Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Head coaching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Has it been confirmed that Robinson and May are staying as assistants ?
    Well if they’re looking for head coaching experience they could keep Steve Robinson. 7 years, 3 NCAA tournaments. If I were him, I wouldn’t want to stay.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    Well if they’re looking for head coaching experience they could keep Steve Robinson. 7 years, 3 NCAA tournaments. If I were him, I wouldn’t want to stay.
    It would take some patience for him to wait around on the bench until Hubert is no longer the head coach. You know, two or three years from now.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    King Rice has done really well at Monmouth. He was MAAC coach of the year in 2016, 2017, and 2021... but he has never made a NCAA tournament to get a bigger national showcase. I'd think he would be in line for a bigger mid-major job (like an A10, Conf USA, or AAC job) or maybe even a smaller P5 job some time soon. I'm unsure if being on the Carolina bench would have helped in that effort -- it might have -- but I don't blame him at all for deciding to stay on as a head coach. He's actually older (52) than Hubert Davis (50) so he can't really wait for the Carolina job to open up again unless Hubert totally flames out in the next few years.
    As much as I dislike the cheaters down the road, I wouldn't wish to stick them with King Rice. (Said as an uncle to a Monmouth All-NEC player (in another sport) who stays in touch with the program.)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    UNC fan co-worker told me Friday Robinson is retiring.
    So Hubert will be in need of a chief assistant who has head coaching experience; like Juwan got at Michigan with Phil Martelli.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    So Hubert will be in need of a chief assistant who has head coaching experience; like Juwan got at Michigan with Phil Martelli.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Hubert been a UNC assistant for nine years and didn't Juwan go to Michigan as head coach with zero college coaching experience? Why does Hubert need a former HC on the bench?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Why does Hubert need a former HC on the bench?
    Because UNC fans are delusional and think anybody should jump at the chance to be part of their "family."

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW I was seeing Twitter chatter last night (unfortunately I can't find the exact Tweets right now, my apologies) that indicated UNC fans are now optimistic Kessler may be returning. Another reason a thread with this title might've been a bit premature, hahaha.

That said, as I mentioned previously (forget if it was in this thread or another), if Kessler does return it is a pretty clear stain on the end of Roy Williams' legacy... regardless of what the behind the scenes reasons might be, it would certainly look like Walker desperately wanted to get away from Roy, not UNC, if he returns so soon after his Roy's retirement. So there's the potential for some schadenfreude there, I suppose.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Well

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Hubert been a UNC assistant for nine years and didn't Juwan go to Michigan as head coach with zero college coaching experience? Why does Hubert need a former HC on the bench?
    He needs someone to remind him not to use his timeouts?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW I was seeing Twitter chatter last night (unfortunately I can't find the exact Tweets right now, my apologies) that indicated UNC fans are now optimistic Kessler may be returning. Another reason a thread with this title might've been a bit premature, hahaha.

That said, as I mentioned previously (forget if it was in this thread or another), if Kessler does return it is a pretty clear stain on the end of Roy Williams' legacy... regardless of what the behind the scenes reasons might be, it would certainly look like Walker desperately wanted to get away from Roy, not UNC, if he returns so soon after his Roy's retirement. So there's the potential for some schadenfreude there, I suppose.
    It'll be very, very minimal schadenfreude if/when Kessler comes back. I'd much rather he go. Does make sense for him to come back, though -- with Sharpe and Brooks gone, no big time PF/C recruits or transfers coming in, Kessler and Bacot are both lined up to play at least 30 mpg next season. And, Kessler's play down the stretch suggests he's going to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

I'm sure they will spin it as Sharpe and Brooks leaving creating playing time that he didn't think existed before. But everyone will really know the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I'm sure they will spin it as Sharpe and Brooks leaving creating playing time that he didn't think existed before. But everyone will really know the truth.
    Well, there's the truth and then there's the IC gospel.

I live in a different state,but whats it like to be around a heal fan?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    I live in a different state,but whats it like to be around a heal fan?
    That would require a separate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Well, we'll know the truth anyway. I live out of state where things like this are completely under the radar. Hell, the entire academic scandal went under the radar outside of the state of North Carolina and the Duke community. That's just the reality. The DBR community is locked into stuff like this, but we are by far and away the exception.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    That would require a separate thread.
    Please moderator move it i need to know.Is it delusional religious stuff?Stubborn maybe to be normal?

Looks like Kessler is coming back to UNC.

inside the portal
    @InsidePortal
    Per sources close to us, Walker Kessler will be RETURNING to #UNC after entering the transfer portal.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 04-12-2021 at 03:36 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

inside the portal
    @InsidePortal
    Per sources close to us, Walker Kessler will be RETURNING to #UNC after entering the transfer portal.
    Bummer...big "pick up" for Hubert.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

inside the portal
    @InsidePortal
    That account has 281 followers and doesn't appear to be serious at all. However, I think among more serious people on twitter/message boards (an oxymoron??) there is growing sentiment WK could return to UNC.

Where there is smoke, there is a BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    That account has 281 followers and doesn't appear to be serious at all. However, I think among more serious people on twitter/message boards (an oxymoron??) there is growing sentiment WK could return to UNC.
    Won't he be blamed by the Roy faithful for accelerating Roy's retirement?

Why would Kessler come back with that stigma?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club