn) have to be the most improbable back-to-back comeback games in the final seconds in E8/F4 history. Truly remarkable. Certainly, they caught some breaks, but they also executed. (The only 'mistake' was Jerome missing the FT by accident, which ended up being quite fortuitous...wish we could have done that when RJ tried to miss the FT and made it by accident...).

When Kessler turned us down to play for the CHeats I was admittedly really disappointed. But when I look at it now...
    - We got Mark Williams instead
    - Kessler helped tanked their team while still showing in the FSU game that he has talent
    - Then he acts as the final "nail in the coffin" pushing Roy towards retirement
    - Hubert Davis says during his opening press conference that his first priority is to get Kessler back
    - Kessler leads them on for days only to leave them at the altar again

I'm beginning to think he was a mole planted by K all along! At the very least he is Harrison Barnes 2.0.
    Duke was hoping to bring in Kessler AND Williams. After missing on Kessler, Duke tried to pivot to Dickinson but it was too late. The time and energy Duke expended on recruiting Kessler could have more profitably spent on recruiting Dickinson.

Which isn't to say that Dickinson wouldn't have gone to Michigan anyway. But Duke clearly misread Kessler's intentions. Duke thought they were in great shape with Kessler.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke was hoping to bring in Kessler AND Williams. After missing on Kessler, Duke tried to pivot to Dickinson but it was too late. The time and energy Duke expended on recruiting Kessler could have more profitably spent on recruiting Dickinson.

Which isn't to say that Dickinson wouldn't have gone to Michigan anyway. But Duke clearly misread Kessler's intentions. Duke thought they were in great shape with Kessler.
    That's all true, but Michigan was recruiting both Kessler and Dickinson heavily, and Dickinson only committed after Kessler chose UNC. But for us to go full force after both guys, we probably wouldn't have been able to also make Mark Williams feel prioritized. Three would be too many. While Dickinson was obviously the best of the three as a freshman, I don't think any of us are unhappy at all to have Mark Williams in Duke blue.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    That's all true, but Michigan was recruiting both Kessler and Dickinson heavily, and Dickinson only committed after Kessler chose UNC. But for us to go full force after both guys, we probably wouldn't have been able to also make Mark Williams feel prioritized. Three would be too many. While Dickinson was obviously the best of the three as a freshman, I don't think any of us are unhappy at all to have Mark Williams in Duke blue.
    I've said it privately, but now I'll say it publicly: I'd be SHOCKED if our B1G-ACC Challenge matchup isn't Michigan this year. The storylines are all there: Juwan's role in the Fab Five era contests between the two (I won't call it a rivalry since I've been chided for that before, haha), potentially two Top 10 squads, and the likely matchup of two of the top bigs in the country in Dickinson and Williams. Michigan also did go to Cameron in the somewhat recent past (I think it was the 2013-14 season) but there was never a return date. And given all Illinois is losing a rematch there may not be quite as sexy of a matchup.

But back to the matter at hand, given the way recruiting operates nowadays does anyone here really think we had a legit shot at two of Williams, Kessler and Dickinson? I know we were active in all three recruitments, but I feel like any theory that we could've/would've/should've gotten Kessler or Dickinson along with Williams ignores the reality of the modern college game which is that anyone bordering on 5* status expects to play, if not start, right away. And given the situation we're in right now, if we had two of those guys the one who lost the starting gig would likely be in the transfer portal right now. I know we're clamoring for some depth at the traditional 5 spot next year, but I feel like these discussions are veering towards some revisionist history.

Regardless, it all worked out... Dickinson starred at Michigan, Williams looks poised to dominate for us next year, and UNC got their hearts broken by Kessler. All three are good results at least in my book
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Hope you're right

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I've said it privately, but now I'll say it publicly: I'd be SHOCKED if our B1G-ACC Challenge matchup isn't Michigan this year. The storylines are all there: Juwan's role in the Fab Five era contests between the two (I won't call it a rivalry since I've been chided for that before, haha), potentially two Top 10 squads, and the likely matchup of two of the top bigs in the country in Dickinson and Williams. Michigan also did go to Cameron in the somewhat recent past (I think it was the 2013-14 season) but there was never a return date. And given all Illinois is losing a rematch there may not be quite as sexy of a matchup.

But back to the matter at hand, given the way recruiting operates nowadays does anyone here really think we had a legit shot at two of Williams, Kessler and Dickinson? I know we were active in all three recruitments, but I feel like any theory that we could've/would've/should've gotten Kessler or Dickinson along with Williams ignores the reality of the modern college game which is that anyone bordering on 5* status expects to play, if not start, right away. And given the situation we're in right now, if we had two of those guys the one who lost the starting gig would likely be in the transfer portal right now. I know we're clamoring for some depth at the traditional 5 spot next year, but I feel like these discussions are veering towards some revisionist history.

Regardless, it all worked out... Dickinson starred at Michigan, Williams looks poised to dominate for us next year, and UNC got their hearts broken by Kessler. All three are good results at least in my book
    Coach K has a pretty good record against Juwan Howard, so I'd be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    So building over the ceiling/roof??
    The ceiling is the roof; you can’t build over it. Ask Mike, he’ll tell you.